Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedges Review - Forum Testing

I havent replaced them yet, I have some j40s I'll start the season with. I replaced the ansers with some Scratch 1018s (which I loved) but then decided to try these j40s. They launch well but I don't love them. So I don't know what wedges ill end up with. Maybe some Scratch again or mizunos MP-t4 or 11s or maybe some Nike VR pro with the hex grooves.

nice I have J40's now and rather enjoy them. I played those MP-t4's a couple weeks ago for a few rounds and thought they were good. Ball certainly checked up nice off of them.

Gotcha. 110 would be the top of my range with the J40 50˚. Do you use the 50˚ around the green a ton? Partial swings? Any prerogatives around set/non-set wedges? These are the things I'd think about. I take a lot of partial swings with the 50˚ and use it for longer chips and sand shots some times. Which is why I've got a non-set wedge in that slot at the moment. However, some other folk's success with the i20 gap wedge does sway me at times.

With the 50*, whether it was a set DW or the CB - it would be used for full swing shots and some 3/4 stuff from 90, etc. Beyond that, once I am within 75y and greenside it is really just the 54* that I use.

With the 50*, whether it was a set DW or the CB - it would be used for full swing shots and some 3/4 stuff from 90, etc. Beyond that, once I am within 75y and greenside it is really just the 54* that I use.

I still think the RTX CB would be good here, but the set DW will obviously shine for you as well. Win win! :D

Thanks ill be sure to check in, but I had thought about that but I spoke to a Cleveland rep and he said that the wedge flex was like an X100 so I'm not sure what I would have put in there.

I thought the stock wedge was a bit softer than that, maybe at least for me.
BRANDMODELFLEXWEIGHTTIPBUTTFLEX POINTSWING WEIGHTTORQUE
True TemperDynamic GoldWedge Flex130g0.3550.600HighD6n/a

I still think the RTX CB would be good here, but the set DW will obviously shine for you as well. Win win! :D

Agreed, choices are good! And in all honesty, not sure I want a 110 or 115 club that generates a ton more spin than my PW. Plus I think even the Altitude's have more forgiveness than the CB's and I love me some forgiveness. :banana:

got a little more work in with my 56 RTX CB on Sunday and this time, found a couple of bunkers so I finally got to give that a try. Except for one that I caught all ball on and shot to the other side of the green, I had 2 really nice outs that landed very softly. I used to use my 60* for all of my short pitches around the green, but have been working the 56 RTX CB with good results the past couple of rounds. Even with more bounce than the 60*, which is a 12+ year-old 588, I find the 56 easier to hit full shots off the fairways. I blade the 60 every once in a while, which really sucks. Not the club's fault, but I seem to swing the new one better so far.

Now I've got to decide what to do about a gap wedge. I currently have a gap from my RBZ PW (45) to the 588 RTX CB 56*, which is huge. Like 125-130 down to about 90. I've been hitting half PW shots to fill that gap. I had originally planned to get the RBZ AW (50), but with how well I hit the RTX CB 56, I'm thinking of going for another in 50 or 52 to hopefully get into that 110-115 range.

Has anyone tried the KBZ wedge shaft in these RTX's yet? I am looking for something to match up to my tour S400 for weight comparison and have been reading on the custom shafts, like what I am reading from other threads from past but wondered how they would be on the RTX

A bit late to the conversation here, but I bought a 56 and 60 back in November played about 3 rounds and sold them. Idk what it was about these but I hit straight moonballs. Its not hard to stick a green when the ball is dropping from space. In all reality though I had the same problem with the ping anser wedges and I just find that they are hard to control the distance and I couldn't get as feel for chipping with them.

I'm the same way. I have the 54 and 58 and even with the 54 I feel like my ball is falling out of space. On full swings my distance is very consistent. I would imagine that would be perfect for an AW. I haven't practiced much with the 3/4 swings though

I thought the stock wedge was a bit softer than that, maybe at least for me.

he could have been wrong but at 130g its either an s300 or x100 either one is a low launch shaft. What I honestly think it is is that CG is very low with that slight cavity causing them to launch a mile high. As stated above they were very heavy and all that weight at a 60* loft is going to have that effect.

A few things that might help some people with what they appear to be finding. Flex is not the same as launch, and different balance points can result in different ball flight despite the flex being the same. With that being said, wedge shafts dont flex a whole lot, mainly because of their lenght.

As to the CG being very low, I have spoken to them about this, and it really isnt. The cavity and entire wedge mass, does not allow a ton of movement in weight (similar to most wedges). One might see a small amount of launch angle difference, but the perimeter weighting would not be the main reason for this. Normally, if a swing weight does not fit your game, or you find a club too head heavy, it can be prone to not clean contact and hitting ground first, which definitely can result in higher ball flight and it sounds that this might be the reasoning behind it more than the club itself.

