Cashing a Golden Ticket

That post

aka GolfOrElse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Boycotting
I thought this would be a fun thread.

It's starting to sink in that I've won the THP lottery and one of the most coveted prizes on the site 'The Golden Ticket'. For those unaware, there is a good post here about what it is.

In short THP hosts a ton of incredible experiences (for Albatross Club members) and as a Golden Ticket winner, I now have the task of choosing one to participate in. I'm finding this to be a very challenging task, let me be very clear that it's an AWESOME problem to have. But a bit of a problem nonetheless.

I thought having this thread might be a fun way to engage the board and hear some different opinions. With the announcement today that another Golden Ticket is going to be out there in the Mystery Bags this is a good place to talk about what you would do with it if you are as fortunate as I was today.

I'd love to hear from past golden ticket winners, members that have participated in experiences, and those still dreaming about it. What makes the experience you chose or was chosen for one I should seriously think about? If you haven't participated in an experience which one do you look forward to most and why?

In short, I need help from my THP brothers and sisters. I'll ultimately make my own decision for my own reason but a little crowdsourcing for opinions never hurts.

I feel so incredibly blessed to have been selected for this opportunity. Each and every experience put on by THP and their partners is an amazing realization of an internet golfers' dreams so I know the possibility of a bad decision does not exist. How exciting is that?!!?

A little about me that may or may not impact suggestions:
I took a 15ish year break from Golf and just came back to the sport seriously this past June/July.
I've been working hard on distance off the tee (and in general) for some time now.
I'm a 'data geek'.
I play every Monday and some Wednesday's and post most of my rounds in the Live thread.
I'm not committed to my bag or any particular brand. I do have a burning hatred for the SR flex clubs I have left from my Dad. Here's my WITB.

Let's have some fun with this THP. Help me make an impossible decision :)

Let's try and narrow it down a bit, if possible. Do you have a time of the year where things are a bit more hectic for you than normal? Are you better off on an event on a weekday than a weekend? You're in Ohio, so you're used to overall awful weather. Would you prefer warmer weather or something that's 50-70's?

Do you want a full bag, but you might have to pay an entry fee for? Or something with stuff included where there may not be an entry fee? Is there a part of the US you've wanted to play golf but haven't, and there's an event that might scratch that box for you?

I'd wait until more details were known about the options. For example, a standout course could be a gigantic selling point.

I would suggest talking to as many members as possible that have been at the events you may be considering. Plus, I am sure jb and such will be helping you along the way to pick the best experience for you.

It's going to be one ass-kicking ride this year for you.

Couple things to think about is the time frame that works for you also. Can you take off work whenever you want? Heck maybe you are retired and don't have that issue. (cool if you do) Is there a certain brand that interests you more than another?
A big lingering question is what does @JB have up his sleeve of experiences that haven't been announced yet? :eek:

It is a real issue for sure.
I have been to two and both where a blast.

Man I envy the golden ticket holders, but don't at the same time (no not really) for the tough choice coming up. Without a doubt the Morgan Cup should always be at the top of the list, but there's definitely some really cool other ones like the Data Experience since you say you're a data geek.

Enjoy the rollercoaster of deciding!

Let's try and narrow it down a bit, if possible. Do you have a time of the year where things are a bit more hectic for you than normal? Are you better off on an event on a weekday than a weekend? You're in Ohio, so you're used to overall awful weather. Would you prefer warmer weather or something that's 50-70's?

Do you want a full bag, but you might have to pay an entry fee for? Or something with stuff included where there may not be an entry fee? Is there a part of the US you've wanted to play golf but haven't, and there's an event that might scratch that box for you?

Good questions.
Do you have a time of the year where things are a bit more hectic for you than normal?
No, work is usually pretty consistent and we are empty nesters so no kid commitments.

Are you better off on an event on a weekday than a weekend?
Same as above. Doesn't matter.

Would you prefer warmer weather or something that's 50-70's?
70's and 80's are the sweet spots for me.

Do you want a full bag, but you might have to pay an entry fee for? Or something with stuff included where there may not be an entry fee?
Full bag would be incredible as I'm currently gaming a hodgepodge of random stuff that isn't necessarily fit to me. An entry fee is not a consideration.

Is there a part of the US you've wanted to play golf but haven't, and there's an event that might scratch that box for you?
Myrtle is what I consider to be the holy land of US golf.

I'd wait until more details were known about the options. For example, a standout course could be a gigantic selling point.
Golf Course and part of the country would be one of the biggest considerations for me.

I would suggest talking to as many members as possible that have been at the events you may be considering. Plus, I am sure jb and such will be helping you along the way to pick the best experience for you.

