Cleaning and Caring For Your Equipment.

Dish soap, water, and a club brush for the club heads. I do it any time they are dirty since I can't have dirty clubs. Just OCD about it I guess. For the grips I just dish soap every now and then which keeps them like new.

This is me. I also wipe the grips down with a soapy wash cloth about once a month. Then wipe the soap off with a wet clean towel and leave them sit out to dry overnight. I like clean clubs.

Maybe its the course I normally play, but my irons take a beating. Even when I wipe them after every shot, there is still residue. So - after every round I take them into the garage for a windex and toothbrush cleaning - spray, brush, wipe dry. I clean the grooves and the sole of the irons and woods. It all takes less than 10 minutes. Once a month or so I'll apply car wax to the crown of the woods and buff them by hand to bring out the shine.

I've thought about doing this. Since I work at a new car dealership, we have some pretty amazing polishes out back in the detail department. And some nice buffing wheels...

I use hot soapy water and either a tooth brush or my club brush (nylon only) after every round and wash my grips every other round if not after every round. I only play maybe once a month so I don't want dirt and what not sitting on them for long periods of time.

I usually get one of my towels wet before the round and will clean the face before or after a shot. After the round I don't do anything because I keep em clean during.

After a range session I'll dunk em in the bucket and scrub the face with the soft brush.

Here's a question...I see a lot of folks mention using soapy water. What does the soap do? I've never noticed it being any better than just water and if you get soap on grips, you are damaging the rubber.

Why would soap damage rubber?

I've been cleaning my grips with dish soap for years and never had any problems.

I usually get one of my towels wet before the round and will clean the face before or after a shot. After the round I don't do anything because I keep em clean during.

After a range session I'll dunk em in the bucket and scrub the face with the soft brush.

Here's a question...I see a lot of folks mention using soapy water. What does the soap do? I've never noticed it being any better than just water and if you get soap on grips, you are damaging the rubber.

Soap gets the oil from your hands out of the rubber, and it will not damage it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During a round I wipe the club head before putting it back into my bag....if it has some dirt in the grooves Ill use the brush built into my towel or a tee.

After a round I take warm water with dish soap and soak the heads for a bit then use a soft brush for the grooves / grass stains...

I am a bit OCD with my clubs though....

I use Awesome and a damp cloth. If the dirt is really caked in, I'll use a soft bristle brush.

Hot water, Dawn Dish soap, and a toothbrush. Have yet to encounter something that combo can't get off. And it that doesn't, I have something called goof off that I'd be inclined to use.

I have a club and ball washer on my golf cart. It has water and some dish soap in it (enough for suds, but not so much the suds start spilling out everytime I clean a club). In addition, I typically hand wash the clubs about once a month, usually before whatever golf outing I may have that month. I use Lamkin Gripes to clean the grips once a month.

Beyond that, with new shoes that are white, I clean those shoes after every single round with a damp cloth to help keep them looking white.

~Rock

Clean my off after each shot and if playing in muddy/wet conditions I'll clean with soap and hot water with s toothbrush.

Whats the best way to clean your clubs after a round?

I've always just used some soapy water, clean, rinse and dry, then put them back in the bag.

I now have a nice set of clubs and want to do whats best.

I wipe them with a damp towel after each shot, but beyond that I don't worry about it. I also wipe the grips to keep them clean and tacky.

Why would soap damage rubber?

I've been cleaning my grips with dish soap for years and never had any problems.

Soap gets the oil from your hands out of the rubber, and it will not damage it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the same reason you use soap is why I don't. Dish soap will remove the oils from the rubber and lead to drying and cracking. It's not a huge issue if you change grips regularly but soap and rubber are not friends. For me I don't get hand oils on grips as my hands are very dry 24/7.

I guess the same reason you use soap is why I don't. Dish soap will remove the oils from the rubber and lead to drying and cracking. It's not a huge issue if you change grips regularly but soap and rubber are not friends. For me I don't get hand oils on grips as my hands are very dry 24/7.
I used to use soap and water on my grips until I realized that the grips felt slicker after I cleaned them than before. Your soap drying rubber post explains why.

If dish soap dried out rubber, then my sink stopper wouldn't last and all of the rubber connectors on my steam cleaner wouldn't be there.

Maybe that would have been true in years past, but I find it hard to believe that the material in golf grips that we install by soaking in solvent isn't rugged enough to handle a year of being cleaned with Dawn.

I just looked up Golf Pride's recommendation for cleaning grips and they state to clean them with a mild dish detergent, scrub with a brush or rag, rinse with clean water and then towel and air dry.

I've never really cleaned my clubs at home but guess what ill be doing from now on? I'll try simple green and a cloth rag.

If dish soap dried out rubber, then my sink stopper wouldn't last and all of the rubber connectors on my steam cleaner wouldn't be there.

Maybe that would have been true in years past, but I find it hard to believe that the material in golf grips that we install by soaking in solvent isn't rugged enough to handle a year of being cleaned with Dawn.

I just looked up Golf Pride's recommendation for cleaning grips and they state to clean them with a mild dish detergent, scrub with a brush or rag, rinse with clean water and then towel and air dry.

Different rubber compounds respond to soap in different ways. I'm not saying folks can't wash their grips with soap, I'm just responding to the OP about how I clean my clubs and why I don't use soap. For me, I don't see any need and therefore I don't. Granted I live in an arid climate, moist conditions and hand grease are not something I contend with.

I clean golf clubs usually on sunday afternoon at home.

Include polishing the metal , cleaning golf bag's exterior with detergents , and shoes as well.

Back