Cleveland ZipCore XL Irons Review

Nice write-up!

I was hoping they shorten the blade a little as centering the ball on such a long blade was cumbersome and the reason I dropped them.

Also like the KBS Tour Lite weight being possibly inaccurate, the UST shaft weight is 56g on their website.
I think you transposed your weight on the Helium. 65g in Stiff, 63g Reg and 59g in Senior which also matches the UST site.

1705416421030.png

I think you transposed your weight on the Helium. 65g in Stiff, 63g Reg and 59g in Senior which also matches the UST site.

View attachment 9236698
😜Funny I just had these shafts and clubs in my hand a few hours ago. They really do look nice, I love the satin finish.

I'm such a Srixon/Cleveland stan that I'm considering getting a spare Zipcore 6 and 9 iron to use as practice mules. The design is close enough to my ZX5 and would save my set some wear and tear at the range......

You can order a 7-PW set of these. Dart 65 and Recoil 95's at no uncharge.

It's like they are talking to me.

One that’s on my radar even though I don’t need new irons. I like that they kept the offset at bay on these. Just bummed no one has demos around here yet. No wiods either. Only have seen the new wedges

You can order a 7-PW set of these. Dart 65 and Recoil 95's at no uncharge.

It's like they are talking to me.
Seem perfect to slot with the 6h for next season that you also should add.

You’re are damn right friend.
While I was looking at the new Cleveland wedges I saw these too. They look nice. All the Cleveland stuff does this year.

One that’s on my radar even though I don’t need new irons. I like that they kept the offset at bay on these. Just bummed no one has demos around here yet. No wiods either. Only have seen the new wedges
I gotta say, they really did a good job there. I thought the ZX4 were leading the way in the low-offset GI space, but these are even tighter. Slightly larger head and different feel obviously, but it’s such a great looking iron.

Anyone hit these yet ?

Question.... any idea if I tried to order these with a +1 length if it would still have the "Action Mass CB" at the handle? Any advantages/disadvantages to not having it in place?

Question.... any idea if I tried to order these with a +1 length if it would still have the "Action Mass CB" at the handle? Any advantages/disadvantages to not having it in place?
I can't say for sure, but in the past they've listed modifications like that on the website. I'm not seeing anything there or in my material.

As for advantages/disadvantages, it's going to make the head feel a bit lighter. All things told, I'd prefer my build without it.

@thrillbilly i was fitted last year and purchased Stealths with C Tapers. I love the irons but really thinking about trying these out. I game Cleveland wedges and putter now. Hope the shop has some different lower launching shafts to try.

Had a chance to see these tonight. Unfortunately did not have time to demo them.

Looks great and love the satin finish.
Size wise -- I read many a review that said these are smaller than the previous gen and more like the ZX5.
Yes and no.

I am a geek and try to measure as many heads per year to add to my database.

I measure from where the face meets the bend in the hosel on heel side to the outer toe edge, in the middle of the sole and where the lines are on the toe side from sole to top of the toe.

Last year's Launcher XL was:
Blade length: 3 1/4"***
Sole Width: 1"
Toe Height: 2 1/8"

Launcher ZipCore iron
Sole Width: 7/8"

So pretty much the same size other than having a slightly thinner sole width.

Also for comparison the ZX5 mkii is:
Blade: 3"
Sole: 7/8"
Toe: 2 1/8"

So same Sole width and toe height as the Zx5 mkii but a much longer blade by a 1/4".

Also for reference:
ZK4 mkii is
Blade: 3 1/16"
Sole 1"

*** - This 3 1/4" measurement is the longest blade length in my database so right now the Zipcore, Launcher XL, Halo Full Face, Halo, Cobra King OS 2017, Titleist T400, Tour Edge 220h and the Tour Edge C521 are the longest blades I have ever measured at that 3 1/4" length.

Not knocking them in any way, but if you don't like a long blade, then stay away from the Zipcores.

Some in hand pics

IMG_9636.jpegIMG_9635.jpegIMG_9634.jpegIMG_9626.jpegIMG_9625.jpegIMG_9623.jpegIMG_9622.jpegIMG_9621.jpeg

Had a chance to see these tonight. Unfortunately did not have time to demo them.

Looks great and love the satin finish.
Size wise -- I read many a review that said these are smaller than the previous gen and more like the ZX5.
Yes and no.

I am a geek and try to measure as many heads per year to add to my database.

I measure from where the face meets the bend in the hosel on heel side to the outer toe edge, in the middle of the sole and where the lines are on the toe side from sole to top of the toe.

Last year's Launcher XL was:
Sole Width: 1"

Launcher ZipCore iron
Sole Width: 7/8"

So pretty much the same size other than having a slightly thinner sole width.

Also for comparison the ZX5 mkii is:
Blade: 3"
Sole: 7/8"

So same Sole width and toe height as the Zx5 mkii but a much longer blade by a 1/4".

Also for reference:
ZK4 mkii is
Blade: 3 1/16"
Sole 1"

*** - This 3 1/4" measurement is the longest blade length in my database so right now the Zipcore, Launcher XL, Halo Full Face, Halo, Cobra King OS 2017, Titleist T400, Tour Edge 220h and the Tour Edge C521 are the longest blades I have ever measured at that 3 1/4" length.

Not knocking them in any way, but if you don't like a long blade, then stay away from the Zipcores.
I feel like anybody saying they were ZX5 sized may have not seen either the ZX5 or the Zip XL.

Great review. How would you compare launch and peak height with the ZX4s?

I'm pretty excited to see people start hitting these so we can talk about them more.

One thing I mentioned in the article is how different they feel than so many irons in this general segment. With so many going to hollow body builds, hitting a more traditional cavity is a pleasant experience. Really soft on the center. Heel is a little clacky, but that responsiveness helps me a lot when practicing.

Great review. How would you compare launch and peak height with the ZX4s?
Thanks!

They are pretty close. I was seeing a tick less launch and a bit more spin with these compared to the ZX4. Like a degree and a couple hundred rpms. That pretty much equalled out to the same general shot.

I think the biggest difference is going to be a slightly larger club head and the feel. I got really used to the crack the ZX4's had, so there was a bit of an adjustment there.

Back