Cleveland Smart Sole Full-Face Wedges

Yesterday outdoors I used the SS Lob for the first time on a real course. It was fantastic. I even used it out of a very firm bunker with excellent results. The beauty of it (although I cant find the specs) is that is is lowish bounce and squared up works great out of tight lies, unlike taking a 58/60 lob wedge and opening it up, raising the leading edge into the skull zone. Yet unlike a low bounce lob, because of the wide sole, it still works great on soggy ground such as we had yesterday without chunking or digging. Heck, if they made this in a 58*, I might seriously consider it as well, because there will be very little call to open it up with the 64* in the bag.......

Today at the sim round I was missing a lot of greens but hitting pitches and chips inside the 8' gimme range one after the other. Went one streak of 5 holes in a row not touching my putter. (not saying a lot for my approach shots LOL) One of my buddies, who is a very good player just had to try it. He was sold...... I bet he has it ordered it already from Carls. LOL

I know some may scoff, but this design is brilliant, and the SS Lob will fit in many, many bags if guys can get past their egos or worrying about appearances and give it a shot.
I think not having to open the club really simplifies setup and the swing too. Much easier to execute something familiar when under pressure of hitting a good shot.

I think not having to open the club really simplifies setup and the swing too. Much easier to execute something familiar when under pressure of hitting a good shot.
I'm going to stop in at GG on my way home and hit the SS 58 and the CBX4 58. My CBX Zip is getting tired. Not that it didn't last, it lasted much longer than expected, but I hit hundreds of 58's a week, even if they aren't full shots they all take their toll.

SS 64* lob has taken over the vast majority of the work from 60 in. Much more versatile than I thought it would be, just dont play for much release even knocking it down...

Played a sim round today with some younger guys on a course with 9 holes over 400 yards. I won by a stroke despite being the shortest hitter and not having a great driving day as it was. When I miss greens, its not a 100 yard miss. And when I cant get home in 2 on a 434 yard par 4 because I drove in the crap, its usually not a 100 yard approach I am left with. My work around missed or short of greens is well inside of 60 yards, and 60 in is where this 64* lob excels for me. I had a slew of par saving one putts because this wedge was doing what I have come to expect of it, knocking them close....... I did have one front pin I carried the lob 74 yards and pulled the string on it, It came back down the slope 9 yards, spinning a bit over 13,000 rpm. Yes, if you hit that wedge hard it will spin the cover off the ball, thats why I try to keep it 60 and under. But its nice to have the option when you need it.

Bringing back an older thread. After much research on Cleveland wedges, I ordered a new SSFF C wedge from Amazon. It will be here Thursday so I can go to the range Friday before we play Saturday morning.

Next, I will either get a SS4 Dark SW or SSFF SW, then a SSFF 64 Lob.

Do any of you with a SS SW have much experience using the SS 64 Lob from sand or do you just use the L off grass around the greens?

Bringing back an older thread. After much research on Cleveland wedges, I ordered a new SSFF C wedge from Amazon. It will be here Thursday so I can go to the range Friday before we play Saturday morning.

Next, I will either get a SS4 Dark SW or SSFF SW, then a SSFF 64 Lob.

Do any of you with a SS SW have much experience using the SS 64 Lob from sand or do you just use the L off grass around the greens?
Highest loft I have used is a 58*, have not tried out the 65*. However, with the SS being so versatile, I would use it everywhere. Short sided green out of bunker to a tight pin with the 64* would be a definite must use.

Another question, it seems to me that the C and S (and the new L) wedges would definitely benefit from the new Zip groove technology over the SS4 models. Has the new S wedge benefited as much over the SS4 S wedge for a higher handicap player out of sand or do you find yourself using the S wedge on grass enough where the new groove technology really makes a difference? I ask because a buddy has a SS4 Dark S wedge that I could get a great deal on instead of just getting the new S wedge for not much more (and I will still be getting the new L wedge anyhow). Thanks!

Another question, it seems to me that the C and S (and the new L) wedges would definitely benefit from the new Zip groove technology over the SS4 models. Has the new S wedge benefited as much over the SS4 S wedge for a higher handicap player out of sand or do you find yourself using the S wedge on grass enough where the new groove technology really makes a difference? I ask because a buddy has a SS4 Dark S wedge that I could get a great deal on instead of just getting the new S wedge for not much more (and I will still be getting the new L wedge anyhow). Thanks!
How is your sand game? I think my decision would be based off of that. Are you consistently striking the ball well where you need a different groove tech for better spin and control?

