Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Interesting shots TC. Now I'm all conflicted because what I see in those pictures doesn't match the picture in my eye at address. Something about the 588 makes it look larger to me

The comparision to the Ping's is very interesting. They are so different from most angles but the cavity appears to be quite similar. Interesting to hear you find them as easy or maybe easier to hit.

The Pings look larger bottom to top, to me, but the 588's look longer heel to toe. The dampner on the Pings along with the clear cut cavity just make the look more forgiving to me. I like the shiny and wish I had a chance to hit both, but guessing the I20's would be the direction for me.

Nice pictures TC!! I love the comparison between the I20's and the 588's, right next to each other.

Those are interesting pictures for sure. Those 588's look more... serious? Something Im not sure what the word is though. Maybe its the whole classic idea about them.

Classic would be word I would use. Nice frikken pictures. I think it's all in appearance. Something about the appearance of an iron will automatically give me confidence. Funny because the Adams Pro MB's gave me some confidence at address and I hit them well.

Classic would be word I would use. Nice frikken pictures. I think it's all in appearance. Something about the appearance of an iron will automatically give me confidence. Funny because the Adams Pro MB's gave me some confidence at address and I hit them well.

I think you make some great points. When literally putting the grooved sections up next to each other, they are identical in size but for some odd reason, over the golf ball, the Cleveland's just feel bigger, which is nice for the old confidence.

I also want to reiterate that these fit me to a tee. From length, to lie angle, so I'm finding center of the club face contact a lot.

nice side by side pics there TC.

Very nice comparison pics TC, both those irons are good looking but the 588's make those I20's look like a old lady compared to a super model lol.

today went better with the 588's. played 18 this morning and granted, i only hit the 6, 7, and 9, but i played well and had some good shots with each of those irons.
i have to get used to trusting them, making a fluid swing and making sure i finish correctly....turning my hands over thru impact at the proper time. easier said than done i know, but my big miss is an open face slice, which is very frustrating.
trust my swing, hit these flush....truly rewarding irons.

Testing out the new wrenches!

aefc273e-c3b4-9016.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

damn ary! looks great...
i gotta get using that instagram. it goes hand in hand with the new Cleveland classic club looks.

I could look at pictures like that all day. For all the waiting and anticipation, I've only been out to hit these once since I got them. I want to burn a house down.

I could look at pictures like that all day. For all the waiting and anticipation, I've only been out to hit these once since I got them. I want to burn a house down.

Same here dude, but tomorrow morning I'm ranging it up again.

Same here dude, but tomorrow morning I'm ranging it up again.

Are you playing on Monday? I'll be hitting the course tomorrow, but I really wanted a little range time too. I may just go really early.

Are you playing on Monday? I'll be hitting the course tomorrow, but I really wanted a little range time too. I may just go really early.

Yep. No golf for me tomorrow as I will have junior with me but he loves the range. I'm super stoked for my first round with them.

Me too. I'm hoping for some Z-Stars under the Fathers Day tree to see how the total package is going to work for me.

So here are my quick thoughts after my first range session with these irons....

First of all, it felt like October up here instead of June. Temperatures in the low 60s with a 10-20 mph wind straight back into my face, definitely not optimal conditions to assess distance with these irons. I was really happy that I remembered to take the 6 iron and 8 iron from my R11 iron set with me so that I could compare distances and ballflights.

Since I had hit these irons before during demo days, it didn't take very long to get used to these irons sitting behind the ball. It's funny, the topline is thinner than what I have played in the past, but after I hit some shots with these irons, I didn't really notice it all that much. My swing was pretty bad at the start of the session, so I wasn't getting a lot of good feedback. I finally relaxed and didn't try to force things, and saw some really nice shots. The trajectory was only a slight bit lower than the R11 irons, but I really liked the ballflight into the wind. Also, well-struck shots were sometimes even with shots hit by the R11 irons, some were about 5 yards behind, so the distance loss wasn't all that big. Keep in mind that these irons are visually 1/2 inch shorter than my R11 irons, and 1-2 degrees weaker in the lofts.

