Club Test - Tampa Bay Area THPers Wanted

There is party like a THP party with fresh new gear!!!

Great to see everyone out enjoying a round together!

Fusion driver and and 3w are both really straight clubs. Did not miss a fairway with either.
I may be in the market for a couple new sticks.

So I had a bad round, the only thing keeping me from shooting 110 was the fusion 3w and my wedge game, has about 8 gimmie's from my wedges. But I got to golf with THPers so I'm happy regardless of how I played

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

404ddb1f9cd45d5d14faaa87845d01f4.jpg

Ok here is my feedback. Fusion driver was very easy to hit high, far, and straight.

Fusion fairway wood was the same. Just automatic and easy to get the ball in the air.

The 565s where smooth and forgiving. Similar to what I play now but maybe a tad longer.

The big Bertha os irons were a big surprise for me. The first five shots with the pw were all within 10 ft and the same boring trajectory. Stupid easy to hit.

The unnamed irons were real lookers and performed well.

The rtx-3 wedges were interesting with the graphite shafts. I could feel the head throughout the swing.

Now for the balls. We got Srixon Qstar with the spin skin. Long and straight off the driver which I expected. I wasn't expecting anything crazy around the greens but came away pleasantly surprised. I was able to get a surprising amount of check on chips and pitches and it felt decent off the putter face as well. I will be playing these as a cheaper alternative to the chrome soft on occasion.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok here is my feedback. Fusion driver was very easy to hit high, far, and straight.

Fusion fairway wood was the same. Just automatic and easy to get the ball in the air.

The 565s where smooth and forgiving. Similar to what I play now but maybe a tad longer.

The big Bertha os irons were a big surprise for me. The first five shots with the pw were all within 10 ft and the same boring trajectory. Stupid easy to hit.

The unnamed irons were real lookers and performed well.

The rx-3 wedges were interesting with the graphite shafts. I could feel the head throughout the swing.

Now for the balls. We got Srixon Qstar with the spin skin. Long and straight off the driver which I expected. I wasn't expecting anything crazy around the greens but came away pleasantly surprised. I was able to get a surprising amount of check on chips and pitches and it felt decent off the putter face as well. I will be playing these as a cheaper alternative to the chrome soft on occasion.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Forgot about the 565 irons. Only swung them on the range. Forgot to grab some swings while in the course, do to not producing any good settings on the front 9.
The swings on the range were really good. Easy to hit, but then again I have the 54ý in my bag, so I knew that I would like them.
Surprise of the day was the ball. Those Srixon balls played great. Plenty of stopping power within our group. Ball felt good if all the clubs in the bag. Definitely some that I would game again.

Good to hear additional feedback on the 565!

Great day, pretty tough course and played about how I would expect from that distance shot a cool 90. Really enjoyed our group just a great bunch of guys.

Loved the 565, on the range I hit the 9 iron nearly as far as my 7 Ben Hogan (within 5 yards) the Miyasaki shafts felt great. They look great and since the sole is similar to what I am used to these could get a serious look in the future. I was thinking of a combo set of 965 /765 but the smart money would be 765 /565 or just 565 all the way (the most sensible, but I have never been sensible when it comes to clubs)

I hit the Big Bertha 7 and it was just easy to hit, not surprising since that is what is designed for it was a bit longer than my 7 iron on a couple of swings.

The Fusion Driver is fun, looks good at address and went straight time after time. I tried the Fusion 3 wood and got about the same results I have been getting with my XR 3 wood, not very good but that is my flippy, casting swing of late and no club can cure that. DW hit it past my Driver with ease.

For me the 19 deg Steelhead Hybrid was a no go, just felt bad to me and the results were as all Hybrids are for me low and left. Again this is a swing thing and somewhat mental as I expect to hit Hybrids bad.

