Cleveland ZipCore XL Irons Review

A set of 2 Hy-woods, Zipcore XL irons 5-SW, and a Smart Sole Full Face wedge sounds really fun!

Cleveland Golf is unique among the major golf companies in that it has a couple very distinct identities in consumers’ minds. First, and probably most notable in terms of history, is their presence as a high-performance, Tour level wedge company. However, in recent years the company has also built a strong following as an “everyman’s” golf brand, offering a full line of clubs designed to make the game easier. These clubs, thanks to their performance and some clever marketing, have even found appeal with an increasingly young target audience, which is new territory for Cleveland. The 2024’s Launcher XL and Halo XL lines are a great example of this, both offering maximum forgiveness and playability at reasonable prices.

Continue reading...
How would you compare the ball speed and forgiveness to the Launcher XL(previous model)?

How would you compare the ball speed and forgiveness to the Launcher XL(previous model)?
Unfortunately I don’t have a chance to use those irons. They are pretty different though. The old version is a hollowbody, while these are a cavity with mainframe.

Zipcore XL 5 iron
IMG_1649.jpeg
IMG_1650.jpegIMG_1651.jpegIMG_1652.jpeg

Zipcore XL and Launcher XL

IMG_1653.jpegIMG_1654.jpegIMG_1656.jpeg

Zipcore XL and ZX5

IMG_1657.jpeg

Zipcore XL/ ZX4/ ZX5

IMG_1658.jpeg

Zipcore XL are good looking irons in person. A lot of different textures and finishes in the cavity like XXIO irons. Basically the same footprint as the Launcher XL irons. Zipcore XL does have a taller toe section on the blade. Also, has a more premium look. ZX4 and ZX5 irons are noticeably smaller.

Zipcore XL are good looking irons in person. A lot of different textures and finishes in the cavity like XXIO irons. Basically the same footprint as the Launcher XL irons. Zipcore XL does have a taller toe section on the blade. Also, has a more premium look. ZX4 and ZX5 irons are noticeably smaller.
I didn't see the higher toe on the new model. the way I measure I had them as the same height, but the Zipcore is definitely longer blade wide than the ZX4 and ZX5.
Hoping to hit it today after my sim round !!

Launcher XL was:
Blade length: 3 1/4"
Sole Width: 1"
Toe Height: 2 1/8"

Launcher ZipCore iron
Blade length: 3 1/4
Sole Width: 7/8"
Toe Height: 2 1/8"

ZX5 mkii is:
Blade: 3"
Sole: 7/8"
Toe: 2 1/8"

ZK4 mkii is
Blade: 3 1/16"
Sole 1"
Toe: 2 1/8"

The lower offset is really noticeable compared to the old Launcher.

Did you hit them, @Thrillbilly Jim?
No sir. I’m gonna schedule a full bag fitting (minus driver) for the end of the month or first of March. These are on my list to try for sure.

If you do get them be sure of your lie angle as that long blade can cause fits if it’s too flat.

Still think I would want a used set of ZX 4 mk ll over the Zipcore XL.

These look GREAT at address though the back has a lot going on (which if one can’t see it, who cares) hence the best at address.

Anyway tons of tech at a really attractive price point. These irons look like a winner for Cleveland. And when my golf resumes i will definitely give these a look.

No demos at the big box but they had a set for sale. It was longer heel to toe but not crazy long imho. They looked good enough to make we want to demo. Very clean fit and finish.

No demos at the big box but they had a set for sale. It was longer heel to toe but not crazy long imho. They looked good enough to make we want to demo. Very clean fit and finish.
Same feeling. I think you're going to notice a little more size compared to the players distance segment, but it's a really attractive shape for what it is. Low offset and a reasonable top line for the style too.

It's an interesting design in that I think they look longer heel/toe from the cavity side than the face/address angle.

Same feeling. I think you're going to notice a little more size compared to the players distance segment, but it's a really attractive shape for what it is. Low offset and a reasonable top line for the style too.

It's an interesting design in that I think they look longer heel/toe from the cavity side than the face/address angle.
I agree, and think it’s a bit of optics with the cavity and badge shaping that makes it look really long from the cavity side but less so at adress

I agree, and think it’s a bit of optics with the cavity and badge shaping that makes it look really long from the cavity side but less so at adress
When I was doing the initial photos I tried to figure out how that was happening. Eyes can play tricks on you.

I get mine tomorrow and I will compare them to my launcher xl irons and share a report.
Please do. Have had a few people bring it up and I'm not able to give more than a high level comparison.

I got to hit these today. They look sharp. They did not present too long or large behind the ball to my eye. They lacked a bit in the feel department but to be fair it was only a handful of swings. The swings felt deecnt but we all know the mat can hide a lot of things

I think there was a mixup in the shaft weight. I have the Cleveland brochure for these and they state the KBS Tour Lite is 110g but if you look on the KBS site the Reg is 95g, Stiff is 100g and the X stiff is 105g in taper tip which I think these have.

If they went with the parallel tip version those are 105g in Reg and stiff.

I know when I got my fitting last summer and was fit into the ZX5 irons it was with the Tour Lite in Reg and that shaft was 95g. I would have never been able to swing a 110g shaft.
I did more digging on this after hitting the Zipcore XL and Halo FF irons last night. After not getting along with 60g Helium shaft (kept pulling it), I put the stock KBS Tour lite in. The butt cap said 110g. If you look at the Helium shaft it's only offered in .370 tip. If you look at KBS specs for the Tour Lite the Parallel tip version is 105-110g...so its not the normal taper tip Tour Lite 95g that most companies offer.

I thought it felt sluggish for me. This bummed me out because I was fit into the Tour Lite 95g last summer. But the 110g variant is too heavy for me.
Any unless you pay an upcharge for something like the Steelfiber i70 Cleveland doesn't have any no charge graphite options in that 70-75g weight range that I prefer.

1708114058197.png

I did more digging on this after hitting the Zipcore XL and Halo FF irons last night. After not getting along with 60g Helium shaft (kept pulling it), I put the stock KBS Tour lite in. The butt cap said 110g. If you look at the Helium shaft it's only offered in .370 tip. If you look at KBS specs for the Tour Lite the Parallel tip version is 105-110g...so its not the normal taper tip Tour Lite 95g that most companies offer.

I thought it felt sluggish for me. This bummed me out because I was fit into the Tour Lite 95g last summer. But the 110g variant is too heavy for me.
Any unless you pay an upcharge for something like the Steelfiber i70 Cleveland doesn't have any no charge graphite options in that 70-75g weight range that I prefer.

View attachment 9243003
I'm seeing the DART 65 and 75 as no-upcharge options?

I'm seeing the DART 65 and 75 as no-upcharge options?
The reg flex Dart is 65g. Little light but I’ll try it next time. They don’t offer the reg in the 75 on Cleveland’s site. Only stiff flex.

The reg flex Dart is 65g. Little light but I’ll try it next time. They don’t offer the reg in the 75 on Cleveland’s site. Only stiff flex.
Worth talking to a dealer and seeing what they can make happen.

Back