Cleveland RTX-4 Wedges

@Canadan... Besides the 50 abnonally...J15 or these? Simple question but comprehensive at the same time.

I loved the RTX from the beginning and even so thought they spinned too much. Now that I dont play as often I could use that on less than stellar shots. (Read into that most of them).

Short game is usually where I can overcome something away from the green. I haven't had that luxury lately. Don't know if it is the profile or the bounce...but I'm looking hard at these.

Put the J15 back in play last round and a comfort I haven't felt in a while came back.

Yeah, got a first hand look at these yesterday. Stunning. So stoked to get these in play

@Canadan... Besides the 50 abnonally...J15 or these? Simple question but comprehensive at the same time.

I loved the RTX from the beginning and even so thought they spinned too much. Now that I dont play as often I could use that on less than stellar shots. (Read into that most of them).

Short game is usually where I can overcome something away from the green. I haven't had that luxury lately. Don't know if it is the profile or the bounce...but I'm looking hard at these.

Put the J15 back in play last round and a comfort I haven't felt in a while came back.

That's a pretty tough question to ask for a few reasons.

Most of my review of the RTX4 will be about the grind variety and the effective of the wedge overall as I was provided the 60 degree wedge in all four grind options. It's really hard to go toe to toe comparison with another wedge without putting the same lofts through the paces. Especially when the wedge we're comparing and my love for it is basically rooted in the mid loft (54) degree.

I do think there's more spin than J15, but that is what appeals to me most about that wedge (because of my extra spin). I can use my non-lob wedge clubs for max distance, but at the cost of big time action around the greens and in the bunkers. They just aren't anywhere near as lively.

Finally, the aren't as compact. J15 is a pretty non-traditional shape for a wedge (unlike J40 and Tour B which had larger more typical faces). At the end of the day, I feel like J15 was not really comparable to much.

I'd be curious to see how the X Low stacks up to Callaway's X Grind
If I'm understanding correctly, the XLow would be closer to the C grind from Callaway.

If I'm understanding correctly, the XLow would be closer to the C grind from Callaway.

The way I read it, I think the Low and the C Grind will be a close comparison.
I could be wrong....

JB said these shipped yesterday.....Next week!

Yessir. 2bfast and mancest won the new wedges for their reviews of the equipment from the gamechanger event.
did you get a set tpo review from the Gamechanger event?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yessir. 2bfast and mancest won the new wedges for their reviews of the equipment from the gamechanger event.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I saw that, wonder how I missed it

441 and I spent about an hour with these greenside after lunch today. It was a lot of fun getting through the grind options and gaining a bit of an appreciation for what they can accomplish.

No question in my mind that the extra low is going to be a huge benefit over the full (for example) when you're a golfer seeking that open face flop profile. It sits super low behind the ball with the face twisted open, and it really doesn't take me much to hit clean contact on the flop. I hit some pretty ridiculous flops from fringe lies that had me laughing.

I was fortunate to spend most of my time in the middle of the face, but the obvious milling outside of the grooves adds a nice little bit of confidence on those shots that slide towards the toe, like you might get some help out there.

What might be my favourite thing about RTX4 is how good they feel, and how easy good contact is obtained. The V Sole profile on most of the grinds interacts so well with the ground. Even messing around out on course on the tee boxes, you get a sense like there's no bad shot, only good and better shots in terms of contact quality.

The one thing that still baffles me is why there isn't a full option on lofts lower than 56 degree. I feel like the closer a golfer gets to his set the more he wants the ability to have that neutral back profile that drives well through the turf. If I've got the option of wedges personally, I'm going to try and eliminate the back of the sole grinds on clubs I don't intend to open the face on. Seems like a great option against the mid grind, which offers lofts from 46-60 degrees.

All that in mind, I think 50-mid, 54-mid, and 58-low is where I'd land. The X low is pretty awesome, but it may lack the versatility on ALL shots, and I'm not the biggest flopper out there.

I wish wish wish the Low was made in a 54*. Such an easy and versatile club to hit ?
(And that's coming from someone that hasnt hit a 60* in a really long time).

The x low was fun for me (especially on the course) for those green side shots out of the wet rough. Im not a big flop shot guy or even someone that gets the greenside shots silly airborn. But i saw some nice shots with it that checked up rather nicely (the spin on these is silly) and gave myself some really respectable par putts (instead of watching balls roll out and past the pin like normal). I didnt really try the club beyond greenside (thanks to the low gring being a Baller) but id seriously ponder adding a 60* in the bag as another wedge (since i have the spot open in the bag).

