Video Chris Voshall from Mizuno

This one was unreal. Might have been my favorite.

Enjoyed the youtube meeting! Lots of good info.

Really good back and forth between you two. Got to admit, the Voshall Lives are probably my favorite so far.

Another fantastic THP Live. Chris is always a joy to listen to. Passion and knowledge are off the charts.

With the adjustable hosel, why have it to where the loft and lie are adjusted together as opposed to separate? And have you guys played with 3D printing at all?

Great chat, wanted to ask about OEM shaft adapters vs the ebay 'OEM-quality' adapters. I'm needing to pick up at least 1-2 for some shaft testing on my new ST200, wondered what Chris's thoughts are on the adapters, where to get the best quality (can you buy through Mizuno direct or is it through other suppliers)?

I'm bummed I missed it live but will definitely check it out later. Chris is always great to listen to.

awesome chat, thanks for taking the time!
@Vosh68
i noticed the dart board in the back ground are you a 501 or cricket player? say cricket..

Such a good dude. Thank you, that was great!.

Great chat today! Love that dudes enthusiasm for Mizuno.

That was good, thanks!

Question for @Vosh68 (or @JB ):
I'm really interested in the MP20 HMB irons, how forgiving would they be in comparison to let's say the Hot Metal Pros?

Sad I missed this live. Watching now.

Any thoughts towards a T400/G710 type of JPx iron?

I think all things are considered. And we will see soon what the next JPX iron line looks like.

With the adjustable hosel, why have it to where the loft and lie are adjusted together as opposed to separate? And have you guys played with 3D printing at all?

There is always a bit of give and take with regards to adapters.

That could have lasted for 6 hours hahaha!

Vosh is a trip - Although the Canada stuff was cruel! :mad:

Yeah we always have a great time chatting.

That was good, thanks!

Question for @Vosh68 (or @JB ):
I'm really interested in the MP20 HMB irons, how forgiving would they be in comparison to let's say the Hot Metal Pros?

Different irons both in design and feel. I would definitely try both of them, because you will gravitate towards one I have a feeling.

At work and won't be able to listen to this until tonight, but very much looking forward to it! Thanks Chris and THP!

Different irons both in design and feel. I would definitely try both of them, because you will gravitate towards one I have a feeling.
I do plan on hitting both, planning an iron fitting at Club Champion whenever they get opened up again out here. I am just curious how forgiving the hollow body MP20 might be, and threw the HMP in for a comparison point, knowing they are way different.

Bummed that the Copper irons aren't coming to a THP forum contest, but excited there's gonna be a chance somewhere. Those are just too sweet.

I do plan on hitting both, planning an iron fitting at Club Champion whenever they get opened up again out here. I am just curious how forgiving the hollow body MP20 might be, and threw the HMP in for a comparison point, knowing they are way different.

I think you will find similar forgiveness in terms of playability but laterally the numbers are going to be a bit different.

THIS LIVE STREAM IS OVER BUT YOU CAN WATCH THE REPLAY RIGHT HERE IN THIS POST, OR ON YOUTUBE OR FACEBOOK.

Mark the Calendars!

Monday April 20th at 11am ET for THP LIVE with @Vosh68

You will be able to watch this one of three ways.
THP Facebook Page
THP YouTube Channel
Right here in this thread

We will be taking questions about anything you want to ask. Want to ask about Mizuno Gear? No problem. There will definitely be a healthy dose of food talk? Want to just learn and have some questions you have always been afraid to ask? We got you covered. This is going to be a great one.

JB,

Thank you for asking Chris my question, which I myself had asked Chris directly , last year when he was on Sirius Radio answering listener questions.
However today, just like last year, Chris did not answer my specific question but instead trotted out the usual equipment engineer/ designer/rep rhetoric about CAD systems, MOI factors etc...
It's a simple question but when I've asked Chris (and a couple of other OEM brand company employees), they dodge the question.. Today you stated my point correctly (and I appreciate that), which is "a smaller club head size may be easier to square at impact than a a larger head size". Today Chris ignored that point/question just as he did with me last year. Instead of answering the question Chris talked about muscle back designs, a subject that is irrelevant to my point and, or, question.
Any player who wants to answer the question for themselves need only take a modern large head 6-iron out on the golf course and play a dozen shots from a variety of lies including flat, sloped, grassy, hard pan, fairway bunker etc... Next, from this same type variety of lies play a dozen shots with a relatively small head size iron. I expect that if players do this process that at least 50% of them will find it is easier to square at impact the smaller head than it is the larger head.

Wish I could have watched live but just got done watching. Always entertaining and informative with @Vosh68 !

JB,

Thank you for asking Chris my question, which I myself had asked Chris directly , last year when he was on Sirius Radio answering listener questions.
However today, just like last year, Chris did not answer my specific question but instead trotted out the usual equipment engineer/ designer/rep rhetoric about CAD systems, MOI factors etc...
It's a simple question but when I've asked Chris (and a couple of other OEM brand company employees), they dodge the question.. Today you stated my point correctly (and I appreciate that), which is "a smaller club head size may be easier to square at impact than a a larger head size". Today Chris ignored that point/question just as he did with me last year. Instead of answering the question Chris talked about muscle back designs, a subject that is irrelevant to my point and, or, question.
Ant player who wants to answer the question for themselves need only take a modern large head 6-iron out on the golf course and play a dozen shots from a variety of lies including flat, sloped, grassy, hard pan, fairway bunker etc... Next, from this same type variety of lies play a dozen shots with a relatively small head size iron. I expect that if players do this process that at least 50% of them will find it is easier to square at impact the smaller head than it is the larger head.

I cannot disagree with this more. I'm not sure if you came in late, but the first question I asked was about CAD, which he agreed was one of the biggest benefits in design the last 50 years. And listed a number of reasons why. Then he spoke about club design in general, and once again answered why so much has changed in the last 20-30 years despite what some might believe and used even the simplest of designs as an example, the MB.

You said that irons got worse the last 20-25 years (generalizing). I can't see after listening to him discuss design and manufacturing that you think the question was not answered. But I urge you to join the Albatross Club and signup for the Mizuno Event we have coming and you can dial in that answer.

With that said, we agree. All golfers should test, we just very much disagree on the results, because they do not pan out to any testing we have seen or done before in our decade plus of doing this.

I think you will find similar forgiveness in terms of playability but laterally the numbers are going to be a bit different.
Thanks, that is just what I wanted to know. Can't wait to give the Mizunos, and a bunch of others a go.

I cannot disagree with this more. I'm not sure if you came in late, but the first question I asked was about CAD, which he agreed was one of the biggest benefits in design the last 50 years. And listed a number of reasons why. Then he spoke about club design in general, and once again answered why so much has changed in the last 20-30 years despite what some might believe and used even the simplest of designs as an example, the MB.

You said that irons got worse the last 20-25 years. I can't see after listening to him discuss design that you think the question was not answered.

With that said, we agree. All golfers should test, we just very much disagree on the results, because they do not pan out to any testing we have seen or done before in our decade plus of doing this.

Early in today's video you specifically asked Chris about how head size relates to a player squaring the club head at impact. In his reply he never once mentioned head size and, or, its relevance to shot making.
Yes, in a previous post I wrote that industry's trend to larger head sizes has been counter productive for some product categories; including iron sets and fairway metal woods (when played from ground lies).
As for "testing" and, or, "fitting", the retail stores and fitting businesses essentially sell only current products. If a player wants to test traditional size (relatively small) iron or fairway metal heads he/she will need to find older, discontinued product.

Unfortunately an unplanned meeting caused me to miss this but I am going to watch the recap this evening!!

Back