Cleveland Launcher UHX Irons

Just kinda wishing they did something better with the aesthetics. When I hit the 7i demo the back cavity gave me that, Let’s just rush this and get it to market feeling. Unfinished looking to mj eye. Maybe a two tone scheme like the Turbo would have looked better. Just my opinion though. Looks are always subjective. Maybe edition number two will look better down the road.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I could not see myself with the HB heads looking out of my bag.
But I guess you are right. If you don’t like the looks of the set then everything else does not matter.

I hit the 7i today at the golf store for a half dozen swings... I can totally see the appeal of these. Very easy to hit and a great looking golf club.

EDIT: re-reading this thread it is awesome to see so many folks hit them well. I was really impressed by the sound/feel, and that they are a nice overall compromise of hollow body size. I think Cleveland and Srixon both are working hard to offer clubs that offer unique performance at a price that offers great value. These and the Turbo's completely caught me by surprise, and I'm looking forward to hitting the Turbos next.

Last edited:
Excited, UHX heads shipped today! Looking forward to getting shafts in these and getting out on the course, in the weather in the PNW cooperates.

93AEA700-DBB8-40EF-ABDC-A759400DD97D.jpeg

Consistent reviews out there on this one - it will be in the mix for me if I choose to switch up irons. I am jumping in the camp of using the easiest club you can stand to look at and these might fill the bill.

The price on these are amazing. I have really enjoyed these thus far but I think I am going to throw in a set of Elevates and see what happens
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I was seeing Sunday, I think Elevate 95 and also don’t sleep on AMT Red - only knock is the lack of VSS

From what I was seeing Sunday, I think Elevate 95 and also don’t sleep on AMT Red - only knock is the lack of VSS

I think I’m settled in with the Steelfibers. The Elevate 95’s are a great combo but the Steelfibers are everything that I’m looking for. The AMT Red does have me intrigued though.

I think I’m settled in with the Steelfibers. The Elevate 95’s are a great combo but the Steelfibers are everything that I’m looking for. The AMT Red does have me intrigued though.

I'm doing the same with the SteelFiber fc90CW shafts. Have a feeling this will be a great combination, seeing this is the shaft that is the default "graphite" shaft in some of the most expensive clubs coming out this year.

I hope that with the softer tip and the ultra forgiving heads hollow heads don't create to high of a ball flight or ballooning shots.

Thanks to @UST Mamiya I’ve got a Cleveland UHX utility with a really, really cool custom Recoil 95 proto pairing to test out.

18798C69-29C8-4D3E-BCA3-5501A0788A6C.jpegE5854C44-417E-4BCE-8C7C-3B58C5E86B60.jpeg

Even though It was about 45 degrees out yesterday, needed to get this out on the course to get some feedback before the “real” winter comes. Took it down to the executive-length course in the area so I could take a bunch of swings with it off the tee. Definitely earns the “Launcher” name - even the balls I hit really low on the face got up in the area.

Profile down by the ball was nice - bigger than the Apex CF19 I play, probably closer to the Big Bertha in profile. But squares up the ball nice. Distance was about the same, maybe a bit longer, as I was seeing with the CF19 iron, which is right around the same loft. Definitely a higher flight. Sound was what I’d expect from a hollow body iron with nothing inside - sharp, tingy sound. And having played the HB Turbos the week before, that stood out to me - in many ways, those sounded far more solid despite their hybrid construction.

The recoil 95 is a perfect pairing for this setup - lighter than the 110g iron shafts I play in my irons, which is welcome when the irons start to get longer. Looking forward to sharing more thoughts on this one as I get out more.

Thanks to @UST Mamiya I’ve got a Cleveland UHX utility with a really, really cool custom Recoil 95 proto pairing to test out.

View attachment 8916102View attachment 8916104

Even though It was about 45 degrees out yesterday, needed to get this out on the course to get some feedback before the “real” winter comes. Took it down to the executive-length course in the area so I could take a bunch of swings with it off the tee. Definitely earns the “Launcher” name - even the balls I hit really low on the face got up in the area.

