Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

With the low spin of this head, I would go with the higher loft if I were you. Just my opinion from the outside looking in, but launch with low spin is a good thing.

Well damn! Maybe I should go with the 12 hahaha?

Going with the 10.5 BUT what do you guys think about the 43 vs 59 shafts? Seems 43 is stock but wondering if the 59 would be better?

Anyone hit both shafts to compare? Thanks

Going with the 10.5 BUT what do you guys think about the 43 vs 59 shafts? Seems 43 is stock but wondering if the 59 would be better?

I have hit both. My launch monitor numbers were best the the 43S which was surprising. I prefer heavier shafts, but I can't deny the numbers, so I ordered my classic with the 43S.

The easier question is why do you think the 59 would be better?

The easier question is why do you think the 59 would be better?

Was thinking that the 59 would be slightly heavier than the 43 and it seems from whatni have read that the 59 is a better all around shaft? That could be wrong /shrug

Also the 59 Says it's a mid/high shaft and the 43 is a low/mid shaft SO if what you say about high launch is good for a very low spin club like the classic MAYBE the 59 would give it even higher launch without needing to go with the 12 degree? Again I could and am probably just talking out my *** haha but any advice would be great since I really won't be able to hit it first!

Was thinking that the 59 would be slightly heavier than the 43 and it seems from whatni have read that the 59 is a better all around shaft? That could be wrong /shrug

It will be slightly heavier, but it does not mean it is more stable (some believe that). What you will find is that it will completely depend on the user and which one will fit them better.

It will be slightly heavier, but it does not mean it is more stable (some believe that). What you will find is that it will completely depend on the user and which one will fit them better.

What's your thought on the 2nd part of my answer?

What's your thought on the 2nd part of my answer?

That would be completely dependent on the golfer. I am a believer in as much loft as a person can sustain. I can tell you that after playing both, the 59 in a 10.5 does not launch as high as the 43 with a 12* driver.

Since you are looking for shaft options, why not get a fitting to solve all of this with some real numbers?

That would be completely dependent on the golfer. I am a believer in as much loft as a person can sustain. I can tell you that after playing both, the 59 in a 10.5 does not launch as high as the 43 with a 12* driver.

Since you are looking for shaft options, why not get a fitting to solve all of this with some real numbers?

Totally agree, and was just going to say this. You should do your best to get fit for your new purchase, and not guess. Makes you feel good and very confident that your new equipment fits your game.

I'm with you guys on getting fitted BUT I'm over 3 hours away from the closest place to get on a machine!

I'm with you guys on getting fitted BUT I'm over 3 hours away from the closest place to get on a machine!

Are you sure? Many golf courses have them. You can also check with demo days in your area as well as private fitters.

JB - I'm curious as to what clubs are they all talking about? the 270 or 290 or even the 310?

Today I played and demoed the Black 12* and Mashie 3w 15.5 both with regular shafts. I liked them a lot. In fact on one hole a 480 yard par 5's I hit the Mashie twice to about 10 ft off the front of the green. Hit a chip to a foot of the hole. Great birdie.

I really like the way the Classic looks and am going to demo one next weekend.

Thanks!

I can't believe this thread has fallen so far down the list. I brought it to the range this evening, and yep, it's still the best driver ever created. High bombs, low ropes, it does it all.

Breeze slight into and across today, and I hit one medium-high, slight fade bomb that landed in the trees that are about 310 away. If you have not hit this driver, you must try it.

Thanks for the awesome tidbit, G4L.

I had a pretty decent day with the Classic today. I seemed to slice this driver less than the Fit today, even when the Fit was in a closed face position AND its weights on draw bias. It's weird, but I feel like I can make an easier swing with the Classic and get a similar result than a mashed hit with my RAZR. I was playing solo during my entire round today and had some time to hit two tee shots off of a few of the holes in today's round. 4/5 drives with the Classic were closer to my target line than the Fit today for me, on pretty decent strikes. I feel like the C. Kua shaft loads very easily for my swing, and I don't have to put a kill swing on the ball to send it out pretty far.

