Can you use too many putters?

Akh223

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, serious question guys....Do you think you can hurt your game by having too many putters? Not talking collections, but rather the number of putters you practice with and the frequency with which you change them out?

I have only 5, but I sometimes wonder if I should pick just one and only practice and use it? Obviously if the putters were virtually identical or with only minor differences I wouldn't see how switching between putters could mess with your game. However, if you have substantially different putters, does switching back and forth cause you to putt at a lower level than if you just stuck with one putter?

I am beginning to think that I need to stick with a single putter, and it reminds me of the saying; "Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

What do you all think?

brianmk24

Albatross 2019 Club Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I would say that having too many different style putters would be a negative thing. You could ingrain muscle memory better with one putter/similar putters, although many of us are tinkerers.

Smallville

#Centurions
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I only use one. I have several.

tpluff

I <3 GAWLF
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
Play what you want, when you want. If you feel it's hurting you, change. Or done change and keep it consistent. It seems to be going alright for our staff testers!

Jman

#JakeNation
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Nope. No such thing.

lightningbolt44

Reaction score
Handicap
NO never even the thought is foreign to me :)

cbaker2882

#teamneversleep
Reaction score
Handicap
Ask Justin Rose. He seems to do ok golfing and he switches putters (even complete styles) frequently. On the other hand, people like Zach Johnson and Steve Striker are some of the best putters on tour and they have used the same putter for a long time.

IMO, and it may be wrong, but I fully believe as long as you have a solid putting stroke, and you use a putter that fits your eye, that it won't really matter. I've used a bunch of different putters/styles this year, and I always seem to have about the same number of putts no matter what I use.

greggdrews

Reaction score
Handicap
6 putts
Depends on how mental you are with switching. I think you can have as many putters as you want but if you have ones that are all very similar in style(all anser style) I don't think it will effect your consistency as much as having 2 mallets, 2 anser and a center shafted.

Misike

Reaction score
Handicap
I usually try to stick to one. But I have switched time to time to grubbed ones out and seem to putt fine that way too. Putters for me are so personal. Really have to fit my eye. Probably mostly a mental thing, lol

Wakit300

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.4
As a one putter man, I'd have to say yes

kb1042

#TeamCobra
Reaction score
Handicap
I have always felt that putting is such a feel thing. I know personally for me I could never play more then 1 putter because I am just now getting to a comfort level with what the putter will do for me. Everyone is different tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metroid

Australian Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Agree I couldnt play with more than one at a time. It takes time to get used to the feel of one, even just at the start of a round. I would imagine switching week to week or round to round would be very annoying.

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
I don't think so.

Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Handicap
Is there such a thing as "too many putters"?

links_slayer

Reaction score
Handicap
This is the first season in a long time that I've used the same putter for the entire season (although it's not over yet...) and have had generally favorable results. I guess that makes me a putter monogamist.

Shakey

#TheGolfWhisperer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 Index
I developed some serious putting issues (i.e. the yips) when I started putting to many putters into the rotation. I'm pretty sure that spending hours at a time practicing with different style/weights in the garage during the winter was the source of my problems.

My putting has gotten way better now that I've forced myself to stick with 1 shape/style/weight putter.

Jeff Spicoli

I used to be good at golf
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
History
I only use one. I only change, which is not often, when I find something I feel more confident with. I know I will be in the minority here, but I don't see the benefit of switching between putters.

Bullfrog

Huge THP Event Withdrawls
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Full swing
No you can not have too many putters... Keep them as a collection. I have roughly 15 putters. And have gamed the M6 for a couple years now.

cbaker2882

#teamneversleep
Reaction score
Handicap
I only use one. I only change, which is not often, when I find something I feel more confident with. I know I will be in the minority here, but I don't see the benefit of switching between putters.
In all honesty I wish I could find one and just stick with it, but I have a hard time with that haha. Not sure anyone would argue that there is a benefit to switching. I just don't think it's as detrimental as some say. But that's obviously going to be different for everyone.

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
I have 3 and am looking for one or two more right now. Some for collection and others to use.

Jeff Spicoli

I used to be good at golf
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
History
In all honesty I wish I could find one and just stick with it, but I have a hard time with that haha. Not sure anyone would argue that there is a benefit to switching. I just don't think it's as detrimental as some say. But that's obviously going to be different for everyone.
There is nothing wrong with having a nice collection, plus it helps the economy :).

gr8dryv

Big Boned
Reaction score
Handicap
Job & Kids
I just narrowed my "collection" down to a single putter. I have gone thru 7 in the last year with as many as having 4 in my arsenal at one time. I had to purge because having the others had me second guessing and constantly changing. I finally determined the head style that worked best for me and found 1 that felt the best. It's giving me fantastic results and I don't have any concerns about changing it. Now...about the driver....

cbaker2882

#teamneversleep
Reaction score
Handicap
Justin Rose put a mallet putter back into play at the Tour Championship after using a blade in previous tournaments. He must be a THPer

Bucketsofjoy

Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 USGA
I've got a small collection, most are very different in style. For whatever reason I just like to try something different every now and again. In my match play tournament this summer I think I used 4 different putters. This works for me, right now.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in