Cleveland ZipCore XL Irons Review

These would look great on the Zipcore XL irons.

IMG_1757.jpeg

Looking forward to giving these a demo in May/June time frame.

I have the non halo launcher XL irons 2* flat, modus 125 shafts. Most forgiving iron I have hit. I find anything with a v sole plays much better off real turf than off sim mats.

Welp...I was gonna ordet a set of ZX5 MkII's but I figured I love my 223's so we'll keep those, add some forgiveness and see how this plays out. Cleveland says Mar 8 for the ship date...

Last edited:
Not a lot of YouTube reviews but Crossfield and Embers (?) had some data and the irons are bombers.

@Hawk had some data too 😀

That was actually the primary info that helped me decide... But I was wanting to see some "action" :LOL:. I am extremely interested in seeing these with the Tour BX's.

Welp...I was gonna ordet a set of ZX5 MkII's but I figured I love my 223's so we'll keep those, add some forgiveness and see how this plays out. Cleveland says Mar 8 for the ship date...
Fun. I think you'll enjoy them. Let us know how it goes.

Fun. I think you'll enjoy them. Let us know how it goes.

In addition to throwing them at the new Tour BX, I am going to really be watching my spin and height. I've only recently been able to get the ball up over 90ft somewhat consistently and I am wondering if I'll need a ball that helps with that as well.

In addition to throwing them at the new Tour BX, I am going to really be watching my spin and height. I've only recently been able to get the ball up over 90ft somewhat consistently and I am wondering if I'll need a ball that helps with that as well.
I've read some positive thoughts about the XS too - @MtlJeff seemed to like what he saw from it. Trusty old V1x is worth a shot too in my experience.

I've read some positive thoughts about the XS too - @MtlJeff seemed to like what he saw from it. Trusty old V1x is worth a shot too in my experience.

another thing i'm thinking about is how the distance gapping is gonna work out. the two youtube reviews had a good 10-15yd gain per club. that would change a lot in my bag.

edit: my initial thought is i won't be using the 6i (which i don't use much anyway) since the 7i will (read: should) put me into my current 6i yardage

Last edited:

@chile ---I feel that the B-XS feels very nice for an X ball. Probably the best feeling X ball i've tested---and i have hit it pretty consistent with what i have seen from other similar balls. Truthfully the biggest takeaway for me was how different it felt from a typical X

I am a notorious low ball hitter, the biggest real difference i saw in testing was the CTx with long clubs. Especially 3 wood and driving iron. Noticeable improvement in launch and spin conditions (which for me is higher launch and slightly more spin)

Are the Zipcore XLs bendable? I’d like them a degree weak as I’m a low ball hitter…

Are the Zipcore XLs bendable? I’d like them a degree weak as I’m a low ball hitter…
They are. Cleveland also has the Launcher Max which is a couple of degrees weaker lofted.

@chile ---I feel that the B-XS feels very nice for an X ball. Probably the best feeling X ball i've tested---and i have hit it pretty consistent with what i have seen from other similar balls. Truthfully the biggest takeaway for me was how different it felt from a typical X

I am a notorious low ball hitter, the biggest real difference i saw in testing was the CTx with long clubs. Especially 3 wood and driving iron. Noticeable improvement in launch and spin conditions (which for me is higher launch and slightly more spin)

i will see how it goes with BX (i have last year's and this year's)...i do have a couple of boxes of last year's BXS so we'll see how that goes as well.

It's funny how perspective plays such a big part in our perception of things like size, feel, etc.

Coming from the ZX4's, I felt like these were slightly larger, but it wasn't anything extreme. I'm coming back to them while the Dynapower Forged are in the shop and they just seem huge lol. Not in a bad way mind you. Just a very noticeable size difference between the irons. It feels like you have endless real estate to utilize at impact, which is a good thing for many of us.

I still appreciate the lack of offset and the reasonable top line. Feel is quite good too, even coming from what I'd consider a better feeling iron.

And so it begins...these look really good. Can't wait to get them out on the course.

20240307_173114.jpg

20240307_172005.jpg

20240307_171957.jpg

20240307_172008.jpg

20240307_172044.jpg

I had a chance to hit the 7i today on the outdoor range.

Looks wise. I dug it. Long blade length, topline was ok, offset was in a nice range. Very confidence inspiring behind the ball. I tried the KBS Max 65 shaft and wasn’t a fan of it. Felt like I couldn’t locate the head. Led to a lot of pull hooks. When I did time the shaft it was a nice high draw flight. Would like to try it again with a different shaft.

Sound / feel was ok but was hitting side by side with a 923 HM HL and preferred the mizuno.

Man those look SO GOOD.

They do. I know they're a little long but it's not off putting. I'd really like to see Cleveland put this same iron out in a similar footprint to the ZX5 dimension wise but I know know they won't. And these lofts are gonna play hell with my gapping... Still gonna be fun, tho.

I had a chance to hit the 7i today on the outdoor range.

Looks wise. I dug it. Long blade length, topline was ok, offset was in a nice range. Very confidence inspiring behind the ball. I tried the KBS Max 65 shaft and wasn’t a fan of it. Felt like I couldn’t locate the head. Led to a lot of pull hooks. When I did time the shaft it was a nice high draw flight. Would like to try it again with a different shaft.

Sound / feel was ok but was hitting side by side with a 923 HM HL and preferred the mizuno.
I don't know how anyone can hit a 65 gram graphite with any control. 🤷

I don't know how anyone can hit a 65 gram graphite with any control. 🤷
I only swing around 70 mph with my 7i. 72 if i really try and step on it.

They do. I know they're a little long but it's not off putting. I'd really like to see Cleveland put this same iron out in a similar footprint to the ZX5 dimension wise but I know know they won't. And these lofts are gonna play hell with my gapping... Still gonna be fun, tho.
Yea, I think you're probably right that this will be the lower end of iron size for Cleveland. Still, the lack of offset and shaping are really attractive for the type of iron they are. Might need to go shopping for a new gap wedge it sounds like.

Back