Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

The V2's were denting pretty early on. I'm glad I haven't put a ball mark out on the chrome of the toe yet like I did with them lol.

The white VDR's are looking ok still. They were never as white as some others I've seen though.

Was on Sunday with the 588 CB's! Hit 14 Gir's, made an eagle, and played as well as I have in recent memory. I was absolutely on with the 588's and was firing at pins! Had multiple birdie putts under 15' and only made one! Shot 74 and had a chance at under par.

Went to 18 one over and had about 235 yards left to a back pin in the middle of the fairway on a 510 yard par 5. Hit 3 wood and pulled it ever so slightly, but it was high and straight. Hit about 5 feet left of the green, perfect yardage, but kicked left off of a slope into a bunker and stayed next to a 12" lip. Had to punch out left handed and ended up bogeying. I was 5 feet to the left away from an eagle putt and my first under par round, or a 2 putt for even par 72. This game is cruel.

That's some solid ball striking, TH!

Cruel but fun tomahawk, that's a pretty snazzy round man.

I'm hoping to find a heat gun this weekend and do a little tinkering with my shafts, a little color to spice it up if you will.

That sounds fun! I'm ready to go play again. Hoping I can find a way out tomorrow.

Thanks guys. You are so right SW, cruel but fun and I am absolutely addicted (have been for years)! :) I am loving these irons right now. I just don't see me wanting anything else for quite some time!

Dude that's where I'm at. Each time I go in a store I instinctively walk over to the irons and gander, then I remember I've got the best set I've ever owned. Depressing and joyful all at the same time.

Dude that's where I'm at. Each time I go in a store I instinctively walk over to the irons and gander, then I remember I've got the best set I've ever owned. Depressing and joyful all at the same time.
Yeah, for the first time in recent memory, it's hard for me to imagine another set in my bag. I am just hitting them so pure and they are doing what I ask. Plus they are real pretty! :)

Still hitting a few more greens than normal with these in my hands at the moment. Seeing some more yards as well. I miss-hit the ball on the toe in a hotd video I posted eariler, but it went as far as my old 'normal' distance. Not really planning on changing how I approach shots though. I still miss-hit enough to plan for it. 6 iron has come back nicely to me and I feel like I can swing away with it again.

Pretty solid day with the 588 CB's yesterday.

Hit the first green I swung from 150 yards to about 25 feet past the pin. Cut through a strong head wind very well.

Second swing was an 8 iron dead into the wind that ended up being a little long. Bounced on the back of the green and gave me a chip from just off the fringe. Took a little more club than needed because of a forced carry, so the result was fine with me.

Third was an 8 iron with the wind that I stuck right on the fringe for a good birdie chance.

Had two misses as well.

Overdrew a 7 iron on a shorter par three to left of the green.

Thinned a nine iron from a downhill lie on the last hole that went dead straight, but bounced off the back of the green.

In all, that's solid work for me. The first shot I took gave me some confidence going forward. A little right/left ball flight makes these cut through the wind better than I'm used to. As a result, I found myself a long a couple times. Distance I'm seeing right now is still more than I had a month ago, even in the cooler temps.

Last edited:
That's great man! I was playing a 6 and 9 iron from a different set the other day and it really hit me how much I enjoy the way these look at address. Not that the others looked bad, but the 588 is just different, like an old musclecar ready to rip.

Yea buddy. I'm a huge fan of the looks. I've always liked the 710/712 CB's as well, but I think these are even better. Not to mention you get a real cavity. My whole bag is retro it seems. I'm digging it.

I forgot my best shot of the day with the 588's. It was from a fairway bunker to an uphill green and I was sort blocked out by a tree. Could see the left half of the green, but the flag was blocked out. I set up sort of like I do for a punch shot with an open stance and the ball back and hit a lower cut shot right up on the green. This is the kind of shot that I absolutley love these irons for. I'm not a big worker of the ball, but it's something I am able to do if absolutely necessary.

This is the hole and you can see the bunker to the right and the tree. I was back a little ways from where this was taken.

20120930101603-L.jpg

Wow, nice shot Hawk. I too am seriously in love with these irons. They just plain do what I ask of them.

I forgot my best shot of the day with the 588's. It was from a fairway bunker to an uphill green and I was sort blocked out by a tree. Could see the left half of the green, but the flag was blocked out. I set up sort of like I do for a punch shot with an open stance and the ball back and hit a lower cut shot right up on the green. This is the kind of shot that I absolutley love these irons for. I'm not a big worker of the ball, but it's something I am able to do if absolutely necessary.

This is the hole and you can see the bunker to the right and the tree. I was back a little ways from where this was taken.

20120930101603-L.jpg

Continue to be happy with the irons in my bag right now. I'm at a point where I'm hitting greens a little more often than I ever have, which is always exciting. My shot shape has been consistent in the last 6 weeks or so, which has really allowed to plan my approach shots a little more. I typically aim a little right of my target and expect the ball to come back to center. If I hit it straight I'm ok and if I miss left, I'm set up to give myself some room to miss. Having one stock shot takes some pins out of the equation, but that's fine with me at this point. I just want to know where to aim so I can put the ball on the green or close to it. Baby steps.

Practice session last night was pretty good, but I seemed to be missing out on the toe. Ball flight/shot shape was fine and distance wasn't badly affected, but it felt rotten compared to the center of the face. I think I was just coming from too far inside for whatever reason.

I recently went to Golfsmith and tried out the CB's and MB's and I have to say, I loved both of them. The MB's felt a little better for me but they were both amazing. Gotta love the line-up Cleveland has been putting out this last year.

I recently went to Golfsmith and tried out the CB's and MB's and I have to say, I loved both of them. The MB's felt a little better for me but they were both amazing. Gotta love the line-up Cleveland has been putting out this last year.

Definitely the best looking irons they've put out in good while (to my eyes). I've said it before, but I'm still surprised at how good of shape mine are still in.

Definitely the best looking irons they've put out in good while (to my eyes). I've said it before, but I'm still surprised at how good of shape mine are still in.

Without a doubt the best looking out there. The CB's and MB's are amazing and to hear that your CB's are still in great shape is awesome to hear.

They are pretty! Mine are still in good shape too!

Love them with the Tours, TH. I was even happier with them after I got those installed.

I hate to say I told you so but... HAHA! :)

Ha! I like to tinker, but they really do work well for me it seems.

Ha! I like to tinker, but they really do work well for me it seems.
I know you do, I was just kidding. Really glad you are enjoying them as much as I am. Best irons I have ever hit!

The Bay comes through for me! I will be joining the 588 CB club later this week!!

Nicely done, Rusty! What set up did you end up with?

Back