Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

JB, isn't that as much fault of the OEM's than the players using the 9 or 10 degree drivers? I mean, when's the last time you saw a Titleist D 12.5 degree in stiff available to demo? If we're suppose to be playing 12 degree drivers, then why not have the 12 degree available to hit? I totally get what he's saying but hard to fault the people buying when that's all they are exposed to.

Demand creates reality unfortunately. We never want to admit it, but as consumers, we play what we see on TV. All one has to do is look at the belly putter craze to see that now.

I'm so confused as to what to do with loft. I feel comfortable with the idea that I'll use the Kua stiff, but loft has me perplexed.

More loft has always given me more forgiveness in my game. I get less side spin out of the higher lofted clubs and the ideal launch conditions for me are higher launch with lower spin which I can achieve easier with the 12* head.

A wise man once told me (famous club fitter) something via email that I saved and I will paste it below.

With the new technology in place, the idea of better players playing lower lofts is wrong. In the 80s and 90s, most tour pros carried between a 7 and 9 degree driver. Now most are 8.5 to 11 with some even higher. Why you ask? Because the higher you launch the ball without bringing in too much more spin, the more the ball will fly and you can achieve greater distance. If one takes ego and social credit out of the equation and goes strictly on the best numbers after 50 golf balls, more amateurs would be playing 12-13 degree drivers than that of anything lower. If you can find a very low spinning head and partner that with a higher loft and high launching low spin shaft, the average amateur that is used to too much spin could achieve a 20 yard increase in carry distance. Unfortunately most are buying blind off the rack. Then add to that the gurus that are on the message boards that know the ideal numbers and think they are achieving them because their numbers in launch and spin are mimicking what is happening on the weekend on TV. The funny part is, that some of the numbers might be, but rarely are all of them and because of that, 3-4 times a round, they lose a drive that if they went with something a little different would offer up a level of forgiveness that they would not struggle so much with. Higher loft means less manhood evidently [who knew], but let it be our little secret that many times higher loft also means a more forgiving driver and when you shoot lower with higher, apparently you feel more like a man anyway. Obviously the last part I say in jest, but you get the idea.

This is definitely not an attack or knock on anybody here, just my thoughts on why I am going with more loft after doing some experimentation.

Some fantastic info JB. I saw some odd results in the beginning of my testing at Golfsmith (w a 10.5 and 9). As time went on I saw what the wise man was saying but carry decreased. I've always been fit to lower loft heads and it just confuses me until I hit the darn things.

that looks beautiful :banana:

Here's a question that maybe you can't answer, but maybe you can:

If you have a head 1.5° higher in loft, will you see a corresponding change in launch? Give or take a half degree or so. Also, do you expect that the spin rate will go up a bit? I'm guessing spin won't go up much, but it's just a guess.

I know he answered below but this is what I saw. I saw in time (as I got more into the session and a bit more worn out), the backspin go up and side spin go down. Early on, the 10.5* gave me a higher average launch angle of about 2* more. Spin was up a 100 or so. But side spin was more early with the 10.5. Like JB said its all a matter of swing. I've always been fit to lower lofts (which I consider 9 and 9.5) because of my swing (its not a good angle of attack).

That makes sense, Tmex. I just need to hit it I guess.

Great numbers! What is your swing speed? I am very interested in the Classic!!!
My driver SS is between 110-115 mph. It is a very nice club to hit and paired with the high end stock shafts... almost a no brainer to choose Cleveland!

More loft has always given me more forgiveness in my game. I get less side spin out of the higher lofted clubs and the ideal launch conditions for me are higher launch with lower spin which I can achieve easier with the 12* head.

A wise man once told me (famous club fitter) something via email that I saved and I will paste it below.

With the new technology in place, the idea of better players playing lower lofts is wrong. In the 80s and 90s, most tour pros carried between a 7 and 9 degree driver. Now most are 8.5 to 11 with some even higher. Why you ask? Because the higher you launch the ball without bringing in too much more spin, the more the ball will fly and you can achieve greater distance. If one takes ego and social credit out of the equation and goes strictly on the best numbers after 50 golf balls, more amateurs would be playing 12-13 degree drivers than that of anything lower. If you can find a very low spinning head and partner that with a higher loft and high launching low spin shaft, the average amateur that is used to too much spin could achieve a 20 yard increase in carry distance. Unfortunately most are buying blind off the rack. Then add to that the gurus that are on the message boards that know the ideal numbers and think they are achieving them because their numbers in launch and spin are mimicking what is happening on the weekend on TV. The funny part is, that some of the numbers might be, but rarely are all of them and because of that, 3-4 times a round, they lose a drive that if they went with something a little different would offer up a level of forgiveness that they would not struggle so much with. Higher loft means less manhood evidently [who knew], but let it be our little secret that many times higher loft also means a more forgiving driver and when you shoot lower with higher, apparently you feel more like a man anyway. Obviously the last part I say in jest, but you get the idea.

This is definitely not an attack or knock on anybody here, just my thoughts on why I am going with more loft after doing some experimentation.

That is very interesting JB, thanks you for that.

The Classic 9* was best for me for sure. I was launching at 15-16 degrees with the 43S C Kua. My side spin was extremely low (28-400) and total spin was 1900-2500. Carry distances ranged from 270-280 with a ball speed of 149ish on this exact same launch monitor. The other head/shaft combos were netting me 245-265 yards carry.

Your swingspeed and mine aren't awfully different, yet my spin numbers with the classic and the 43S C. Kua (albeit in a 10.5 head) were almost 4000 rpms on average. Also, my launch with the 10.5 was just over 10* instead of the 15-16 you were getting (and am envious of). I believe part of that was I was teeing the ball lower for my current driver and think I need to raise it a bit for the classic. Part of it too is that I come into the ball with hands leading a lot for a driver. But it just shows that EVERYONE should hit the drivers before buying off the rack.

