Cobra Golf Fly-Z Driver Review Thread

I've often wondered this, so anyone that may know, please jump in!!
Ok, so there's a jump from 10.5* to 11.5*...but if I set it to 10.5D and open it up to neutral, will that be around 11*??
For some reason, I remember hearing that if you play the D loft, it actually drops the loft .5. Might want to try the 11.5D setting and check out the ball flight patterns.

Turn it slightly in your hand. I'm not buying that smartpad hook-line-sinker. Tonight I had it set to 10.5D and consciously could fade as easy as I could in that setting as I could in the regular 10.5...ball seemed to launch a tad higher, that's where my question comes from.

how do you open it to neutral? I thought the smart pad was supposed to keep everything square, even on the draw setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn it slightly in your hand. I'm not buying that smartpad hook-line-sinker. Tonight I had it set to 10.5D and consciously could fade as easy as I could in that setting as I could in the regular 10.5...ball seemed to launch a tad higher, that's where my question comes from.

I thought you meant there was a setting for neutral!

I heard the same as Spivey about the D settings.

I got my Fly Z driver in blue this week and took it to the range Thursday night to compare with my Blue Bio Cell to see how it worked. I normally played my Bio Cell in the 10.5 D setting with a Fujikura EXS 5.1 R shaft cut to play at 45". I started out with that as my base line by hitting a handful of balls at the range. I then took my Fly Z in the stock shaft and also hit a handful of balls in the initial 10.5 setting before switching out the shaft and then hitting the Fly Z with my EXS 5.1 shaft.

So far my initial thoughts are that the Fly Z goes straight as an arrow for my off the tee and was easier to hit straight than the Bio Cell. The stock shaft would take me some time to get used to. It seems like it plays a bit stiffer than my normal shaft. Ultimately I ended up going with the Fly Z and my EXS shaft in the 10.5 setting without the draw bias. I got a bit higher ball flight with the EXS. I got what I believe to be a few extra yards on my driver based on the range experience but I have no launch data to back it up. I have a bit of a slice/fade bias normally so I used to rely on the draw setting to help me hit it straight but so far I don't think I need that with this club. I think the only thing I like less about the Fly Z over the Bio Cell is the sound but the sound of the club doesn't put it down the fairway so it doesn't bother me.

Up next will be to check demo the Fly Z 3 wood against my Bio Cell 3 wood at Golfsmith to see if there is an increase in performance there. I love my current 3 wood so I'd really like to see what the Fly Z does for me.

I got my Fly Z driver in blue this week and took it to the range Thursday night to compare with my Blue Bio Cell to see how it worked. I normally played my Bio Cell in the 10.5 D setting with a Fujikura EXS 5.1 R shaft cut to play at 45". I started out with that as my base line by hitting a handful of balls at the range. I then took my Fly Z in the stock shaft and also hit a handful of balls in the initial 10.5 setting before switching out the shaft and then hitting the Fly Z with my EXS 5.1 shaft.

So far my initial thoughts are that the Fly Z goes straight as an arrow for my off the tee and was easier to hit straight than the Bio Cell. The stock shaft would take me some time to get used to. It seems like it plays a bit stiffer than my normal shaft. Ultimately I ended up going with the Fly Z and my EXS shaft in the 10.5 setting without the draw bias. I got a bit higher ball flight with the EXS. I got what I believe to be a few extra yards on my driver based on the range experience but I have no launch data to back it up. I have a bit of a slice/fade bias normally so I used to rely on the draw setting to help me hit it straight but so far I don't think I need that with this club. I think the only thing I like less about the Fly Z over the Bio Cell is the sound but the sound of the club doesn't put it down the fairway so it doesn't bother me.

Up next will be to check demo the Fly Z 3 wood against my Bio Cell 3 wood at Golfsmith to see if there is an increase in performance there. I love my current 3 wood so I'd really like to see what the Fly Z does for me.

I will be very interested to hear your experience with the Fly Z on the course (as well as the 3 wood comparison you mentioned). I also have a Bio Cell (red) that has yet to push my Cobra ZLE out of my bag. At first, the BC and I just did not get along, but the last few rounds have been a bit better. However, I'm anxious to pull the trigger on a Fly Z, but have hesitated as I've wondered how different it would be from the BC.