Profile down by the ball was nice - bigger than the Apex CF19 I play, probably closer to the Big Bertha in profile. But squares up the ball nice. Distance was about the same, maybe a bit longer, as I was seeing with the CF19 iron, which is right around the same loft. Definitely a higher flight. Sound was what I’d expect from a hollow body iron with nothing inside - sharp, tingy sound. And having played the HB Turbos the week before, that stood out to me - in many ways, those sounded far more solid despite their hybrid construction.

The recoil 95 is a perfect pairing for this setup - lighter than the 110g iron shafts I play in my irons, which is welcome when the irons start to get longer. Looking forward to sharing more thoughts on this one as I get out more.
Looking forward to following your experience on this one, especially with that shaft.

CBX 2 wedge and UHX heads seen in a different light. Ready for shafts!

20191128_111653.jpg

I'm an aging golfer (63), and a seriously thinking about going Launcher Turbo 4,5,6, UHX 7-Gap, with CBX 2 wedges.
How do you guys think the Launcher Turbo and UHX could work as a blended set??

I've hit al three clubs, love them. Just looking for help in the top of the bag?

I'm an aging golfer (63), and a seriously thinking about going Launcher Turbo 4,5,6, UHX 7-Gap, with CBX 2 wedges.
How do you guys think the Launcher Turbo and UHX could work as a blended set??

I've hit al three clubs, love them. Just looking for help in the top of the bag?

I think pretty well actually. Most times this doesn't work that well, but Cleveland might have nailed the blend if they work for your gaps.

I didn't like the Cleveland HB Launcher Turbo irons. They looked, at address, like a set of utility woods not a set of irons. I exchanged them on a 45 day buy back deal and ordered these UHX irons. They are the replacement for the previous Cleveland CBX irons. The 5, 6 & 7 irons are hollow and the 8, 9 & PW are cavity back. If it's not raining tomorrow I look forward to getting them in play.

The one pick is of the hollow 7 iron and cavity back PW. The other pic shows the beautiful V sole design.

Attachments

• 12 23 19 UHX irons b.jpg
    12 23 19 UHX irons b.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 12 23 19 UHX irons a.jpg
    12 23 19 UHX irons a.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 35
Let us know what you think after playing them. I really like the CBX and have played them since the first of the year. I'm interested in what you think. Thanks.

First round in the books today. First impression, I really like these irons. I didn't feel any difference in impact feel between the hollow 5, 6 & 7 irons and the cavity back 8, 9 & PW. I hit a lot of iron shots thin today, probably due to looking for the correct at address posture position as well as the proper ball position with these new irons. A few solid shots, but mostly a little thin. Very forgiving though as all the thin shots did go straight and my forearms didn't vibrate like a tuning fork. Looking down at the 5 iron at address you can see just a little bit of the back of the hollow iron behind the heel, but it doesn't take away from the at address look, and the back of the hollow 6 & 7 irons doesn't show. Hit a 9 iron on the par 3 17th hole that felt like butter, just pure. The turf interaction is great, the V sole gets thru the ground very well.

All in all it was a most enjoyable first impression with these new UHX irons and look forward to the next round.

Last edited:
I played the CBX all year and will continue to in 2020. When I'm ready for a new set I'll be looking at what Cleveland has out. They always made great clubs before Srixon bought them and that didn't hurt. I'm glad to see them in the total club business again instead of just wedges.

the uhx utility has my interest

2nd round in with these sweet UHX irons. Love the Miyuzaki C Kua 6R regular shaft. I'm zeroing in on the ball position away from the ball as well as ball position fore & aft. Hit 12 greens today with only a few thin hits, most impacts at or near the sweet spot. Played the Callaway Hex Tour Soft ball today and saw nice action on the greens. Playing again tomorrow and looking forward to finding the correct ball position more often tomorrow.

So happy with these irons only after 2 rounds.

Heavily thinking about these in my 4 and 5i spot............

I was killing some time last weekend at PGATSS and tried out a UHX 7-iron, and...well, the plan of holding on to my current irons is in jeopardy! Feel, distance, sound - UHX checked all of the boxes for me.
It took a while, but I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of UHX irons (4-DW). Can’t wait to get them!!

It took a while, but I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of UHX irons (4-DW). Can’t wait to get them!!

Congrats on the new irons!

Back