Getting 270-280 carry with 149ish ball speed seems very efficient. I can't imagine a scenario where you won't be buying this driver.

Your swingspeed and mine aren't awfully different, yet my spin numbers with the classic and the 43S C. Kua (albeit in a 10.5 head) were almost 4000 rpms on average. Also, my launch with the 10.5 was just over 10* instead of the 15-16 you were getting (and am envious of). I believe part of that was I was teeing the ball lower for my current driver and think I need to raise it a bit for the classic. Part of it too is that I come into the ball with hands leading a lot for a driver. But it just shows that EVERYONE should hit the drivers before buying off the rack.

Getting 270-280 carry with 149ish ball speed seems very efficient. I can't imagine a scenario where you won't be buying this driver.
I ordered it yesterday. :) I think my high ball speed was 154 and low was 147, but the bulk were right near 149-150. I was teeing it a little higher, and found that helped. I have a couple of pics just like the one JB posted of the launch monitor screen on my phone and both of them show 149 mph ball speed and 15.1 and 15.6 launch angles. The 15.1 had a carry of 271 and the 15.6 had a carry of 276 (same ball speed) giving merit to JB's post stating basically that getting it in the air gives it more distance. Interesting!

I ordered it yesterday. :) I think my high ball speed was 154 and low was 147, but the bulk were right near 149-150. I was teeing it a little higher, and found that helped. I have a couple of pics just like the one JB posted of the launch monitor screen on my phone and both of them show 149 mph ball speed and 15.1 and 15.6 launch angles. The 15.1 had a carry of 271 and the 15.6 had a carry of 276 (same ball speed) giving merit to JB's post stating basically that getting it in the air gives it more distance. Interesting!

Awesome man, there's going to be quite a few Classic owners here shortly.

Hey Guys, I plan to go hit one of these as soon as i can. I currently hit a R9 Superdeep, 10.5*, 55g Fujikuro Motore F1. I really like the deep face and I'm looking forward to hitting the Classic. Does anyone know how the Classic will compare to the Superdeep?

Hey Guys, I plan to go hit one of these as soon as i can. I currently hit a R9 Superdeep, 10.5*, 55g Fujikuro Motore F1. I really like the deep face and I'm looking forward to hitting the Classic. Does anyone know how the Classic will compare to the Superdeep?

I find it more forgiving laterally than the SuperDeep. Similar spin numbers and for my game a better standard shaft.

Thanks JB, That's what I was hoping to hear. Mostly because I want to buy a new club but I also because I know that too many drives get away from me.

Anybody have any comparisons of the Classic to the Titleist 907 D2 10.5* with GD YS-6+ stiff shaft? Have been playing it for about 4 years and have tried many others (TM, Callaway, Cleveland TL310 (wasn't comfortable with the open face), Titleist 910 D2, etc.) over the past couple of years but have not found anything I could hit anything as consistent. Ready for a change and like the Classic. Thinking the 290 10.5* with stock stiff. Recently purchased the Mashie FWs in 14* and 18* with stock stiff and really like them.

There is nothing in this thread putting me off this driver.

tomahawk, your numbers look incredibly good with this setup. Ball speed coming off the driver is pretty similar to mine, so it's giving me thought about trying to get my launch angle up a bit with this and seeing if I can get some results!

There is nothing in this thread putting me off this driver.

tomahawk, your numbers look incredibly good with this setup. Ball speed coming off the driver is pretty similar to mine, so it's giving me thought about trying to get my launch angle up a bit with this and seeing if I can get some results!

Yes, I really am happy with them. It seems that if you can launch this thing about 15.5* +/-, the carry numbers are really good on the monitor. I really want to get it out on the course and see what it can do.

Just got an email from Dennis at Blind 9 Golf that my custom Classic has just shipped!!! It can't get here soon enough, but they've managed to ship it 4 days ahead of schedule. Awesome!!!

Just got an email from Dennis at Blind 9 Golf that my custom Classic has just shipped!!! It can't get here soon enough, but they've managed to ship it 4 days ahead of schedule. Awesome!!!

I'm jealous and excited for you dude!

GMac just posted a pic of his driver, supporting today's launch date

235b7ab4c2f0946aad9fcd9b24d02c2f_large.jpg

So I have been anxiously awaiting this day and just called the local Dicks Sporting goods to see if these bad boys showed up. The answer was a no and they have no idea when they will get them. Dicks website doesn't even have the Classic available to purchase. Not happy.

GMac just posted a pic of his driver, supporting today's launch date

235b7ab4c2f0946aad9fcd9b24d02c2f_large.jpg

I'm tempted right now to order this with a white shaft because it looks nice. Numbers be darned ;) Actually I just want tohit a white shaft. I think a 10.5 stock might be the ticket.

So I have been anxiously awaiting this day and just called the local Dicks Sporting goods to see if these bad boys showed up. The answer was a no and they have no idea when they will get them. Dicks website doesn't even have the Classic available to purchase. Not happy.

Dude, go through Blind9. They are very good to THPers...and....I just got something in the mail...

Too bad you didn't get the cool, retro packaging, but I am glad you didn't hurt yourself with that knife.

I love the headcover, although I think I would really prefer a Mashie style sock headcover.

Too bad you didn't get the cool, retro packaging, but I am glad you didn't hurt yourself with that knife.

I love the headcover, but I would really prefer a Mashie style sock headcover.

The retro packaging is not consumer packaging, but media and pre-release.

Back