Cleveland Smart Sole Full-Face Wedges

Can you use your normal putting stroke and setup with the chipper? Thats what I've been looking for. I watched a Utube video and the guy was using it from 50 feet off the green and getting it airborne. I dont see that as a chip. I've used fairway woods to chip from just off the green but there is so much mass in the head distance control is tricky
absolutely you can.

Special order C is already on the way.

Can you use your normal putting stroke and setup with the chipper? Thats what I've been looking for. I watched a Utube video and the guy was using it from 50 feet off the green and getting it airborne. I dont see that as a chip. I've used fairway woods to chip from just off the green but there is so much mass in the head distance control is tricky
I have used the Smart Sole C 4.0 from clear back as far as 70 yds from off the green. but really like it when the pin is in the back or if I am say 10-30 yds off with no trouble in front. I just make a putting style stroke and let the club do the work. For greenside work and really short chips I still use my 56 pr 60 because I feel I have more control but on those chip with maybe a wonky lie or shots I mentioned above I really like the Smart Sole C.

@ddec Nice write up !!

My buddy asked me my thoughts on these knowing I have gamed them in the past and also after getting to see them in the store.

First off, the size kind of took me aback a bit. They are large. I have played the other generations in all 3 models (G, S and C) and this iteration looks to have the largest head. I didn't measure but they looked swole. :)

The color choice is pretty neat. Its not as dark as the previous generation which was about as dark of a gray without being black. But its not a light satin like the CBXs. It reminded me of an older Ping iron colors (think G20, G25 etc. Sort of a medium gray. Which I kinda liked it when seeing them in the store.

Also its cool they added the 64* for this edition. Makes alot of sense. Especially with Callaway having the 64* in the Sure Out and alot of the informercial clubs (Alien, etc) come with a 64* offering. I used the Sure Out 64* for several years. I am not saying this one would make it into the bag as I don't have room after adding the Smart Sole C, but would love to try it at the demo shop.

I also like that they dropped the really heavy 130g stock shaft and went with a 106g steel shaft. And if you want graphite a 90g Dart Shaft.
Both of those weights would mesh better with a GI/SGI iron set than a 130g shaft.

Only downside is this time around they made the Smart Sole C 35" instead of the normal 34". But I looked at the specs and it seems they must have kept the head weight the same so now it swing weights really heavy in the high D's to where it could be shortened back to 34" and keep the same Swing weight as before. So that was nice to see.
I know the Ping ChipR was 35" so maybe they wanted to match it since the ChipR is kind of the hot chipper over the past year or so.

Some in hand shots.

The one with the 3 wedges from left to right is the CBX4 then Smart Sole then RTX for a size comparison.

IMG_9560.jpegIMG_9558.jpegIMG_9557.jpegIMG_9555.jpegIMG_9556.jpegIMG_9553.jpegIMG_9552.jpegIMG_9550.jpeg

oh and I was messing around and hit 5 chips with the SS C from about 25' on their putting green and even with the wrapper on I made 2 of them, one ended up a foot away, 1 was 3' away and one I hit a little too hard and was 8' away. Might have to upgrade.

Is this the 64?

1706306821598.png

Tried to hit the 64 the other day. GG didnt have it in stock. I am half tempted to just order from Carls and call it a day..... but they don't have the bounce listed in the specs.

I saw it in person yesterday. Looks much more conventional than I expected it too, especially at address. Honestly, just a really bouncy, wide-soled lob wedge.
really bouncy? Dag nab it. I was hoping it would be low bounce and let the sole width take care of the rest. That would make it better for me off of tight lies.

really bouncy? Dag nab it. I was hoping it would be low bounce and let the sole width take care of the rest. That would make it better for me off of tight lies.
I don’t know - that’s just a quick take I had looking at it, but I’d still check for yourself. The pics a few posts above are representative of what I saw.

Received my new “C” today. I really like what they did with the face. It looks/feels like a nice wedge. I think my 70-80 yard punch shots will have a little more zip with this one. Really pleased at what I’m seeing.

Ah hell, I ordered one from Carl's. I was going to get the 64* RTX and grind a bit of bounce off, but this might work. If not, I am sure I can flip it at a league with minimal pain.

Ah hell, I ordered one from Carl's. I was going to get the 64* RTX and grind a bit of bounce off, but this might work. If not, I am sure I can flip it at a league with minimal pain.
Sweet. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Received my new “C” today. I really like what they did with the face. It looks/feels like a nice wedge. I think my 70-80 yard punch shots will have a little more zip with this one. Really pleased at what I’m seeing.

Let us know how they play. I was surprised how much height I was getting with the new C (indoor GG range), it could easily be used for most short to midrange pitch shots.

It came today. It looks really odd till you sole It, then It looks pretty normal. Bounce Is pretty low, I'd guess in the 6⁰ range, the leading edge Is comfortably low enough to easily hit off hardpan. But it doesn't seem to want to dig. I only hit a couple 8-9 yard pitches, but dang.... so easy to hit and the ball was getting up 8' or so without even trying. Even my junk yard balls were spinning hard. I need more time with it but so far I am really impressed, once you don't look at the bottom. Lol.
The flatland courses around here are such that if you miss the greens to the side or long, you are assured of a pitch to a well elevated green. This could be just the ticket.

Last edited:
Let us know how they play. I was surprised how much height I was getting with the new C (indoor GG range), it could easily be used for most short to midrange pitch shots.
Played today. I like this version of the C a little better. It is an inch longer, so it took me a few chips to adjust. I was hitting 60-70 yards stop and pops onto the green. I could hit it a little higher than the last version but nothing crazy. It’s a fun one. By the end of the round it was old hat .

IMG_1661.jpegIMG_1662.jpegIMG_1663.jpegI love every thing they have done with this line up. Has premium look. The SW has this high toe that reminds me of the PM wedges. I would absolutely game these. The 64° has really piqued my interest.

I've loved my 58 SS so much, the 64 has me seriously intrigued.
I got the 64 to the Sim today. Just amazing how easy lobs are and how much spin you can get on the ball. Can't wait for outdoor golf.
Between the Lean Lock putter and this lob wedge, I ought to be saving a couple easy strokes per round.

The hydra zip for the chipper has my attention

Back