Cleveland ZipCore XL Irons Review

I had a chance to hit the 7i today on the outdoor range.

Looks wise. I dug it. Long blade length, topline was ok, offset was in a nice range. Very confidence inspiring behind the ball. I tried the KBS Max 65 shaft and wasn’t a fan of it. Felt like I couldn’t locate the head. Led to a lot of pull hooks. When I did time the shaft it was a nice high draw flight. Would like to try it again with a different shaft.

Sound / feel was ok but was hitting side by side with a 923 HM HL and preferred the mizuno.
I can relate on the feel aspect. Do have others I prefer, mostly based on personal preference, but definitely solid. In a world that seems to be dominated by hollow body irons I did appreciate what they offered.

They do. I know they're a little long but it's not off putting. I'd really like to see Cleveland put this same iron out in a similar footprint to the ZX5 dimension wise but I know know they won't. And these lofts are gonna play hell with my gapping... Still gonna be fun, tho.
I'd be interested to see them side by side with the Launcher CBXs I have in the bag right now.

I'd be interested to see them side by side with the Launcher CBXs I have in the bag right now.

I have the CBX 6i that I got awhile after they came out. I'll get a Pic later.

Got these on the sim today... Wow. Didn't hit every 7i this well but jeez, these are easy to get up in the air. Not sure why that says 6i, tho.

20240308_131414.jpg

I have moderate swing speed. I play modus 125s in my non halo launcher xls. Nice combination.

I have the CBX 6i that I got awhile after they came out. I'll get a Pic later.
I had the cbx irons and they are good. However Cleveland has made many improvements since IMO.

Wowzers. Those are some numbers.

I wasn't ready for that. The pin was 179 :oops:... After some other swings, the 8i was still too long and it turned out that the 9i was juuust right. Now to figure out how this translates on the course.

And they get up... I was getting 115 peak height on some shots with the 7... I usually struggle to get 100 and over but I was consistently above 100.

These are on my list to definitely try in 2 weeks

These are on my list to definitely try in 2 weeks

I think you'll enjoy how easy they are. I did the face impact chingadera on the Trackman and I was RARELY close to center strikes but they all flew. Those same shots on my 223's would immediately let me know I ****** up.

Did anyone get the UST Helium shaft and does it play softer, stiffer or neutral?

I had last year model and they were fantastic irons except for the mid launch Project X Catalysis shafts I put in them which were to low-mid launch for this sweeper and holding greens was an issue.

Definitely in my top 2 to buy in 2024. Thanks.

Did anyone get the UST Helium shaft and does it play softer, stiffer or neutral?

I had last year model and they were fantastic irons except for the mid launch Project X Catalysis shafts I put in them which were to low-mid launch for this sweeper and holding greens was an issue.

Sorry to say I can't help with the shafts.

Do you know if you're launching the ball low, spinning it low, or maybe a little of both? Shaft may or may not help enough. A couple other options to explore are bending lofts and/or ball.

Interested in this as well…

L
Sorry to say I can't help with the shafts.

Do you know if you're launching the ball low, spinning it low, or maybe a little of both? Shaft may or may not help enough. A couple other options to explore are bending lofts and/or ball.
As a sweeper I would need a true high launch shaft as the UST Helium advertises especially with the modern strong lofts.

I'm going to hit them in an hour and see what I get.

Just got off a quick range session and I got to say these performed exactly as they did on track man... ball flight is where I want it and they are forgiving and long

L

As a sweeper I would need a true high launch shaft as the UST Helium advertises especially with the modern strong lofts.

I'm going to hit them in an hour and see what I get.
How did you like the Helium? Did it help with launch?

How did you like the Helium? Did it help with launch?
I actually scored a mint set of Srixon ZX 4 mk ll with the DART F3 shaft today and never even made it to the Clevelands.

The DARTS F3 was giving me 16-18 launch and 5100 spin with a 80-85 swing speed on a 7 iron. It's considered a mid launch shaft but as you know AOA plays a part in launch also.

I did feel the flex on the Helium and it felt like it had a low kick point which would be indicative of a high launching shaft.

You would really need to try both to see what fits you best.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help but good luck.

Put in a quick 9 with these and the Mindset tour BX's... Didnt play play particularly well. Inconsistent with the driver but irons were okay. Had a 191yd 7i, 175yd 8i and a 163yd 9i so they're close to what I was playing on Trackman...

1000060929.jpg

Took a bit but the wife has made her choice for 2024 and she's going Cleveland!

She can smoke the Helium 60F3 but going to go F2 and take a half inch off.

View attachment 9248701

Took a bit but the wife has made her choice for 2024 and she's going Cleveland!

She can smoke the Helium 60F3 but going to go F2 and take a half inch off.

They are so fun to swing... Because I'm an interwebz golfer, I struggle to say my "7i" goes 190 yards now... I'll probably just refer to them by their lofts from now on.

It looks like I'll be grabbing the set GW, rather than the 6i, since that's where the gap will be...

It looks like I'll be grabbing the set GW, rather than the 6i, since that's where the gap will be...
That makes sense to me. What wedges are you pairing with this setup?

I wasn't ready for that. The pin was 179 :oops:... After some other swings, the 8i was still too long and it turned out that the 9i was juuust right. Now to figure out how this translates on the course.

And they get up... I was getting 115 peak height on some shots with the 7... I usually struggle to get 100 and over but I was consistently above 100.
That was why I fired my UHX irons. Too long, really hot shots. Too much Y axis dispersion. CB short irons were OK, but the hollow 4-7 were all over the place.

Last edited:
Back