If you are struggling out of the bunker, there are so many reasons for that, and I would not put groove technology at the top of the list for struggling out of the sand.

For my money, I would get a good deal on the S Wedge and grab the new L as well. Tinker with them both and work on your sand game. At this point, I would not place a premium on upgraded groove technology over getting consistently good shots out of a bunker. Over time, as you progress and if you see a distinct performance advantage from the L to the S, upgrade to the new S.

Thanks! My research into Cleveland wedges began as a journey to find a new SW to help with some of the troubles I am having in the sand these days. Previous threads touted the virtues of the SS S wedges and here I am. Your suggestion to grab the used SS4 S wedge was why I asked this question and I can easily agree with your confirmation. Plus, one fewer golf club purchases on the CC bill will help maintain "happy wife" status, for a while at least.

Thanks! My research into Cleveland wedges began as a journey to find a new SW to help with some of the troubles I am having in the sand these days. Previous threads touted the virtues of the SS S wedges and here I am. Your suggestion to grab the used SS4 S wedge was why I asked this question and I can easily agree with your confirmation. Plus, one fewer golf club purchases on the CC bill will help maintain "happy wife" status, for a while at least.
I'm still playing a 58* Smart Sole 2 from 2015, and have no issues with it. It does exactly what I need it to do. Eventually, I will probably get one of the newer 58* wedges, as well at the L 64* to play around with. Not sure if the 64* would find a permanent spot, as the 58* is so versatile from bunker shots to full swing shots.

I picked up the Smart Sole 3.0 Chipper and Sand Wedge back in 2019. They've worked well, although I did find them finicky at times. I'd sometimes try to hit a 75-yard SW and completely mishit it, and swinging the C as a full wedge always felt slightly awkward. I used both of them for chipping depending on the situation, with mostly good success.

I just upgraded my whole bag, and as part of that I got the latest Smart Sole Full Face (5.0?) versions. I honestly didn't expect much of a change.

But... wow! HUGE improvement so far! Both of them are _much_ more accurate than the earlier 3.0 models. I feel like basically everything is coming off straight at the pin.

I did struggle with the new SW my first couple rounds out - I kept hitting behind and chunking it. But once I started swinging my hands a bit easier and got comfortable with the weight of the club, it's been magic.

In my round yesterday, I kept hitting my irons 20 yards short (cold, windy, and wet, but also swing wasn't quite working right). But I _repeatedly_ chipped to within 5 feet from 20 yards away, including one that bounced in, hit the pin, and popped out. Easy par putts. That probably saved me 8-10 shots right there.

So yeah, based on a still-relatively-small sample size, this year's Smart Soles seem like a significant upgrade.

Embarrassing admission here. I hover between 5-9 handicap most of the golf season but my short game is absolute trash and holds me back. When I am missing a green I am rooting for the ball to get into a bunker or be in a spot that allows me to putt the ball on to the green. I use by 5wood often to “chip” but anytime I have to hit something high and soft from 50yds and in is a crapshoot.

I’ve been seriously considering a wedge like these or the Callaway CB while I work though these struggles. Any feedback or thoughts is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes. It has become my go to club out of the firm greenside bunkers we have at courses where I play.

Embarrassing admission here. I hover between 5-9 handicap most of the golf season but my short game is absolute trash and holds me back. When I am missing a green I am rooting for the ball to get into a bunker or be in a spot that allows me to putt the ball on to the green. I use by 5wood often to “chip” but anytime I have to hit something high and soft from 50yds and in is a crapshoot.

I’ve been seriously considering a wedge like these or the Callaway CB while I work though these struggles. Any feedback or thoughts is greatly appreciated.
It’s sounds like you owe it to yourself to try. When you don’t use the 5 wood, what club do you pull and what’s the miss with that club?

I didn't like the feel of the Callaway CB MD. Go with a Cleveland CBX ZipCore wedge which are new and on sale on line or maybe these SSFF wedges.

