Cleveland ZipCore XL Irons Review

That makes sense to me. What wedges are you pairing with this setup?
for now, it will be the current set up in the signature... I'll update wedges this summer, if not before... Will stick with the CBX line. I have thought about trying the RTX's again but the CBX line is where my comfort is at.

I'll keep saying this... These are fantastic irons.
They really are. Been a big hit around here so far this year and the wife's order is officially in and she's pumped. Added a Hy-wood to it too.

They really are. Been a big hit around here so far this year and the wife's order is officially in and she's pumped. Added a Hy-wood to it too.

For a cast iron, I am really happy with the feel. The added distance and forgiveness really helps in getting you back on track. I was really surprised with the distances I was getting out of less than ideal spots today.

I am looking at a Hy-wood as well. I've been throwing around grabbing a Darkspeed or LTDx Max to tinker with.

I appreciate your keeping us update @chile

Agree with you 100%. When you factor in price, it's a must-try set if you're looking at this type of iron.

Did a session with the CSX TruTracks... I think it went well

Screenshot_20240320_164901.jpg

Screenshot_20240320_165132.jpg

Screenshot_20240320_165250.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_164901.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_164901.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1
I wonder how these compare to the Srixon ZX 4 mk ll other than aesthetics and the forged face?

I wonder how these compare to the Srixon ZX 4 mk ll other than aesthetics and the forged face?
I think I mentioned it elsewhere or in the review. Almost equal overall performance. A bit more spin and a bit less launch for me (a very small difference). Similar speeds. Nothing different in terms of forgiveness that I could quantify with my humanness.

Size/shape is a bit more compact and squared off with the 4's.

4's have that hollow body crack to them, even if it's slight compared to some other similar irons. Zips were a little softer/duller.

I had my first 18 rounds with my Cleveland Smart Sole Full Face C chipper, S sand wedge, L lob wedge and Cleveland Zipcore XL 7-GW (GW+2*) irons today. The Zipcore XL irons were an incredible experience! Distance, launch, forgiveness and feel were beyond my expectations. I am still dealing with the strong lofts and gaps, but it is all coming together. Incredible irons!

My friend got fit into these over other brands. I will get to try them when the courses opens up.

I saw a set of Zipcore XL irons in a local golf shop, and after talking with the owner about them, I decided to try out their demo set during our league event on Saturday. They were absolutely fantastic!! I’m not sure if it’s the head technology or the counterweight, but they felt soooo smooth. Toe hits were no issue at all. It felt effortless to hit the ball, which is something I’m not used to! They definitely launch higher than my last iron set, which will take getting used to. Zipcore XLs will flow down to my current CBX4 wedges nicely.

tl;dr - Tried Zipcore XL irons, loved them, and I am buying a set.

It would be interesting to hit these against last years non halo launcher XLs which are slightly bigger and have more moi.

It would be interesting to hit these against last years non halo launcher XLs which are slightly bigger and have more moi.
I've owned last year's set and going to hit these today. Stay tuned.

I currently have the ZX 4 mkll but what wasn't mentioned was these come stock about a 1/2" longer than the ZX 4. They also come 1 degree more upright than the ZX 4 which both differences would work well for me. Also the SW is 2 points heavier which at C-9 on the ZX 4 you can loose where the head is in your swing.

There is no up-charge for Recoil Darts but I'm curious about the lower torque and higher launch Helium.

The hollow body ZX 4 feels good but I'm not over joyed with the feel.

I'm really curious how the cavity back feels and I sometimes think inserts feel better than forged face.

I've owned last year's set and going to hit these today. Stay tuned.

I currently have the ZX 4 mkll but what wasn't mentioned was these come stock about a 1/2" longer than the ZX 4. They also come 1 degree more upright than the ZX 4 which both differences would work well for me. Also the SW is 2 points heavier which at C-9 on the ZX 4 you can loose where the head is in your swing.

There is no up-charge for Recoil Darts but I'm curious about the lower torque and higher launch Helium.

