Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

5-9 iron with DG XP R 300 shafts. I am generally not a fan of the Dynamic Gold shafts, but those are the only shafts I have been able to hit at demos, and I was perfectly satisfied with the results. Cleveland does not offer the KBS Tour 90 shafts with the 588s, so the only other choice for me would have been PXi. If I decide I don't like the DGs, I might upgrade to KBS Tour 90s at some point. I also might be a 4 iron at some point, but only if I really love the 5 iron.

Right on. Congrats! The XP's aren't one of my favorites based on some testing I did, but that was a long time ago. Quite a few people seem to do very well with them.

Another solid night with the irons last night. Spotty tee game had me scrambling a bit, but I still had a chance to hit everything from 6-PW. Missed the green 2/5 times when I had an iron in my hand and both were within 10 feet of the green. Hit one of my better shots in a while from 120 yards with the PW. Stuck it to 5 feet and was able to par a nemesis hole. Distance is good, ball flight is good, and forgiveness is surprisingly good. I've had some toe-miss thing going on, but my expected yardage is still there. Makes me wonder how far a center strike would go at this point.

Pretty solid day with the 588 CB's yesterday.

Hit the first green I swung from 150 yards to about 25 feet past the pin. Cut through a strong head wind very well.

Second swing was an 8 iron dead into the wind that ended up being a little long. Bounced on the back of the green and gave me a chip from just off the fringe. Took a little more club than needed because of a forced carry, so the result was fine with me.

Third was an 8 iron with the wind that I stuck right on the fringe for a good birdie chance.

Had two misses as well.

Overdrew a 7 iron on a shorter par three to left of the green.

Thinned a nine iron from a downhill lie on the last hole that went dead straight, but bounced off the back of the green.

In all, that's solid work for me. The first shot I took gave me some confidence going forward. A little right/left ball flight makes these cut through the wind better than I'm used to. As a result, I found myself a long a couple times. Distance I'm seeing right now is still more than I had a month ago, even in the cooler temps.

I think I need to hit these again. I hit them at the AC Van Stop, but it was after a ton of rain and the ground was soaking wet.

It's been soaking wet here lately. I think it's rained more in two weeks than it did all summer.

With all the iron pondering going on right now, I wanted to bump this to see who is considering the CBs or the CBs as part of a mixed set

With all the iron pondering going on right now, I wanted to bump this to see who is considering the CBs or the CBs as part of a mixed set
I thought pretty hard for a while about the CBs. I would love to try a set of the CBs with KBS Tour 90s in them.

IF i was on Cleveland's staff for this years' Morgan Cup, it would be hard to ignore the 588 TT models...
or maybe a mixed set TT, CB, MB ???

i'm sure Cleveland will offer you multiple sets for many customization options...your decision will not be easy, that's for sure.

IF i was on Cleveland's staff for this years' Morgan Cup, it would be hard to ignore the 588 TT models...

i'm sure Cleveland will offer you multiple sets for many customization options...your decision will not be easy, that's for sure.
Im digging the TTs, they have impressed me.

I spent some time with the cb's and enjoyed them until i tried out the dpc's.
I spent more time with the tt irons and would game those in a heartbeat, performance wise was similar if not better for me with the cb's while still offering plenty of feedback on mishits

Just re-read through the last 7 or 8 pages of this thread and I must say, I'm more excited about these irons than ever before. I'm working on getting a fitting with a local Cleveland rep to see if these are my MC irons and which shafts I'm going to go with.

Well...I finally placed my MC irons order, and after a lot of pondering I decided to go with the 588 CBs. Here is what I ordered:

Iron Choice (ex. Altitude): 588 CB 4-PW
Shaft Choice: Dynamic Gold S300
Shaft Material & Flex (example steel stiff): steel stiff S300
Length: +1/4"
Loft: standard
Lie: standard
Grip Choice & Special requests (ex. 2 wraps): Lamkin REL 3Gen "Electric Blue" (light blue) with one additional wrap of tape
Dexterity: RH

Nice JConn! I love the CBs, some of my favorite irons from last year, no doubt. You will game them well.

Nice JConn! I love the CBs, some of my favorite irons from last year, no doubt. You will game them well.

Thanks. They are definitely great looking. Unfortunately I've only hit them indoors. I can't wait to get them out on the range/course. I am a little disappointed that I couldn't get the shafts I wanted, but I will get over it. I'm sure the S300s will be fine.

First go with the CB irons are very good. I love the feel of these irons. Although it's not as buttery smooth as my Mizuno's, it was a smoother transition then I thought. Launch is about the same, everything is really the same, which shocked me.

The reason I'm so shocked is because I tested poorly with the DG's. Yet, I see a similar ball flight and similar distances (if not longer tbh) with the new irons. I'm going to say that it probably has something to do with the progress I've made in my swing and when I tested the DG's, my swing was awful.

