Can you remember the first club(s) you bought?

Absolutely. Around 1997 I got a used set of Northwestern clubs with blue grips.

First new club was later on the same year. Northwestern putter from Canadian Tire. I still have that one.

Nike VRS forged irons

I got a full set of clubs from Kunnan. I think it cost me 200 back in late 90s for full set because someone that someone knew worked there. First Name Brand club was an Odyssey putter a couple years later and that was only $60 because my buddy who worked with Coke got it through a program at work and it had a Coke logo on it. Should still have that somewhere. IN fact believe still have those Kunnans.

Titleist DCI when they were first released. The pro at the club I worked sold me the extra set he was given as a demo set for $100 back in 1990. I still have them sitting in the closet.

I can. It must have been way back in 17, XR16 Driver and wood, G30 Irons.

The first clubs I ever purchased were from a local club-builder. He had a large cardboard box full of heads and I chose one of each for which he installed shafts and grips. I had no two irons of the same model.
My first matched set was a low-cost Pro-Select set that I bought from my local shop. I played those until my first fitting. Actually my Dad wound up buying the same set so they couldn't have been that bad.

The first set of club I paid for myself were prima III irons. They were. Ping zing knock off.

Orlimar tri metal! That thing was a beast

I think it was a Ping G20 driver

Titleist DCI 981's

The first set of clubs I played that my dad bought (hand me down) were some ping eye irons. I think we still have them somewhere.

the first set I bought for myself were some Taylor made rocket bladez tour followed by AP2

Pal Joey Ping eye2 knock off irons. Back in 1994 from the Kent St UN golf course.
Fila Anser style putter from Walmart
Founders Club the Judge driver, 3w and 5w and 7w.
A couple years later a hybrid from Walmart

Wilson Super Power - starter set from a store called Best (no longer in business). Saved up my money from a paper route to be able to join my father and brothers on the course.

First purchased club would have been my Taylormade R580XD driver. Not a bad one.

Was at Sam’s Club with my mom when I saw a titanium insert (yes... INSERT) driver for $40. It was called The Devastator and I had a lot of fun hammering that on the course. Believe it had a fake “bubble shaft” design too. My dad might still have it around in the garage at his house!

Used set of blades and persimmons: 1,3,4,5 MacGregor MT Tourneys
3-9 Mac Gregor blades forget what line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first clubs I remember having were a beginners set of Wilson woods, irons, and putter. When I was 15, my dad took me to the local golf course and the pro "fit" me for Titleist 962s. That was just over 20 years ago. I love these irons, but I'm afraid it's time to upgrade. They will not be leaving my possession though!

I remember buying them, where, when, how much I spent, and even carrying them back to my barracks (was saving to buy a car at that time too). But I can't for the life of me remember the brand anymore?? It was an all inclusive box set at the base exchange on my first permanent duty station; Brooks AFB San Antonio (the base no longer exists). Got everything; bag, 12 balls, tees, towel, D, 3W, 5W 3i-PW, SW, and putter for $150 in early spring 1975.

I got a full set of clubs from Kunnan. I think it cost me 200 back in late 90s for full set because someone that someone knew worked there. First Name Brand club was an Odyssey putter a couple years later and that was only $60 because my buddy who worked with Coke got it through a program at work and it had a Coke logo on it. Should still have that somewhere. IN fact believe still have those Kunnans.

I played a set of Kunnans for a while.

My first set was the Sam Snead Blue Ridge - 1/3/5W (wood woods) and 2-PW for $90 new at Service Merchandise. I bought an Acushnet Bullseye putter to go with it.

Pretty sure the first time I spent my own money on a club, it was the TaylorMade R7. I loved that driver.

A set of cheap Spalding "Epic" blades 3-PW and laminated maple woods D,3W,5W.

Titleist 962's and 975D Driver

June 1974, just returned from a 9 month PacWest cruise wioth VF-96 on the USS Constellation. I did hair trimming and tailoring for squadron mates & also started a slush fund. Had $700 when I got back. Went to a small pro shop in San Diego looking for a set of Ping Eye 3 irons. The shop owner had a set and I hit them but was not impressed. He handed me a 7 iron and said "don't look at it, just hit it." Wow, what a great launch, flight and distance. After a number of swings with it I looked and it was a slightly used Ping Eye 2 black dot. He had the slightly used set, 2 thru SW. Bought them on the spot for $300 dollars. Played them for 5 years.

I bought a set of Taylormade RAC irons from my uncle's friend when I first started. I sucked with them. Soon after, I bought a set of Nike Slingshot 4D irons for half off from the Nike employee store.

Back