TC talked about there being some mass behind the clubface, and I definitely felt that on a lot of shots. It's not a harsh feel at all, but you can definitely tell that you've hit it flush when you hit it well. It's a little hard to describe, and I was hitting range balls as well, but I was concerned that I might get a "mushy" feel off of the forged clubface, but that's not what I got. I did some chipping with the PW after hitting balls on the range, and I had to adjust as the balls were coming off the face with more speed than I thought they would! It seems like Cleveland has built a lot of technology into these irons to get a sleek package, but also build in forgiveness and some pop into the face as well.

One other thing: as I said, I didn't have my best swing at all today, so there were definitely some mishits that I had. The forgiveness on those shots was pretty good....not as good as a GI iron, but definitely serviceable. I'm hoping that as I get more comfortable with these irons, the mishits won't be as frequent as they were today!

I'm hoping to get some on-course feedback with these irons next week so that I can start dialing in my distances and also see how these irons interact with the turf.

I think I've figured out the "optical illusion", TC.

The 588's hosel rounds off and bulges further into the face than the i20's which which cleanly flatten out further away from the usable face. Hence the groove area starts the same distance from the end of where the hosels blend into the faces, respectively. But because of this the grooves extend further towards the toe of the 588's and making them look like more face area is covered with grooves.

This make sense?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Dang these things look sweet, I'm really getting a soft spot for the cleveland irons and I would not mind to get fitted for a set of combo CB,MB irons!
Testing out the new wrenches!

aefc273e-c3b4-9016.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

I think I've figured out the "optical illusion", TC.

The 588's hosel rounds off and bulges further into the face than the i20's which which cleanly flatten out further away from the usable face. Hence the groove area starts the same distance from the end of where the hosels blend into the faces, respectively. But because of this the grooves extend further towards the toe of the 588's and making them look like more face area is covered with grooves.

This make sense?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Yeah, that makes sense. Like I said, I felt like the groove area was longer than the competition's and it's just not. Very interesting.

THe beauties and I have a date this morning. I sure am excited about ripping into some golf balls with them.

Those are some really sweet irons. Cleveland is definitely on my list for the next time I upgrade (just got new irons a month ago, Ping G20's)

Range session #2 in the books and I was striping these irons today. I took Foster with me today to the range and we headed out around 9:30 and got in a good 2 1/2 hour session. He's such a joy to have their with me. It's a bit hard to concentrate all the time, but it was a great session.

I still haven't spent a ton of time with the 5 and 6 iron and I don't know why. I think I get into a groove with the scoring irons and just keep hitting them. I think the 9iron and the PW could be my favorites. High and straight! Loved it. I'm also starting to get a bit more comfortable with the PXi shafts. They perform best for me when I take it back smooth and make a little more aggressive transition.

I still can't really comment on off the toe hits as I didn't get any of those. I hit a couple of thin shots starting out and to me, they react like any thin shot.

Range session #2 in the books and I was striping these irons today. I took Foster with me today to the range and we headed out around 9:30 and got in a good 2 1/2 hour session. He's such a joy to have their with me. It's a bit hard to concentrate all the time, but it was a great session.

I still haven't spent a ton of time with the 5 and 6 iron and I don't know why. I think I get into a groove with the scoring irons and just keep hitting them. I think the 9iron and the PW could be my favorites. High and straight! Loved it. I'm also starting to get a bit more comfortable with the PXi shafts. They perform best for me when I take it back smooth and make a little more aggressive transition.

I still can't really comment on off the toe hits as I didn't get any of those. I hit a couple of thin shots starting out and to me, they react like any thin shot.
Nice update TC, sounds like they are working very well for you which isnt a shocker with the game you have. The idea of these bent to match the lofts of my R11 irons is just running through my head haha. I really need to get to a store and hit these or better yet find a range that has some demos.

These are definitely some sexy irons, but I keep thinking how much better they can be than my TA3. I will have to hit these on my next visit to GG. I have a feeling these will feel more "buttery" than my TA3. I already told my wife I will have to sell my extra stereo equipment that is laying around if comes to it. GG already told me there is no trade in value for my TA3 :(

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Back