Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Back to the conversation from last night, I think I am going to move the 7-PW of my HB3 set back into my bag for a few rounds. They aren't the Altitudes, but they are similar.

Keep us posted on how that goes. I'd really like a set of Altitudes to swap in with my K15s as the spirit moved me.

No issues because of the lack of offset. The looks take you aback for a second, but crushing a 4i is a quick remedy for that. I'm a divot taker, and there are ZERO issues there with these 3-P. As to the shafts, yes, I've played both.
I keep reading about the lack of offset on these, would this be bad for a higher handicap player? What is the benefit of less offset?

I also have a set of the HB3 5-PW and I can hit them ok, however they feel no better than my rocketbladez. I am wondering if these would do better than my rocketbladez.

I keep reading about the lack of offset on these, would this be bad for a higher handicap player? What is the benefit of less offset?

I also have a set of the HB3 5-PW and I can hit them ok, however they feel no better than my rocketbladez. I am wondering if these would do better than my rocketbladez.

Offset, like onset serves a purpose in getting square at impact (among other things). I will say that these feel nothing like the HB line of irons, that offered almost a metal wood like sound at impact.

Well.... played my first 18 with the new 3-gap today. It was just an introductory round , threw a few down on most holes just to get a feel of the new sticks. Well, I love em. I love the feeling that I've got power in reserve.....like all I have to do is to get a solid contact and KERPLING of it goes. I love chipping, bump and running with a 7,8,9 iron. The response off the face is uniform and really predictable.
Shot of the day was a second to a par 5. Took the 3 iron and drove it down into the back of the ball and flew it 200 meters to the green. By the end of the round I was starting to get a handle on how to swing to get the best out of the clubs. The secret so far seems to be a long slow tempo with no "preloading"(I don't know the right description). So I stand up there and hit it without trying to do anything fancy with my hands, setup or whatever. Just straight stance, straight club path, straight shot. NICE!!!

Keep us posted on how that goes. I'd really like a set of Altitudes to swap in with my K15s as the spirit moved me.

If you get around to it, let us know how these 2 sets compare. I liked the K15's a lot. Progressive offset is too much, but just the overall look of them really fits my eye and gives me confidence. Almost pulled the trigger on them last year when I got a chance to hit them on-course finally.

niteowl03: any thoughts you want to share with us?

Busting them out for the first time today! No range time just going for it!

Busting them out for the first time today! No range time just going for it!

Have fun buddy!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

What can I say about these clubs...

Lets see, for about the last month I have been working on a new swing, its not going very well right now and I have been struggling on the course. Yesterday Cookie was insistent that I give the altitudes a try(again) as I was hitting 10ft high rockets all day. I put them in play totally for the last 3 holes and played them in 1 under, including a 9i on a 160yd par 3 to 7ft, and a 6i from 182yds to 15ft. This was with the same crappy swing that I had seen all day. A little right to left movement but probably just from poor ball position. After the round Cookie and I talked about it and decided I would play the Altitudes exclusively today and see what happened. The oddity of that is I was automatically filled with confidence after what I saw on the last 3 holes and was predicting a 76 today (lofty goal i guess).

Fast forward to today. I didnt get to hit them as much as I had hoped because I was driving the ball extremely well and leaving myself with less than 120yds to the green, but Im going to drag Cookie out again this week and probably back up to the blues so I can hit them more. 2 Shots today really stood out, 135yd par 3 9i to 12ft and an 8i from 140 into the wind to 12ft. There were 2 really bad shots with them, one was a bad pull hook and the other was just a block to the right but these were just pitiful swings. The stock graphite really wants a smooth swing which really is better for me as Im sure half my problem is that I am being too aggressive on the transition. I love the height im getting on these and even the 4i that I took off the bottom 2 grooves still went straight out about 180yds.

I hit 80% of the fairways today but only 24% of the greens and wasnt chipping too well. I am really quite upset with those numbers as I truly feel with the way Im putting right now if I could get that number to 50% of greens then that 76 is easily in my reach. I believe the Altitudes will soon be a key component in that picture; while working out these swing flaws. The ability to focus less on hitting my irons perfect and making sure my short game is fine tuned should equal lower scores.

Finally, I want to thank Cookie and Jman for there precisely placed foot in my backside on this as I couldnt have done it without their help.

Cleveland Altitudes are the Real Deal

Cleveland Altitudes are the Real Deal

I've come back to the game after a voluntary 9-month layoff. I was at a KC Golfsmith to hit a few drivers and grabbed an old used Cleveland Hi-Bore 6 iron to warm up with. I was amazed at how great the club felt. So amazed that I went over to their iron rack to see if they had a full set. No Hi-Bores, but they did have a newer version called "Altitude."