A few things that might help some people with what they appear to be finding. Flex is not the same as launch, and different balance points can result in different ball flight despite the flex being the same. With that being said, wedge shafts dont flex a whole lot, mainly because of their lenght.

As to the CG being very low, I have spoken to them about this, and it really isnt. The cavity and entire wedge mass, does not allow a ton of movement in weight (similar to most wedges). One might see a small amount of launch angle difference, but the perimeter weighting would not be the main reason for this. Normally, if a swing weight does not fit your game, or you find a club too head heavy, it can be prone to not clean contact and hitting ground first, which definitely can result in higher ball flight and it sounds that this might be the reasoning behind it more than the club itself.

I guess a lot of people aren't catching it clean then. It may be the club doesn't fit my game even though I loved the CG14s and was part of the reason I bought these. I can honestly say that I have not personally talked to one person that has played these say anything thing different about these. I have only had the problem with 2 (basically cavity) wedges the Ping Ansers and the Cleveland RTX CBs. I know that shafts do not dictate the launch in a wedge but they do play a roll, I am simply saying changing from a low launch shaft to another low launch shaft will not bring the flight down. Cleveland will tell you whatever they have to as it seems you are kinda a big deal (ala Ron Burgndy lol) on this board and when people on this board read a positive review from you on this board they are more apt to buy it.

I guess a lot of people aren't catching it clean then. It may be the club doesn't fit my game even though I loved the CG14s and was part of the reason I bought these. I can honestly say that I have not personally talked to one person that has played these say anything thing different about these. I have only had the problem with 2 (basically cavity) wedges the Ping Ansers and the Cleveland RTX CBs. I know that shafts do not dictate the launch in a wedge but they do play a roll, I am simply saying changing from a low launch shaft to another low launch shaft will not bring the flight down. Cleveland will tell you whatever they have to as it seems you are kinda a big deal (ala Ron Burgndy lol) on this board and when people on this board read a positive review from you on this board they are more apt to buy it.

Im not giving something a positive or negative review. Im trying to interject and make sure people get correct info about equipment to help them better understand what is happening. Not everybody is getting a ridiculous high launch out of them and I can assure you the tour pros that have them in the bag are not having this issue.

As to a company telling me "whatever they have to", sorry, that just does not happen. My information is not pay for play dude.

Im not giving something a positive or negative review. Im trying to interject and make sure people get correct info about equipment to help them better understand what is happening. Not everybody is getting a ridiculous high launch out of them and I can assure you the tour pros that have them in the bag are not having this issue.

As to a company telling me "whatever they have to", sorry, that just does not happen. My information is not pay for play dude.

10-4 little buddy

I have been pretty please with the 56-14 version of this club that I bought a few weeks ago. As mentioned before, I've had a gap this year between my 45* RBZ PW and the 56, so I picked up a 52* RTX CB yesterday and threw it in the bag today to play. Warmed up with it on the chipping area before my round as well as hitting some full shots and various pitches on the range. Like the 56* version, very easy to control on all shots and it seemed like it was going to fill the 100-100-yard gap like I was hoping. Hit it in some different situations during my round, one full shot from 110 out and actually hit to the back of the green. Hit a couple of nice 60-yard-ish pitches with it too and I really, really like this loft for hitting low, checking chips around the green. Initial results were very positive and I think I like this club in this loft even more than the 56.

I have been pretty please with the 56-14 version of this club that I bought a few weeks ago. As mentioned before, I've had a gap this year between my 45* RBZ PW and the 56, so I picked up a 52* RTX CB yesterday and threw it in the bag today to play. Warmed up with it on the chipping area before my round as well as hitting some full shots and various pitches on the range. Like the 56* version, very easy to control on all shots and it seemed like it was going to fill the 100-100-yard gap like I was hoping. Hit it in some different situations during my round, one full shot from 110 out and actually hit to the back of the green. Hit a couple of nice 60-yard-ish pitches with it too and I really, really like this loft for hitting low, checking chips around the green. Initial results were very positive and I think I like this club in this loft even more than the 56.

How is the launch you are seeing compared to other wedges youve played in the past? Does it fly higher, lower, about the same on comparable shots with any other wedge youve played?

How is the launch you are seeing compared to other wedges youve played in the past? Does it fly higher, lower, about the same on comparable shots with any other wedge youve played?

