Coach "strikes" Basketball Player

Bridges

Reaction score
Handicap
Just saw this on espn. Interesting...

It appears the video has been blocked on the one I had posted.

Here is the link to espn to watch it (same video, just have to go through espn)
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6154653

Its not so much of a strike as it is lowering his shoulder into him. The interview part is very awkward when the kid talks.

Last edited:
LOL - accident my a$$! And if was just an accident, you would not be discussing on a television interview. He did not beat the kid....just merely crossed a line under "today's" standards.

very odd - the demonstration doesn't bother me so much - The kicking part when the kid is on the ground is def. wrong. The kid appears to flop to the ground on contact when he got hit. Not sure what the whole drill was trying to accomplish, but the contact prior to the kid falling wasn't HORRIBLE - maybe over the top....... The kids response screams $ too.

The coach does come across as somewhat of a bully. You can't bully high school student athletes (or physically harm or intimidate them obviously). At the same time, it doesn't excuse the kid from over-acting in order to cash in or get back at the coach. Odd dynamic.

ghsace - FYI unless I misunderstood I believe this is at a division II college.

Our gym teachers did more damage with a dodge-ball than that

My fault, I put High School basketball in the OP(fixed). It is at a college.

ghsace - FYI unless I misunderstood I believe this is at a division II college.

Thanks for the heads up - had the sound on low didn't hear where it was from. Doesn't really change my stance though.

All of the below is in jest. No disrespecct intended towards anyone.

Gosh darn religious schools.

Did he push him down or was it 'charging'?

I heard a radio dj last week say something to the effect, "I'm a former Catholic, I can take the pain".

That kid's a wuss and needs to find another "non-contact" sport".

The coach is done......for 2-3 years. Assuming this his is first "strike", he'll get another gig. I do find it odd that the coach never explained what was going on, "it was an accident". I guess, when you're about to get sued, that it sounds better than "I snapped. I went psycho for 2 seconds.". And, "My bad, dawg" doesn't sound remorseful.

Not cool. I would have had a tough time not punching that coach back if I was the player. There is no doubt that was intentional, especially when the coach kicks the kid while he is down.

Not cool. I would have had a tough time not punching that coach back if I was the player. There is no doubt that was intentional, especially when the coach kicks the kid while he is down.

its hardly kick, he pretends he is going to kick him and complety stops and maybe nudges him with his foot it he contacts him at all

its hardly kick, he pretends he is going to kick him and complety stops and maybe nudges him with his foot it he contacts him at all

It looked to me like more of a push with his foot, rather than a kick, kind of like "get you a$$ off the ground you kitty cat".

I am not saying the kick was to cause injury, but that is way over the for a coach. He just bloodied the kid up, then while he is down mock kicks him in the butt? You think thats good coaching or morally ok? I played college ball, and I have never seen anything like this.

I dont have a problem with the little kick, its the lowering of the shoulder into the kids face. He just barely turned only to see a shoulder coming at his face. I think he might have added some extra acting in the fall but when you take a shoulder to the face and not knowing its coming is enough to knock you are your butt.

I dont have a problem with the little kick, its the lowering of the shoulder into the kids face. He just barely turned only to see a shoulder coming at his face. I think he might have added some extra acting in the fall but when you take a shoulder to the face and not knowing its coming is enough to knock you are your butt.

I doubt he acted, since the kid was bleeding.

I haved coached youth basketball and I see it as a drill but I think the coach went overboard with the kicking action.

ok, your right.

They were doing a block out drill, guess he didnt block out right, so he got knocked out by the coach.

Lol! The school of hard knocks! Literally!

ok, your right.

They were doing a block out drill, guess he didnt block out right, so he got knocked out by the coach.

I have seen other sites stories on this, and some were saying the kid is kind of a punk. Who knows? I'm sure the coach didn't mean to bloody the kids face, but was probably trying to show how to aggressively double team, and it got a bit out of hand. But why kick him while he is down and bleeding? That is what would have upset me. I mean if that was a game situation and a player did that to another player, he probably gets thrown out of the game. So it is hardly sound defense this coach was teaching.

coach just resigned.

Wow. This is at a college not far away from me, where a coulple of my friends actually studied.

That is just crazy stuff.

supposedly the coach has had anger issues in the past as well....oops
Assuming this his is first "strike", he'll get another gig. I do find it odd that the coach never explained what was going on, "it was an accident". I guess, when you're about to get sued, that it sounds better than "I snapped. I went psycho for 2 seconds.". And, "My bad, dawg" doesn't sound remorseful.

the kick was the worst thing...the kid is down....why was that needed?

the kid's parents filed a police report and a civil suit is on the way....that says a lot about the kid and his parents
I have seen other sites stories on this, and some were saying the kid is kind of a punk. Who knows? I'm sure the coach didn't mean to bloody the kids face, but was probably trying to show how to aggressively double team, and it got a bit out of hand. But why kick him while he is down and bleeding? That is what would have upset me. I mean if that was a game situation and a player did that to another player, he probably gets thrown out of the game. So it is hardly sound defense this coach was teaching.

the kick was the worst thing...the kid is down....why was that needed?

I didn't mean it as it's ok to kick him, just thought it wasn't as bad as the blind sided shoulder to the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah but that's like saying a stab wound isn't as bad as a gun shot wound....both still suck and hurt
I didn't mean it as it's ok to kick him, just thought it wasn't as bad as the blind sided shoulder to the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back