When I got back home I on hopped on THP to see if there were any reviews for the Altitudes. I was amazed at not only how much information there was, but how nearly entirely positive it was. I usually am pretty careful with my club purchases, but I was so impressed with all I read I went to Ebay to see if there were any clubs listed. When I saw there was a slightly used set for sale that included 3 - SW for only $399 I jumped at the chance. I figured the worse that could happen is if I didn't like them I could put them right back up for sale and at least get what I paid for them.

These babies ain't going anywhere.

I took these out to the course after only hitting about 10 range balls just to warm up. The grips were over-sized Winns which are too big for my undersized hands. Many of the clubs I hit in the course of my round were the first time I had ever swung them. Still, with hardly any range time and too-big grips, all I can say is the Altutides are UNBELIEVABLE! Well, I guess that's not all I'm going to say, cause here's more. I have never hit so many long, straight and high (really high) iron shots in my life.

One of the weaknesses of my game has been my inability to hit high iron shots. On holes that require mid-irons I have a difficult time stopping my shots on the green because they have a tendency to want to roll off the back. Not a problem with the Altitudes. Even mid-irons land as softly as wedge shots.

My home course also has a few holes that require some major accuracy off the tee. I don't think that's going to be a problem anymore either. On three occasions I hit either the #3h or #4h and saw those beautiful high shots land in the middle of the fairway each time.

In total I hit 15/18 greens, including a couple of kick-in birdies from close range when the SW did the hit/check routine right by the pin. Of the three greens I missed, one of them was caused when the ball spun back too much and rolled into the fringe. The other two were more a function of bad drives than poor approach shots.

I can already see that what JB wrote in a related thread is going to be true for me as well. He said that he can now take less club off the tee to ensure he's in the fairway with total confidence that his approach shot will land on the green softly, even if he is hitting more club. The third hole on my home track is the most challenging driving hole on the course. A creek runs down the entire left side and their are trees to the right. The fairway slopes right-to-left so anything hit left of center with a draw (my normal ball flight) has a pretty good chance of running down into the creek. However, if you go too far right you will either be in the trees, or be blocked from the green. My normal play here has been to hit a driver thinking that if I go into the creek - which is not an infrequent occurrence - I will only have a wedge to a green that is not very receptive. Yesterday I decided to hit a 4h to the 150 marker, and ended up with about 155 to the middle. I hit a smooth #8 and saw the ball take off with SW height but #8 iron distance. The ball settled easily into the middle of the green for a routine par. This hole has been the bane of my existence for four years, but I finally may have the cure.

I am going to re-grip them today and of course I need more range time, but this is about the most excited I've ever been with any golf purchase. I know these clubs may not be the prettiest, but when it comes to golf the ONLY that's ever mattered to me is the number on the scorecard. Beauty is in the eye of the scorecard-holder, and by that measure, these clubs are beautiful indeed.

Great clubs, I cant wait to get mine in!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

You should join us at the THP MO Invitational in a couple of weeks with the new sticks.

I have just ordered a set of these too, 5- PW in regular graphite, trading in my old HB3 irons which I did not like the feel of. Still keeping my rocketbladez until I see how I get on with them

I've come back to the game after a voluntary 9-month layoff. I was at a KC Golfsmith to hit a few drivers and grabbed an old used Cleveland Hi-Bore 6 iron to warm up with. I was amazed at how great the club felt. So amazed that I went over to their iron rack to see if they had a full set. No Hi-Bores, but they did have a newer version called "Altitude."

When I got back home I on hopped on THP to see if there were any reviews for the Altitudes. I was amazed at not only how much information there was, but how nearly entirely positive it was. I usually am pretty careful with my club purchases, but I was so impressed with all I read I went to Ebay to see if there were any clubs listed. When I saw there was a slightly used set for sale that included 3 - SW for only $399 I jumped at the chance. I figured the worse that could happen is if I didn't like them I could put them right back up for sale and at least get what I paid for them.

I took these out to the course after only hitting about 10 range balls just to warm up. The grips were over-sized Winns which are too big for my undersized hands. Many of the clubs I hit in the course of my round were the first time I had ever swung them. Still, with hardly any range time and too-big grips, all I can say is the Altutides are UNBELIEVABLE! Well, I guess that's not all I'm going to say, cause here's more. I have never hit so many long, straight and high (really high) iron shots in my life.

One of the weaknesses of my game has been my inability to hit high iron shots. On holes that require mid-irons I have a difficult time stopping my shots on the green because they have a tendency to want to roll off the back. Not a problem with the Altitudes. Even mid-irons land as softly as wedge shots.

