Cleveland 588 Custom Driver Preview

Hmmmmmm, I see a lot of CG Black in that from that pic.

First thing that came to mind as well.

Also not sure how I feel about the 588 name being linked with a wood.

It looks nice, I like that they are incorporating the 588 name into other clubs.

Interesting that they're throwing "588" on every part of their line... not sure how I feel about that, but the driver head looks pretty clean.

Like the shape, I like the combination cavity/weight port. Placing a variable weight there would be sort of in line with TM's SLDR putting the weight more low and forward. Could use different weights to alter the launch angle.

Don't think the Cleveland logo is in a very good spot, though. Looks tacked on. The use of the same "classic" custom font with the rather modern-looking CG logo Also looks kinda odd. They've got three different logos from seemingly three different eras, all on the same club sole. Looks really mismatched, IMO. Do like the combination of options, presumably. Variable weights to change the launch/weight, looks like the hosel can be adjusted for opening or closing the face. Kind of a departure from their "classic" line, which is a good play for them, I think. Just need to pick one font or design style and stick with it.

the sole reminds me of the CG Black. Wonder if they will continue with the deep face with this one

Strangely I find the looks of this one much more appealing than that of the Altitude head.

Maybe its the script or something on it, much prefer it to the Altitude. The black all over look is very sharp.

Hmmmmmm, I see a lot of CG Black in that from that pic.

I thought the same right out of the gate, and that's not a bad thing. The CGB was a solid offering.

That's pretty much the CG Black paint on a new driver. Blah.

I want to hit it. I want to hit everything.

I'm not against it.

I ordered a wrench for my Classic XL Custom direct from Cleveland after I lost mine. And look what came with it: The manual for the 588 Custom. It looks like all the loft settings are the same, and the same wrench can be used. Here's a couple of pictures:

[redacted]

Last edited:
Looks pretty solid - and blackish

I missed this....that's a sweet looking head...hard to hit without a shaft, but one SWEET looking paper weight!

Looking forward to hearing more about this one.

I edited my previous post to delete the pictures.

I had posted pictures on twitter as well, and Cleveland contacted me today and very kindly asked me if I would remove them, since the driver hasn't officially been announced yet. By "kindly", I mean they offered to send me a gift bag full of mystery goodies :)

So instead I'll post pictures of my swag whenever the care package arrives.

I edited my previous post to delete the pictures.

I had posted pictures on twitter as well, and Cleveland contacted me today and very kindly asked me if I would remove them, since the driver hasn't officially been announced yet. By "kindly", I mean they offered to send me a gift bag full of mystery goodies :)

So instead I'll post pictures of my swag whenever the care package arrives.

Respecting the companies embargo is a huge thing here at THP and I thank you for deleting them. It is very generous of Cleveland to offer to send you goodies.

Respecting the companies embargo is a huge thing here at THP and I thank you for deleting them. It is very generous of Cleveland to offer to send you goodies.

I would have done it even if they didn't offer me free goodies... *shhhhhh*

You are such a tease Hawk.

Wow looks quite nice, interesting to try possibly

I wanna hit it! I like hitting other things besides what I have, it's fun!!!

Cleveland kept their word and sent me free stuff for keeping this a secret :)

Got a hat, towel, socks, and a SmartSquare marker!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384474407.521684.jpg

Nice care package to keep a secret!

Tapping from my IPhone

Back