You know, this is the first gap wedge I've ever owned that wasn't part of a matched set of irons. Prior to a few months ago, the only one I'd had was my old 60* 588. My previous set of irons had PW and SW that I believe were around 49 and 54* respectively. They're 13 years old. Anyway, most of my experience was with those, then my RBZ set that I bought a few months ago. Compared to the RBZs, I'd say the launch is actually similar to what I'd expect the 50* AW to be. It's a bit higher than the 45* PW, obviously, but not a whole lot. The feel is a little firmer than the RBZ, but that's fine with me for this club. It's still very forgiving on full shots and has more feel in short situations. I used to chip around the green with my old PW, but haven't with my RBZ PW, because it has little feel for stuff like that, IMO. My distaste for chipping and really short pitching with the RBZ PW is what ultimately made me decide to give this a shot in the AW slot. Now the 56* RTX CB launches almost as high as my 60*, which is why I haven't even pulled that club in the last 2 rounds. Hopefully that answered your questions. I haven't hit a ton of the wedges out there currently to give you a better comparison.

Adding to the last post:

I had a 60-yard pitch onto a par 5 green yesterday, open in the front and no obstacles to carry. Normally, I would have hit about 1/3 swing pitch with my PW. I decided to give it a go with the 52* RTX CB, just kind of guessed on the swing and put it right on the green. I liked the launch and flight of the ball much better in that situation than what I've been experiencing with the PW. Just as easy to get the ball up and spun more, while landing softer. With more work, I could see becoming very accurate with this thing from inside 75 yards.

Playing the 50* in my current setup and this thing spins out of this world. I use it around the green and for full swings and on my final full swing with it, the spin was so insane that I spun it from mid green right off the front onto the fringe. Love the versatility and love the forgiveness on the one toe shot I had. Im glad I went the CB route on my 50* as I do use it for full swings more than other wedges.

Playing the 50* in my current setup and this thing spins out of this world. I use it around the green and for full swings and on my final full swing with it, the spin was so insane that I spun it from mid green right off the front onto the fringe. Love the versatility and love the forgiveness on the one toe shot I had. Im glad I went the CB route on my 50* as I do use it for full swings more than other wedges.
The full swing spin is just incredible, I haven't really seen it with any other wedge I've played or play currently!!!

I have been thinking quite a bit about tightening the gaps at the bottom of my bag and the more I think I about it, the more I think the 52* CB with an iron shaft will make its way into my bag. Will follow that up with the 56/60 in the RTX MB's.

I think the 52* could be a really good club for me in the 90-100 yard range where I find myself hitting from quite a bit it seems. The 90-110 area is somewhere I have struggled from in the last year and that must change if I am going to improve.

I have been thinking quite a bit about tightening the gaps at the bottom of my bag and the more I think I about it, the more I think the 52* CB with an iron shaft will make its way into my bag. Will follow that up with the 56/60 in the RTX MB's.

I think the 52* could be a really good club for me in the 90-100 yard range where I find myself hitting from quite a bit it seems. The 90-110 area is somewhere I have struggled from in the last year and that must change if I am going to improve.
So... PW/DW/52/56/60?

That's a lot of wedge.

So... PW/DW/52/56/60?

That's a lot of wedge.

Yes it is but I really like having a lot of options within 125.

I think this set up could eliminate a lot of the guessing game that I have down in this area and I simply don't need so many options at the top end of my bag and that is what enables this to be a possibility with so many wedges.

Just pondering for now though! :)

So I moved to the R11 irons which moved my PW to a 45°..That makes my old CG16 wedge setup of 48°, 52°, 56°, and 60° a little tight...
Especially with the fact that I have been favoring my 56° over my 60° in recent rounds...

I think I am going to move to a 50°, 54° and 58° setup..(and pick up an extra hybrid or FW wood)..
I think I have decided on the RTX CB for the 50°, but am a little torn on what I should do for the 54°/58°??

Thoughts?

So I moved to the R11 irons which moved my PW to a 45°..That makes my old CG16 wedge setup of 48°, 52°, 56°, and 60° a little tight...
Especially with the fact that I have been favoring my 56° over my 60° in recent rounds...

I think I am going to move to a 50°, 54° and 58° setup..(and pick up an extra hybrid or FW wood)..
I think I have decided on the RTX CB for the 50°, but am a little torn on what I should do for the 54°/58°??

Thoughts?

If you want to stay Cleveland, I would go RTX MB in the 54/58 - possible setup for me soon. I think they just offer a bit more versatility around the greens (based on their deign) than the CB's do.

Seriously thinking of adding 2 of these wedges to the bag. Not sure if I'm going with the cb's or the mb's and what loft to go with. My AW is a 50*, so should I go with a 54*&58* or 55*&60*?

Back