The hollow body ZX 4 feels good but I'm not over joyed with the feel.

I'm really curious how the cavity back feels and I sometimes think inserts feel better than forged face.
I went with the launcher XLs over the zx4 last year because they were more consistent distance wise and a better value. Would like to try the zipcores though.

I saw a set of Zipcore XL irons in a local golf shop, and after talking with the owner about them, I decided to try out their demo set during our league event on Saturday. They were absolutely fantastic!! I’m not sure if it’s the head technology or the counterweight, but they felt soooo smooth. Toe hits were no issue at all. It felt effortless to hit the ball, which is something I’m not used to! They definitely launch higher than my last iron set, which will take getting used to. Zipcore XLs will flow down to my current CBX4 wedges nicely.

tl;dr - Tried Zipcore XL irons, loved them, and I am buying a set.
Did you get steel or graphite?

I noticed on the website it says the KBS Tour Lite is 110g which I think is a mistake and the regular flex is 95g. The picture when you go to order stock steel says 95g on the shaft.

KBS didn't make a Tour Lite 110g in regular flex.

I noticed on the website it says the KBS Tour Lite is 110g which I think is a mistake and the regular flex is 95g. The picture when you go to order stock steel says 95g on the shaft.

Graphite (Helium Nanocore).

How you liking that shaft? I really want to compare it to my Recoil Dart.
A bit lighter than Recoils (Dart or ESX 460) and definitely higher launch. Very much liking them so far.

I noticed this a while back. Could it be that Cleveland uses a parallel tip which in that case the Tour Lite is actually 105g in Reg flex? Taper tip is 95g
@Hawk or @JB - any chance you guys could measure the shaft to see if its parallel vs taper?
1712239262600.png

Last edited:
I noticed this a while back. Could it be that Cleveland uses a parallel tip which in that case the Tour Lite is actually 105g in Reg flex? Taper tip is 95g
@Hawk or @JB - any chance you guys could measure the shaft to see if its parallel vs taper?
View attachment 9254120
It's a 15g typo.
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.33.57 PM.png

Could it be that Srixon uses the taper tip and Cleveland a parallel? Even on the demo shaft when I tried the reg flex in the Halos and Zipcores it said on the butt cap "Tour Lite 110g"
Well KBS doesn't make a 110g Tour Lite so even if the Zipcores were parallel wouldn't it say 105g? The idea that they put stock 110g shafts in Halos which are supposed to be for slower swingers is mind-boggling. There is a Cleveland/Srixon fitting van coming to my club tomorrow I will swing by and see what's up.
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 3.27.23 PM.png

View attachment 9254120
Shaft is installed. Is that going to be useful to you?

Shaft is installed. Is that going to be useful to you?
yeah I would think if measured with calipers just above the ferrule that would tell us if its .370 (parallel) or smaller (Taper). I mainly just want to put the question to rest as I questioned it when the irons first came out this year and now its popping back up again here in this thread. I know for me 95g is starting to get a little heavy for me. Anything over 95g and its a non-starter for me. I once was able to play Modus 105R's but now its not in the cards for me as I am getting up there in age :)

Or maybe even better yet actually if someone has the 6i with the Tour Lite shaft in it and could measure the total weight of the club, I could back into shaft weight as i know what the 6i head weighs and if I knew the grip type could back that off resulting in the weight of the shaft.

yeah I would think if measured with calipers just above the ferrule that would tell us if its .370 (parallel) or smaller (Taper). I mainly just want to put the question to rest as I questioned it when the irons first came out this year and now its popping back up again here in this thread. I know for me 95g is starting to get a little heavy for me. Anything over 95g and its a non-starter for me. I once was able to play Modus 105R's but now its not in the cards for me as I am getting up there in age :)

Or maybe even better yet actually if someone has the 6i with the Tour Lite shaft in it and could measure the total weight of the club, I could back into shaft weight as i know what the 6i head weighs and if I knew the grip type could back that off resulting in the weight of the shaft.
I'll try to make it happen today. I can't help with the 6 iron.

Back