I can't believe this thread has fallen so far down the list. I brought it to the range this evening, and yep, it's still the best driver ever created. High bombs, low ropes, it does it all.

Breeze slight into and across today, and I hit one medium-high, slight fade bomb that landed in the trees that are about 310 away. If you have not hit this driver, you must try it.

What are the specs of your Classic?

Thanks for the awesome tidbit, G4L.

I had a pretty decent day with the Classic today. I seemed to slice this driver less than the Fit today, even when the Fit was in a closed face position AND its weights on draw bias. It's weird, but I feel like I can make an easier swing with the Classic and get a similar result than a mashed hit with my RAZR. I was playing solo during my entire round today and had some time to hit two tee shots off of a few of the holes in today's round. 4/5 drives with the Classic were closer to my target line than the Fit today for me, on pretty decent strikes. I feel like the C. Kua shaft loads very easily for my swing, and I don't have to put a kill swing on the ball to send it out pretty far.

How's the new grip working for you (and what grip did you get again)??

How's the new grip working for you (and what grip did you get again)??

The new grip is working a lot better than the old Lamkin. I stuck with Lamkin however, and got the R.E.L. 3Gen grip on the Classic. Softer than the stock grip and I feel like it's a bit thicker on the Classic, which I like a lot.

What are the specs of your Classic?

I got the 290 in 10.5* with the Kusala White 56X shaft at 45.25" in length (same as stock C. Kua length I believe).

Brett - are you coming to the outing? I want to see you bombing this thing. It looks like that Kusala has been a real good option for the higher swing speeds and more aggressive swingers.

I got the 290 in 10.5* with the Kusala White 56X shaft at 45.25" in length (same as stock C. Kua length I believe).

What made you decide on the White?

Brett - are you coming to the outing? I want to see you bombing this thing. It looks like that Kusala has been a real good option for the higher swing speeds and more aggressive swingers.

Yes, I'll be at the outing. If you don't have your Classic by then, you're free to give it a go.

What made you decide on the White?
When I had the Classic 290 with the stock C. Kua Stiff on the monitor at Golfsmith, despite the low spin head I was still averaging about 3800 spin rate. They didn't have an X to test out in the C. Kua, but I suspect that even with the C. Kua X, I would be spinning the ball too much. I figure, maybe 500-600 rpms reduction going to the X from Stiff.

So I took a chance and went with the Kusala White, and so far it seems like it was a good choice. FWIW, my avg. SS with the Classic on the monitor was about 119 mph.

Yes, I'll be at the outing. If you don't have your Classic by then, you're free to give it a go.

When I had the Classic 290 with the stock C. Kua Stiff on the monitor at Golfsmith, despite the low spin head I was still averaging about 3800 spin rate. They didn't have an X to test out in the C. Kua, but I suspect that even with the C. Kua X, I would be spinning the ball too much. I figure, maybe 500-600 rpms reduction going to the X from Stiff.

So I took a chance and went with the Kusala White, and so far it seems like it was a good choice. FWIW, my avg. SS with the Classic on the monitor was about 119 mph.

I wish we lived closer together. I would absolutely love to try out that combo. I am a few MPH slower than you, closer to 116, but that combo is extremely interesting.

I wish we lived closer together. I would absolutely love to try out that combo. I am a few MPH slower than you, closer to 116, but that combo is extremely interesting.

Its a great combo no doubt, but yeah, from Tennessee its a bit of a hike. What I love so far is I can hit a high bomb, and it just goes forever. It doesn't spin and then drop straight down.

Its a great combo no doubt, but yeah, from Tennessee its a bit of a hike. What I love so far is I can hit a high bomb, and it just goes forever. It doesn't spin and then drop straight down.

I am going tomorrow to get fitted by a well known pro out of Memphis and I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a combo that does that for me as well.

This thread has fallen way too far. I went to get fitted for a new driver and the pro working with me told me that due to my steep swing path and the fact that I hit down on the ball w/ the driver that no club will bring down my launch and spin.

So naturally I purchased a Classic 290 w/ Miyazaki Blue 72x today. I mean, what else did you expect? I wanted a new driver hahaha.

Back