Closest You Have Been to an Ace?

8 inches.... par 3s are tough!

09A34EF8-63E1-419F-97AF-C3E6A05E3C5B.jpeg

Closest I've ever come, yet this has only happened once. Didn't hit the pin, just cozied up close.

I had one roll directly at the hole straight on and come up about 1 revolution short. At least they gave me the birdie putt!

A rotation of the ball at True Blue hole 3 with @Scarnici

A little less than 4 feet. A 7 wood nice and low with a slight left to right. It landed short and rolled right up close to the pin. It was in league play too which was a nice bonus.

I had one that landed just short of the green with a front pin. It bounced and rolled up and hit the center of the pin and bounced back one inch from the hole. I've had 5-6 that had to of rolled right by the edge and another 20 or so that have been within two feet, many of which were just a few inches.

That was a hell of a shot. I’m pretty sure I conceded that hole from the tee box lol

If it wasn't for the first 4 par 3's I'm pretty sure I would have been closed out by 12.

This was way back, but I was playing as a single and caught up with a 4some on a 170 yard par 3. They were just getting to the green when I got to the tee box, so they waived for me to play through. I hit a nice high fade with a 6 iron that landed about 6 feet short of the hole, released and rolled right up to the cup. The guys in the 4some started yelling and I thought was about to make my first HIO, until I heard the collective groan from those guys. Got to the green and the ball was sitting on the edge of the cup. I doubt it would have taken a quarter of a roll to fall in. Unfortunately, it was uphill, so no chance that it might roll on in. Haven't been that close since. 😕

I caved in the side of a cup once and have had a couple roll within a few inches of the edge. I have never even witnessed one from a playing partner.

I lipped out a driver that had some backspin on a par 4 once. Hit left of the pin, spun back a touch (as I do), and finished on the opposite side of the hole as it's divot (which would mean it had to have lipped).

287 yards.
Stupid eagle.

Hit the stick on the fly recently. I have also hit it to a couple feet several times

I've witnessed 2 hole-in-ones. Once was with my playing partner late last fall. 140 yrd par 3 he hit 10' over the flag and drew the ball back in the hole. It was a sweet shot. Another was a group in front of us. It was a 190 yd par 3, all down hill about 80' of drop. Some lady chunked it down the fairway and it rolled 30 yards the rest of the way down and in the hole. Her husband/SO looked a little sick.

I lipped out a driver that had some backspin on a par 4 once. Hit left of the pin, spun back a touch (as I do), and finished on the opposite side of the hole as it's divot (which would mean it had to have lipped).

287 yards.
Stupid eagle.
Only time in your life you'll disparage an Eagle. But I don't blame you.

I say the closest I've come was holing out from a drop area for par. Closest I've come on an actual first shot was about 5 feet.

Once the ball hit a bank beyond the green, bounced back, and rolled straight toward the hole. It stopped about six inches short. The catch was that this was in a charity tournament, and if it had gone in, I would have won a car.

Many years ago, Par 3, about 135, hit a 9I. Looked great the whole way, hit on the green and lost it. Pitch mark was about 2' short of the cup directly online with the flag, ball was sitting on the same line 3" past the hole....

Not sure how it didn't go in, but tap in birdie isn't the worst thing.

Many years ago, Par 3, about 135, hit a 9I. Looked great the whole way, hit on the green and lost it. Pitch mark was about 2' short of the cup directly online with the flag, ball was sitting on the same line 3" past the hole....

Not sure how it didn't go in, but tap in birdie isn't the worst thing.

It was the green worms that did it. They're really nasty guys.

I have hit the flag stick on a few occassions and gone right over the hole, but I guess the closest I have had the ball stop to the hole was probably about 6-8 inches.

Nearest for me is a mid iron for Eagle on a Par 4. Hit the flagstick and dropped in...

A

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

View attachment 9054126

Just happened today. Par 3 145 yards slightly downhill.
I saw it land and thought it was in. It’s probably for the best since I was playing by myself and would like my first HIO to be witnessed

OMG how does that not go wow!

Don't know how I don't still have a picture of it, but about a foot away. Was with @GoldenBuff at the time too. That would have been a good time to get a first one!

I have and I haven't.

Have two on a par three course, but none on a full course. In decades of trying.
My ex-son-in-law,
who still can't beat me despite my age,
has one and I don't.

One double eagle on a par 5, though, so that's my closest.

Back