The MVP was the Low sole. Similar resuots green side as the x low from the rough but we worked on shots off the fringe (which is where I usually putt) and this one was my most consistent option without a doubt. Again some crazy checking up range balls from greenside was entertaining.
BUT the best part about the LOW was the partial to full shots on the course. 3 times i was in my uncomfortable range of 85 to 90 yards where i am typically 1 for 3 at best.
I managed to go 3 for 3 hitting the green with this club including an 88 yard wedge shot to less than 2 feet. Rips through the turf and just flat out produced.

I cant comment much on the mid and full. Neither were as inpressive greenside as the other 2 options (for me) and i just wasnt in those distances on the course enough to give the full swing a run. Plus frankly the way i was hitting the LOW sole it would have been tough to try something else.

All in all im a big fan of the clubs. The only downside as previously covered is the lack of options below 56* for some of the grinds. If i was to buy 3 today id almost be forced into mid mid low (didnt spend enough tine with the full to get a solid comfort level) even if that isnt what might work best for me.

Cleveland RTX-4 Wedges

Fantastic thoughts Canadan and 441. Sounds like the RTX 4’s have the sole option I would have loved on the RTX 3’s on my 58

Fantastic thoughts Canadan and 441. Sounds like the RTX 4’s have the sole option I would have loved on the RTX 3’s on my 58
Id agree with that. Glad to see they are taking the orevious iteration and putting something better out there rather than releasing something just to have a release.

I’ll have mine next week!!! Excited!!

Another round with the RTX4 on board and I'm starting to really get in tune with the 'low' grind in the 60 degree profile.

One thing that immediately stands out about this wedge is the ground engagement. I think there are plenty of wedges out there that do a great job of interacting with the ball, but RTX4 is a stalwart when it comes to making great contact with both the ball AND the ground. I just don't feel like I have any difficulty making "good" to "great" contact every time. I basically walk up to the ball, decide my distance, and expect quality.

Not a crazy amount of spin for me so far on full swings, but I'm not sure how much I'll really get off the 60 with the loft. It's more like a pancake when it lands which is pretty traditional for me. Around the green, the easier play is to land it soft with a higher pitch or flop, but I can get solid action on lower pitch shots which is perfect. The action I get is more than sufficient to get the ball stopping in the right place.

I also had four shots from the sand today. It was a pretty big show off in there. wide open with spin, neutral, even wide open with a punch... It was all viable and in play. two were kick in pars. one was an unfair spin off a weird part of the green (exactly where I wanted to land it), and one that landed a bit left of my line and rolled out, but aside from being five feet right it was the distance I wanted. Still turned it into a par.

Growing more and more confident with them, and that the X low is my jam in the high loft slot. Feeling like the mid is basically a lock for the two lower lofts.

Cleveland RTX-4 Wedges

got home to find a package on my doorstep...

2f00be11792335a02797a974171a1a68.jpg

93d710763dd34e2bbebd1cb2ae8c52a1.jpg

bfa74a226007b91cf560ef1f8c7e14ea.jpg

2fd7d57f86083e9957281c44f08dee77.jpg

025bac216654957b8fcfdfe0768a54f9.jpg

CBX on left, RTX4 on right

00f12bcac5d908ba86542c25144dcd22.jpg

The rtx4 is smaller but not intimidating and the grind of the low gets me excited to play around with it around the green.

Great write up guys. Can anyone compare these with SM7’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh man......you live in Cali....much shorter distance to you!! Hopefully mine arrive today!!

Great write up guys. Can anyone compare these with SM7’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit both and the recent short game clinic / wedge fitting I went too. Can’t compare them on course, but on the range, the big difference to me (and one of the reasons I didn’t choose them) was the difference in weight. The Cleveland’s were light. Real light. The SM7’s felt much more solid to me. Whether there is a drastic difference in weight, or whether it’s just what I perceived for some reason, I don’t know.

#FiberLaunch

This was waiting when I got home!!

hHjh85F.jpg

Although I will say and being completely honest, the RTX-3's were not very appealing visually. To me at least and that was my only negative about the 3's. I like chromey/shiney finishes. When I seen pictures of the 4's I was instantly excited. When I pulled them out of the box, they are better looking than I expected from the pictures!

Although still not as shiny as I would prefer, they are still very clean and MUCH more visually appealing than previous:

RFV8GTi.jpg

rQDFHeI.jpg

I usually like to play with a lot of bounce with my wedges and can still nip a ball on a tight lie with full bounce but I chose to see what I can do with the low bounce option in the 58. I went with the mid bounce in the 54 which is what I have currently in my RTX-3 54 and I enjoy it.

5gMMlks.jpg

One thing that stands out on the 4's is the milling on the toe. Im sure it doesn't play a huge factor with spin but I catch myself sometimes when I open the blade to catch it on the toe surface out of the rough. With this slight milling it might get some small spin but some is better than none.

objJUNN.jpg

I plan to slide a new grip on it and give this thing a go maybe tomorrow night at the least this weekend!

I will let you know

Back