My home course also has a few holes that require some major accuracy off the tee. I don't think that's going to be a problem anymore either. On three occasions I hit either the #3h or #4h and saw those beautiful high shots land in the middle of the fairway each time.

In total I hit 15/18 greens, including a couple of kick-in birdies from close range when the SW did the hit/check routine right by the pin. Of the three greens I missed, one of them was caused when the ball spun back too much and rolled into the fringe. The other two were more a function of bad drives than poor approach shots.

I can already see that what JB wrote in a related thread is going to be true for me as well. He said that he can now take less club off the tee to ensure he's in the fairway with total confidence that his approach shot will land on the green softly, even if he is hitting more club. The third hole on my home track is the most challenging driving hole on the course. A creek runs down the entire left side and their are trees to the right. The fairway slopes right-to-left so anything hit left of center with a draw (my normal ball flight) has a pretty good chance of running down into the creek. However, if you go too far right you will either be in the trees, or be blocked from the green. My normal play here has been to hit a driver thinking that if I go into the creek - which is not an infrequent occurrence - I will only have a wedge to a green that is not very receptive. Yesterday I decided to hit a 4h to the 150 marker, and ended up with about 155 to the middle. I hit a smooth #8 and saw the ball take off with SW height but #8 iron distance. The ball settled easily into the middle of the green for a routine par. This hole has been the bane of my existence for four years, but I finally may have the cure.

I am going to re-grip them today and of course I need more range time, but this is about the most excited I've ever been with any golf purchase. I know these clubs may not be the prettiest, but when it comes to golf the ONLY that's ever mattered to me is the number on the scorecard. Beauty is in the eye of the scorecard-holder, and by that measure, these clubs are beautiful indeed.

Awesome dude, welcome to the club! The altitudes know no bounds of handicap indexes or swing speeds.

I'll add that when I invariably get paired up with others, and when they finally peer into my bag after a few holes when they see the towering long bombs fall to the center of greens, they are SHOCKED to see hyrons in the bag. They sound so good and so "iron like" everyone is shocked by the looks. They are also often shocked that I'm playing lightweight graphite shafts. And they are also shocked I'm hitting about 4 clubs less than them into greens. Altitudes are rocking worlds.

Orders flowing in for these bad boys....for VERY good reason! My iron game is really shining now and making up for some poor performances off of the tee.

Brings a smile to my face seeing so many get their hands on these and knowing they must own them.

I am assuming that someone will have these in Vegas to try. I stopped by the local golf store last night to look to see what the big deal was and I just could not convince myself to even swing them.

I am assuming that someone will have these in Vegas to try. I stopped by the local golf store last night to look to see what the big deal was and I just could not convince myself to even swing them.

Yep, multiple sets will be in Vegas.

Well, I didn't have the funds to order the entire set, but luckily you can order individual irons to your specs through Cleveland's website, so I ordered a PW and 9 iron today to start my set of Altitudes. I know I will have some gap problems if I incorporate them into my set of Mizunos, and as much as I'd like to say that I will wait until I get them all to put them in play, that's just not going to happen so I'll deal with the gapping issues for a little while.

I ordered them 1" short, 2* flat with the stock graphite shafts. Yes, I'm a little dude.

I see folk are not using covers with the altitudes, how durable are they in the bag? I have seen pictures of old highbore sets and the back of these seem to chip badly. Any one seen any evidence of this with the altitudes?

Well, I didn't have the funds to order the entire set, but luckily you can order individual irons to your specs through Cleveland's website, so I ordered a PW and 9 iron today to start my set of Altitudes. I know I will have some gap problems if I incorporate them into my set of Mizunos, and as much as I'd like to say that I will wait until I get them all to put them in play, that's just not going to happen so I'll deal with the gapping issues for a little while.

I ordered them 1" short, 2* flat with the stock graphite shafts. Yes, I'm a little dude.

How much do they cost individually? I might go down that road too, build my set one piece at a time like that old Johnny Cash song,lol

I see folk are not using covers with the altitudes, how durable are they in the bag? I have seen pictures of old highbore sets and the back of these seem to chip badly. Any one seen any evidence of this with the altitudes?

There is no paint so really nothing to chip with these.

How much do they cost individually? I might go down that road too, build my set one piece at a time like that old Johnny Cash song,lol

$90 with stock steel, $100 with stock graphite and then upcharge for custom shafts, grips, etc.

Welcome back to the game and into the Cleveland family!

I second JB in that if at all possible you should make the Invitational here in a few weeks.
I missed a couple of tour van stops last year and kicked myself for it after I got to my first THP event

Back