Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Played 36 with these yesterday. 37, 40, 38, 36. I was really hitting the ball off the tee well, whether it be with the Classic, Black or Mashie, but I felt like I struggled with these irons a bit. I mean I hit GIRs but I wasn't dialed in. I wasn't on the right tier all day so birdies were scarce. I'm not sure what to think about that.

Played 36 with these yesterday. 37, 40, 38, 36. I was really hitting the ball off the tee well, whether it be with the Classic, Black or Mashie, but I felt like I struggled with these irons a bit. I mean I hit GIRs but I wasn't dialed in. I wasn't on the right tier all day so birdies were scarce. I'm not sure what to think about that.

I think with those scores you chalk it up to an off day for accuracy because you still played well. Are thee staying in your bag now?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

For now they are Hanks.

Is the loose epoxy the norm with Cleveland clubs or the exception?

I reshafted mine at home.

Posted via tapatalk

I've been trying to come up with something relevant to say about the 588 CB's after my last few practice sessions, but I'm just running out of things to say.

Last few times out with the CB's have been above average and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. My ball flight still remains what I'd call high and I really think they came alive for me in that regard after I put a better fitting shaft in there. Hitting a few fatties every now and then, which does drop my distance off, but my left/right dispersion continues to be very good.

Being able to use the scoring irons as part of my short game method really has been a big thing for me. I am happier to be at 100 yards right now than I've ever been since I started playing golf.

I've been short off the tee lately, which when coupled with wet conditions, means I'm not hitting as many iron shots as I like to. Still, I did have a handful of opportunities last night and had some good success with the 588 CB's.

Hit two greens out of three full swings, with the miss being a good shot that went where it was aimed. I just bailed out to the right of the green. One of the greens I hit was three feet off the hole for an easy birdie, which doesn't happen much in my world. I do wish I hit these just a little further, but that's not the irons fault.

Had one other shot on a short par four. A hybrid usually leaves 70-80 yards, but being on the right side of the fairway is no good because some low hanging trees make you keep the ball down. I hit a punch 7 iron and actually kept it lower than needed, which surprised me. Didn't get much higher than 6-8 feet off the ground, but the rough in front of the green ate it up, leaving me just a little short. Need to experiment with club selection for that shot in that situation a little, but it is nice to be able to keep the ball down if needed. These irons are certainly good at that.

Lately I've been pondering some different shafts for these irons or soft stepping the ones I have, I don't I'm going to make the swap. Last weekend I was able to hit a few other irons on the range beside the 588's and the results were pretty revealing. Initially I was afraid I was leaving some distance on the table with the lower trajectory I thought I have now, that wasn't true. Taking a similar iron head with a different shaft I was seeing very similar distance to what I used to, that was reassuring. The kicker came when I took an iron designed to hoist the ball up in the air, 9 iron to 9 iron there wasn't a ton of difference between the two. What was different was how different some irons look behind the ball at address now. A set I was looking seriously at for an experiment now looks tiny behind the ball in terms of perceived length heel to toe, not that the 588 is huge but it gives the illusion of more mass.

After playing 36 holes last weekend and paying close attention to my irons it became clearer that I don't necessarily need to swap the shafts, when I'm swinging proper I get ample height on my shots. My earlier fears were due to the new swing that has me coming in less steep and not hitting down on the ball quite as sharply, but yields much more consistent contact. All in all a lame update but these irons continue to impress me.

I thought it was a good update. I've had many of the same things go through my head. I'm pretty happy with what I've got now as well, Danny. You want to get the most out of them and it sounds like you were able to make sure that was happening.

Dang, I forgot to put some feedback in here after hitting this 6 iron at the NC Tour Van Stop. TC was nice enough to bring his 588 CB 6 iron down to the event even though he wasn't gaming them. It is shafted with the PXi 6.0. I hit this iron a bunch on the range and I really liked the feel of it over my R9/S300 combo and the i20/CFS combo. The PXi gave me a nice ball flight, I'd say mid and penetrating. Slightly higher than both my S300s and the CFS. I flat out love the look of these at address. They look a lot like a blade, yet offer a bunch of forgiveness too, which is nice. I actually liked the chrome look of it better than the satin of most other irons I've hit. I think my favorite part of these irons was the sole though. It is a much thinner sole than my R9s, and that isn't something I used to. I stuck the 588 in my bag for the round Saturday, and having hit both it and my R9 out of the rough at points, the 588 was loads better. It just cut through the rough much easier I guess and gave me a better shot at striking the ball squarely. The only downfall to these was that I lost a bit of distance compared to my R9s, but that is to be expected I think. I would love to try out a full set of these with a shaft I'm more comfortable with or am fitted into. I think they could be deadly for me.