I played the first round with my new SSFF C wedge yesterday. I used it in as many different situations, where it could possibly be appropriate, as I could imagine (including using it to retrieve a ball that dribbled into a water hazard). Everything from 4' chips just off the green to full swing approaches. It can be a very versatile club within 60-70 yards if you use some imagination.

I started getting a feel for how to make good contact with different swings but distance control will take a little longer.

When I got home yesterday I ordered the 58* S wedge and will probably go ahead and get the 64* L wedge this week as well. I like it.

At my lowest handicap of around 5, the smart sole rarely came out of the bag. It just makes the short game easier, and is so versatile for everything I need that it makes sense for me in that 58* spot. I’m quite intrigued by the 64*

I played the first round with my new SSFF C wedge yesterday. I used it in as many different situations, where it could possibly be appropriate, as I could imagine (including using it to retrieve a ball that dribbled into a water hazard). Everything from 4' chips just off the green to full swing approaches. It can be a very versatile club within 60-70 yards if you use some imagination.

I started getting a feel for how to make good contact with different swings but distance control will take a little longer.

When I got home yesterday I ordered the 58* S wedge and will probably go ahead and get the 64* L wedge this week as well. I like it.
The C has been a gem this year.

What's your miss look like? Contact issues? If so, I think this or the CBX4 would be a great option. The soles are all about mitigating heavy contact issues and the cavity back will help with your consistency across the face.

I love my cb mackdaddy 54/14 a lot. I would definitely try that style.
I just picked up a rtx full face 2 54/10 but the jury is still out on it. My home course is very hard during the summer which made me want to lean toward less bounce.

I'm not a huge fan of the C because I feel like it rolls out too much to be versatile. Ordered a L this week and will give it a try.

I had some spares from winter tinkering so I traded my 4.0 C for the Full Face C. The new satin finish and cavity make for a much more premium feel, although to my eye I still like Cleveland's black finish from previous lines better than both. The transition from the hosel to the Hydrazip face and full face grooves is a little odd at first but you get used to it.

I'm a little mixed on the feel changes. The feel is softer and more toward the CBX line, so it will blend a lot better with the CBX line and/or iron feels in that realm. The softer feel also feels better for treating it like a "lofted putter" around the greens. The tradeoff is there seems to be a little less crispness as you start to use it from farther away, so there is a little bit less of the "feels like a normal wedge" than the previous line IMO.

On the sim it's hitting similar numbers across the board as what I had seen on the 4.0. I did hit a shot from the rough that came out much softer than I expected based on the swing, so I think the Hydrazip is doing more work in that application.

Even though the new stock length is 35", I'm planning to play mine at more like 34" like I did the last model. When I have this in the bag I like to use it like a "utility wedge" from 40-120 more even than around the greens, and with the upright lie I hit it a lot better when it's shorter. If you're planning to take only putting style strokes with it, then I think the added length makes a lot of sense.

When I play solo this year I'm planning to take it out as a 15th club to see how often I pull it vs my 44* and 50* wedges and how it does stats wise in Shot Scope.

I have only played a couple rounds with my new SSFF C wedge (very happy with it!). We are getting some rare rain here in Arizona so I got into tinker mode and cut the shaft 1/2" to 34.5" and put on a Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Jumbo grip on it. Since I will be doing a lot (many?) shots with a putting stroke, that length and grip size will help make a putting stroke feel more natural with the C wedge, for me.

I also received my new SSFF S wedge yesterday and hope to get out with it after the rainy weather moves out later this weekend.

I suppose the odds are pretty good that I will go ahead and order the matching lob wedge sometime next week, because THP.

2 guys I play with every week have gotten the SS FF Lob because they were tired of me victimizing them with mine and wanted to equalize the arms race.

My son may even become a convert after he hit a horrendous double cross and was on the next tee, big tree between him and the green, bunker guarding the green from coming in low. I gave him the SS FF Lob and told him to hit it hard. He lofted it straight up over the tree he never would have gotten his 58* Raw RTX over, and came down behind the pin, spun back a few yards and left him 8 or 9 feet to save par. Next hole, a par 5, pin tucked right behind a nasty , deep bunker. I laid up to 54 yards (laser), hit my approach 15 yards past the pin into the well sloped green. Club and Srixon Z Star XV did their part and the ball came zipping back down the hill to 6'. Of course I 2 putted. LOL
This club saves enough strokes any club dropped to make room wont be terribly missed.

Back