Cleveland RTX-4 Wedges

I have had the RTX3 in the bag all season. I’m finding a lot of success with basic chips with a square club face to ensure the bounce is there to help when the shot is a little fat. The RTX4, with its different grind options, brings in the ability and comfort level of opening the face. I played the Low grind (which reminds me a lot of the MD2 C grind that I found a lot of success with) for the majority of the round. I had several shots around the green from tight lies that where very predictable and had me really looking forward to playing the low grind in the future...until Canadan and I started working around the green on 14. Flopping a shot in with the full grind has me rethinking everything!

I did not have a lot of success with full swings. I play a 58 and the extra loft of the 60 definitely took some getting used to when taking a full cut. I’m sure a little range time would fix it. I did have a shot from 70-ish yards that was hit clean and checked nicely.

I thought it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that I’d be getting a black or raw finish on these, but after watching that video and seeing that satin/chrome finish I’m not so sure now. Those look phenomenal!

While I didn't get many shots with the RTX4 in my round today, I did have an opportunity to have a couple short range sessions with AMart and got the film going to show you what we were experiencing. It was pretty funny to watch Andy (who had one of the wedges in the bag for the first 14 holes) clearly make the switch to a different wedge after these videos... You'll see why.

Good videos! The results don't lie lol. 9° of bounce with full grind isn't a ton of bounce so I can see it providing good support when you open the face

Great videos. Nice chipping with both clubs there.

I've got a couple more videos but I don't think I adequately told the story as I was walking through my experiences. I think I need to take some more time to better understand the grind options and the additional bounce added to the wedges when you crank the face open.

One thing I noticed with the xlow profile is that it supported an open face without blasting through the turf. I could feel it engaged and ricochet off the ground rather than driving into it, which seemed to open up the opportunity for better misses on floppers that aren't for the faint of heart. Adversely, the full grind profile had me driving hard through the turf, creating healthy divots despite the open face flop efforts. A very different experience, and the shaping of the wedges are pretty telling of this;

rtx4_grind_overview.jpg

You can see just how much of that wedge leading edge is lifted on the xlow. Kind of wild.

really nice looking wedge compared to the 3. I'm diggin the larger font. nice chip in!

Wow!

Kinda feel bad about leaving Cleveland for Mizuno. But let's say it's only temporary ;)

They look very solid, hope to demo them to see how they feel and look.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Seriously though, I think I'm going to have to get in on the Pre-release order thing and pick up a full sole 60*. I like the 2 dot in the 50*, but I'm thinking I might make the move to full sole on the 56 and 60... 60 for sure.

Great short videos. How is the weight compared to your J15 wedges?

I'm going to have to try and do some comparisons for you the next time out. With some other clubs in for review I'm already floating dangerously close to the 20 club mark when out there haha

Have one of them in the bag for the next 2 rounds of golf at Olympia Fields for THP Shaft Up.
Should be fun to get some feedback.

These are ordered... Might have them in the bag for the THP Championship.

I got the 54 Mid & the 58 Low, in the Black Stain finish, will post thoughts as soon as I put him them in play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are ordered... Might have them in the bag for the THP Championship.

I got the 54 Mid & the 58 Low, in the Black Stain finish, will post thoughts as soon as I put him them in play.

Looking forward to your thoughts. I have the 56 mid in black going in play this week.

Looking forward to your thoughts. I have the 56 mid in black going in play this week.

I haven’t seen them in hand... I’m a little disappointed in the fact that the 50 Degree isn’t available in the 3 Dot anymore... I guess that if you want a 50 Degree 3 Dot, you should just go with the CBX anyway.

Looking at loft options...ooof.

Force ya into mid for 50 and 54 rather than offer the full lower sole. Big time boooh.

Looking at loft options...ooof.

Force ya into mid for 50 and 54 rather than offer the full lower sole. Big time boooh.

I don't really understand why the full isn't in the lower lofts. Surprises me a lot.

I don't really understand why the full isn't in the lower lofts. Surprises me a lot.
I could see the 50* push to cbx i guess...but not 54* thats my crutch

I like the looks of these. Need to try to find somewhere to hit em.

I'd be curious to see how the X Low stacks up to Callaway's X Grind

Love the look of the 4s.

Will be looking for some good specials on the outgoing 3s though. Come on end of August sale.......

Any thoughts on the different grinds for full shots?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

These wedges look great and their V Sole's are fabulous but they need to come up with more shaft options in addition to DG S400. Somtehing lighter and with a different flex.

These wedges look great and their V Sole's are fabulous but they need to come up with more shaft options in addition to DG S400. Somtehing lighter and with a different flex.

I haven't looked to see if it is offered yet, but when I had the RTX3's, I had the Rotex Graphite in wedge flex. Lighter and very good shaft. Had no issues with it at all.

Any thoughts on the different grinds for full shots?

Kev, Right now I have a mid bounce in the 54 and full on the 58 in my RTX-3s. My 58 has a slight relief on the trailing edge which I can tell when I open the face slightly to pitch.

I went with the same on the 54 RTX4, but I went with a low bounce option for the 58 this time. I have always liked a lot of bounce on my wedges but the extra relief on the heel and toe sounds a little appealing this time with having the bounce in the middle sole for square face longer shots. I play on bent grass which having a lot of bounce for longer square shots really is great, but when I need to get the ball up the relief is what intrigued me this time.

Back