That's awesome stuff, Damaikis. I agree that the chrome finish looks great.

That's awesome stuff, Damaikis. I agree that the chrome finish looks great.

Yep. If you like that kind of thing they are dead sexy. I'm pretty anti chrome myself, so this is one of the only things I don't like about my 588's.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

I had one of those really enjoyable range sessions last night. I hit mostly 588 CB's, with some other clubs mixed in. For some reason, I was hitting the ball better than normal and that resulted in some very high, slightly drawing balls. Hit the usual stinkers here and there when I wasn't paying attention to my swing, but that's typical. Distance was above average for me as well and I hope I can carry that to the course.

The turf I practice on was softer than normal and it really was conducive to some effortless divots. It's been very dry here this summer, so I was happy to have some forgiving ground to practive off of.

Well i got a chance to put these into play finally on my round on Friday and i got to hit them quite a bit through out the round. I thought that i hit them pretty well. I noticed a few things about them. They def lowered my ball flight compared to my R11s and i was really happy with my distance and ball flight on mishits. You could tell right away when you missed the sweet spot, but i still got good distance and my ball stayed straighter than i expected. So you could def see the forgiveness people have been talking about. I still love the looks of these and they look a lot thinner than i am used to on the top line. I came away impressed but i dunno if i was impressed enough to buy a set and dump my R11s. If i was really in the market for a new set they would def be on my list after my round with them but with the season winding down and me still being happy with what i have, i am def interested to see how Cleveland improves on these next year.

I'm glad you finally got to give these a go Buck. Like you I'm interested to see where Cleveland goes with this line next.

I'm glad you finally got to give these a go Buck. Like you I'm interested to see where Cleveland goes with this line next.

they really are a great set of irons. i'd love to see something in a black ox finish. i think it might be far fetched for a CB or MB set but i think they would look amazing.

I finally got back out to the range today after a 3 week break, and these irons won the battle over my other set of irons, which are the R11 irons. The R11 irons are a little longer, but they also hit the ball higher which is something that I really don't need right now. My accuracy is also a little better with these irons than the R11 irons, and I think that's the most important aspect of an iron set. I'm going to play a round or two in the next couple of weeks just to confirm things, but I'm fairly certain that I'm going to stick with these irons for the rest of the year. They are just a solid all-around iron set, and I really think they will work very well in the hands of any player from a scratch all the way up to about a 12 handicap or so.

they really are a great set of irons. i'd love to see something in a black ox finish. i think it might be far fetched for a CB or MB set but i think they would look amazing.

You never know dude. These in black pearl would be rather grand looking. I've racked my brain trying to think of something I would change about them, other than offering a different finish like BP or satin I'm stumped.

You never know dude. These in black pearl would be rather grand looking. I've racked my brain trying to think of something I would change about them, other than offering a different finish like BP or satin I'm stumped.

The stock grip. Though that's personal preference.

anything in black oxide finish looks amazing!

anything in black oxide finish looks amazing!

Black Oxide are awesome when they're brand new. When they get wear though, they look really beat up. Example: Look at a used set of the Adams pro black irons

agreed. some people like that look tho, but maybe that's just on wedges.
but i can see how on the Adams irons, or on the TM Burner 2.0's where that would look well used...
honestly, i wish the finish would stay forever.
2 of my 588 wedges still look great with the BP, but the 56* is well used and worn out.

agreed. some people like that look tho, but maybe that's just on wedges.
but i can see how on the Adams irons, or on the TM Burner 2.0's where that would look well used...
honestly, i wish the finish would stay forever.
2 of my 588 wedges still look great with the BP, but the 56* is well used and worn out.

I agree. When I warm up before a round and I start hitting my wedges, I get a little sad cause I know that finish is going to take a beating.

Black Oxide are awesome when they're brand new. When they get wear though, they look really beat up. Example: Look at a used set of the Adams pro black irons

I actually like the worn look. I've had the CG16s for two seasons now and they still clean up really nice. The only real wear on the irons is the face with a tiny bit on the sole. Wedges get torn up pretty quick in the sand though.

Has anybody been looking for these with PXi 6.0 shafts? I really don't want to but might need to off mine for need of a new computer for starting school back up.

Tapping while I work, on my Galaxy S3.

Back