It's going to be one ass-kicking ride this year for you.
Exactly what this thread is for my friend! :p

I'd go with something with a competition and team aspect. Morgan Cup, Victory Cup or Budget Championship (though that may only be a partner based on the 2018 one). I wouldn't trade the relationship I was able to build with my teammates from the Grandaddy for anything.

You can look at it as what would be the most benefit to you.

Do you want 1:1 time with a company rep that can fit you into the right shafts for you. Shaft up events
Do you want the whole bag and you can handle getting fit on your own. Morgan Cup or Victory Cup (from the sounds of it)
Do you want a bucket list course with company rep time - See as the details come in.
Do you really want to dive into the details - Data Up experience I think covers this.

You just have to ask yourself what you want then that narrows it down a bit. If it was me I would pick the Victory Cup just by what I know today because I like the team competition and Mizuno clubs do not suck. lol. I did the Morgan Cup and I would highly suggest that as well if you want to get a full bag, time with 2 awesome Cobra reps, an awesome track (from the looks of it), trash talk on the forum and so much more. Just a note if you want to win then join Team Paradise.

I'd go with something with a competition and team aspect. Morgan Cup, Victory Cup or Budget Championship (though that may only be a partner based on the 2018 one). I wouldn't trade the relationship I was able to build with my teammates from the Grandaddy for anything.
I really like the team idea. Not necessarily for the competition but for the opportunity to meet and play with a bunch of THP'rs. I haven't had the opportunity to meet anyone from the forum yet so maximizing my opportunity to do so would be cool.

I would suggest that you write down a list of pros and cons. Some of The things to consider (in no particular order), in my opinion are:

Cost of event
Equipment invovled
Team competition
Travel logistics and expenses.

Best of luck in your decision. Good thing that there is no wrong answer. Every experience will be awesome.

I would look at a full bag experience if you would like new gear. I went to the Srixon event in 2019 and my affinity for that brand has remained. I am headed to the Data Experience in May and have been blown away by the data that I’ve seen through Shot Scope. Can’t really go wrong.

The announcements are going to come flowing in for experiences and I bet you are going to say, I want it that, no that one, no that one!

I wish you luck but I would have my on 2 of them. The Morgan Cup and the Mizuno Cup. Just my opinion and you can kick it down the road.

I would suggest that you write down a list of pros and cons. Some of The things to consider (in no particular order), in my opinion are:

Cost of event
Equipment invovled
Team competition
Travel logistics and expenses.

Best of luck in your decision. Good thing that there is no wrong answer. Every experience will be awesome.
I think this is a pretty good place to start, considering your previous answers.

I'm pretty sure I know which event I'd choose if I were so lucky!

I’d wait to see what was announced in terms of locations and events. A few things to keep in mind:

Some events you get gear there and some before the event itself - this may factor into your decision if you have a strong preference

Go to a PGATSS if you can and hit some of the newer clubs - all events feature the current gear so if there’s something you like or dislike, that may swing your thinking

Location and time of year - realize it may not affect you job wise but temp/allergies/etc

Good luck!!!

I'm going to follow this thread. As a first time Albatross member, I haven't followed along super closely to all the events in previous years. I don't have a Golden Ticket to cash, but it's cool to hear the details and find out that these amazing events are even more unbelievable than I could have guessed.

Seems like a tougher choice than choosing a favorite child...:ROFLMAO:

I'm going to follow this thread. As a first time Albatross member, I haven't followed along super closely to all the events in previous years. I don't have a Golden Ticket to cash, but it's cool to hear the details and find out that these amazing events are even more unbelievable than I could have guessed.

Seems like a tougher choice than choosing a favorite child...:ROFLMAO:
I cannot stress enough how going through the 2021 Grandaddy Live Update thread explains a lot. It’s worth going through all of it

I can't think of a better problem to have than deciding which THP Experience to cash your Golden Ticket in for!

Already numerous good things to consider have been posted in this thread. Personally, because of my interests, I would lean towards a team event because I enjoy them so much. Sounds like an Experience that offers a full bag is pretty important to you, which I certainly don't blame you for. The equipment decisions and ordering is a lot of fun too.

I haven't had the opportunity to meet anyone from the forum yet so maximizing my opportunity to do so would be cool.
We need to change that ASAP.... (and yes I know I was the one that couldn't make it last time we got close to a date)

Oh, and if you pick Morgan Cup and go Team Hackers don't expect any after-round drinks on me when we play this summer ;)

A few have mentioned this but I would suggest figuring out the time of the year that you CAN travel.....and go from there.

Congrats man and I cannot wait to see what you pick!!!

I would highly recommend the Morgan Cup! Great team event, great locations, great equipment and apparel, great sponsors. Can’t say enough good things about the experience. My golf performance however left a lot to be desired!:LOL:

Back