So far so good.

I love my 588 CBs

First go with the CB irons are very good. I love the feel of these irons. Although it's not as buttery smooth as my Mizuno's, it was a smoother transition then I thought. Launch is about the same, everything is really the same, which shocked me.

The reason I'm so shocked is because I tested poorly with the DG's. Yet, I see a similar ball flight and similar distances (if not longer tbh) with the new irons. I'm going to say that it probably has something to do with the progress I've made in my swing and when I tested the DG's, my swing was awful.

So far so good.

I'm so happy to hear that you're transitioning into these well. I know you were worried about the shafts but seeing this early success I have no doubt that you'll be sharp with them come July

As some of you know, I picked my CBs up on the way to the airport, heading to Orlando for the THP Outing and Demo Day. Literally picked them up at 8am and my flight left at 10am. Thus, I only had time to throw them in the travel bag and head to the airport.

First things first, dang are these clubs pretty.

asenuzup.jpg

ahyny7a2.jpg

After demo day on Friday I was able to get 18 holes in as a way to break these bad boys in. I took the plastic off and headed to the first tee. First round went well. I was hitting them similar distance as my previous irons and more accurate for the most part.

I then played 2 rounds on Saturday, 2 rounds on Sunday, and 1 round Monday morning before leaving Orlando. I had my good moments and my bad moments, but my iron play was good in the morning rounds and OK in the afternoon rounds. I hit some really good shots with these and if I could've putted better I could've easily shot my PB. One round I was inside 10 feet four holes in a row and only made one birdie (stuck an 9 iron to 3 feet on a par 3).

All in all, I shot 81, 79, 79, and 80 in the rounds that I was playing my own ball. Not bad for my first times out with these irons. Standing over the ball with these I just feel confident, I love that feeling. More to come as I gather my thoughts on the weekend.

Feel free to ask questions!

Great first thoughts. Glad you're transitioning into them quickly and nicely.

As some of you know, I picked my CBs up on the way to the airport, heading to Orlando for the THP Outing and Demo Day. Literally picked them up at 8am and my flight left at 10am. Thus, I only had time to throw them in the travel bag and head to the airport.

First things first, dang are these clubs pretty.

asenuzup.jpg

ahyny7a2.jpg

After demo day on Friday I was able to get 18 holes in as a way to break these bad boys in. I took the plastic off and headed to the first tee. First round went well. I was hitting them similar distance as my previous irons and more accurate for the most part.

I then played 2 rounds on Saturday, 2 rounds on Sunday, and 1 round Monday morning before leaving Orlando. I had my good moments and my bad moments, but my iron play was good in the morning rounds and OK in the afternoon rounds. I hit some really good shots with these and if I could've putted better I could've easily shot my PB. One round I was inside 10 feet four holes in a row and only made one birdie (stuck an 9 iron to 3 feet on a par 3).

All in all, I shot 81, 79, 79, and 80 in the rounds that I was playing my own ball. Not bad for my first times out with these irons. Standing over the ball with these I just feel confident, I love that feeling. More to come as I gather my thoughts on the weekend.

Feel free to ask questions!

Really considering the 588 CB option if its available for the 2014 MC. Hopefully can find some demos get full round tests on. I did actually game the 588 TT and Altitudes this year, but had went back to my i20's on overall feel--thinking the 588 CB may be the ticket.

Hopefully you can get your hands on them Ward. They are really nicely made irons. Never thought they were super 'soft' feeling, but very solid at impact and fun to play with. My most recent miss doesn't really jive all that well with them unfortunately, because I'd love to play them again in July.

Really considering the 588 CB option if its available for the 2014 MC. Hopefully can find some demos get full round tests on. I did actually game the 588 TT and Altitudes this year, but had went back to my i20's on overall feel--thinking the 588 CB may be the ticket.

This is my thought as well dude. I'm leaning heavily towards a combo cb/mb set- at least today haha

Hopefully you can get your hands on them Ward. They are really nicely made irons. Never thought they were super 'soft' feeling, but very solid at impact and fun to play with. My most recent miss doesn't really jive all that well with them unfortunately, because I'd love to play them again in July.

What's that? A little thin? That was the only mishit that I found these irons to really punish badly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

What's that? A little thin? That was the only mishit that I found these irons to really punish badly.

Thin and toe or just toe. I'm not talking drastic terrible misses, but worse than others I've been hitting recently. I've been hitting these quite a bit lately because they are still dear to me.

Thin and toe or just toe. I'm not talking drastic terrible misses, but worse than others I've been hitting recently. I've been hitting these quite a bit lately because they are still dear to me.

How far out on the toe are we talking? I found that if you can at least keep all of the ball inside the grooves you were fairly good to go with these.

Back