The mystery irons will remain a mystery until JB gives the AOK to talk about them. I played the Srixon ball on a couple of holes and killed a Drive with one, I can't say how they feel off the irons because I refused to hit an iron well today except for one Par 3 and that was a fluke evidently. It felt quite soft off my Putter, quite a bit so compared to my gamer B330. I am going to try them again tomorrow in my regular group where I am not trying to kill everything and see how it plays.

Thanks JB & Mward for setting this up, always a treat to get together with THPer's and getting to see and hit some new clubs off grass is just fantastic.

Jim- the 565 was two clubs longer than your ptx?!

Following along. Love the initial thoughts guys. Good info here

Yep, I was impressed. Now back when I had the J15DF I pulled a 9 for 150 yds all the time so it is not impossible. But not with the power robbing funk I have been in (and I saw it a lot today with 6 irons). I have always been a pretty good iron player and the up to about a 6 maybe 5 iron the distances were very good, then it fell right off with the longer clubs. Now with the bad shoulders and the damn casting /flipping I get crapple unless I am really concentrating. I of course blame the shafts, but we all know that is not it.

But the 565 9 iron with that shaft was just like an old friend. Dammit I am talking myself into a trip to the PGA SS.....or Srixons website

Jim- the 565 was two clubs longer than your ptx?!

Last edited:
Anybody take some swipes with the Big Bertha OS irons?

No 917 out today? I thought you had pics of it in hand the other day JB. I could be mistaken.

Yes, very easy to hit and distance a bit longer than the PTx for me in the same club. Seemed to swing itself if you know what I mean.

Yep, I was impressed.
...... the 565 9 iron with that shaft was just like an old friend. Dammit I am talking myself into a trip to the PGA SS.....or Srixons website

Jim, now you have me wondering how the 565 would compare heads up with the new Steelhead. I thought I had my mind made up and just had to compare shafts on the Steelhead. LOL I doubt I'll be able to find the Z to demo in P-cola, however.

Stupid easy to hit. Just hit a few on the range this morning and it was so easy to get the ball up. I didn't gauge any yardage, just seeing them before we started our round.

Sounds like everyone had a blast. Hate I couldnt make it.

Love all the feedback here. Sounds like you all had a great time. Great comments on the new Callaway gear too. More excited for December!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I will have some feedback on these coming up tomorrow. Quite a few took some swings with them.

I have not even seen a Steelhead yet in person so I can't offer any comment on them, but I think you would be sad if you did not hit the 565 with the stock graphite (if that is what we hit today) it is a near perfect looking club size wise for the forgiveness it offers. I do not normally get along with a GI type iron (I hate to put a label on it) and from the few swings taken I could get along with this one.

I played the 545 for a month or so when they came out and quickly went on to the 745, I think I could live with these as is.

Jim, now you have me wondering how the 565 would compare heads up with the new Steelhead. I thought I had my mind made up and just had to compare shafts on the Steelhead. LOL I doubt I'll be able to find the Z to demo in P-cola, however.

I have not even seen a Steelhead yet in person so I can't offer any comment on them, but I think you would be sad if you did not hit the 565 with the stock graphite (if that is what we hit today) it is a near perfect looking club size wise for the forgiveness it offers. I do not normally get along with a GI type iron (I hate to put a label on it) and from the few swings taken I could get along with this one.

I played the 545 for a month or so when they came out and quickly went on to the 745, I think I could live with these as is.

when I saw the 545s for the first time, they looked huge to me. 745 were more to my eye. but I have softened to size and embraced forgiveness, so I would be willing to look at these.

I wanted to say Thanks to JB for setting this up today. And Thank Mward for getting the tee time setup for us today.
I really enjoyed myself today. I hope to have other opportunities to participate in gathers like this. Always a great time.

I had a small medical emergency and didn't arrive in time for the range session. But I had a great time playing with THPers. Was a nice course, beautiful day and great guys. Thanks JB and Mward

So glad you were able to make it and glad you had fun.

Back