Phil and Dave were absolutely bombing these today. Brings back memories of that slightly fat tee shot on #7 at Waldorf...

I will be very interested to hear your experience with the Fly Z on the course (as well as the 3 wood comparison you mentioned). I also have a Bio Cell (red) that has yet to push my Cobra ZLE out of my bag. At first, the BC and I just did not get along, but the last few rounds have been a bit better. However, I'm anxious to pull the trigger on a Fly Z, but have hesitated as I've wondered how different it would be from the BC.

We'll see how it goes next time I hit the course. I was slicing with it today so i ended up adjusting back to 10.5D. Might have been more of a fatigue thing since I was near the end of a bucket in the heat this afternoon. When I got a nice straight one, it was going around 250 based on my estimates of the markers on the course. I think a couple rolled out to the flag marked as 277 but the grass tees were about 20-30 yards forward today. I don't recall ever getting my Bio Cell to travel out there on this range. I'm usually there a couple of times a week.

I was impressed with this club's heel forgiveness today. still good distance and in the fairway.

Phil and Dave were absolutely bombing these today. Brings back memories of that slightly fat tee shot on #7 at Waldorf...

That one I hit on 15 was ridiculous. Ball go far

Lol and mine on 16

Yea. We need to find a scramble or two soon. Take advantage of how well we are hitting these things and playing overall

Yea. We need to find a scramble or two soon. Take advantage of how well we are hitting these things and playing overall

I'll save mine for next month :)

I had some really good pokes with this today. For whatever reason, I hit almost every drive in the center of the face which resulted in some extra distance that I don't usually see since I'm usually catching it a little on the heel. I'm still not PhillyV long, but it was pretty nice to have an 8I into a par 5 for once.

I hit this for a while today just out of curiosity. I saw a pretty good uptick on my swing speed and very good distance. It was set to 9* and I was a little wild with it, but I feel like if I were to get it adjusted better it could work very well for me. Not looking at this point, but was pretty impressed.

I hit this for a while today just out of curiosity. I saw a pretty good uptick on my swing speed and very good distance. It was set to 9* and I was a little wild with it, but I feel like if I were to get it adjusted better it could work very well for me. Not looking at this point, but was pretty impressed.
My fly-z+ was longggg. Unfortunately, my misses were also longer into the woods and other fairways than anything else I've hit.

This is the head in my custom ProjectX shaft. I really like it, it will be in play this week, see how it compares now that my swing is (hopefully) better.

Hit the Fly Z for the first time this year at the range after getting it on ebay dirt cheap. I hit this driver earlier in the spring in a stiff shaft and didnt like it (this was before I get onto THP and realized how important shafts are). Played the stock regular shaft in it today and it was a monster for me. The range I go to only goes to about 275 before one of the golf holes. I hit one that bounced 1 time and almost hit a cart on that hole. Guys picked up the ball and threw it back on the range. My only regret is that I should have hit this shaft initially because it could have really helped me. Even my mishits were flying Need to get this thing on a monitor to see the actual numbers but my ball flight and trajectory were so completely different (in a good way) then anything I have done all year.

my ball flight and trajectory were so completely different (in a good way) then anything I have done all year.

Such a unique and good feeling isnt it?

Such a unique and good feeling isnt it?
yes! It was amazing for me. A couple of times I just stared at the ball flying and said a word I cant repeat on here.

yes! It was amazing for me. A couple of times I just stared at the ball flying and said a word I cant repeat on here.

I know that moment very very well...haha

I waiting for the Cobra Fly Z irons and a couple of Hybrids in the mail in next few days. Looking at the Driver now. Thanks for all the feedback guys. Looks like a winner!

I waiting for the Cobra Fly Z irons and a couple of Hybrids in the mail in next few days. Looking at the Driver now. Thanks for all the feedback guys. Looks like a winner!

It is really good! I am not a very hard swinger at all (mid to high 90's usually) and the regular shaft made a huge difference for me. This thing put all other driver ponders to the back burner for a while!

Got in 18 today with the Fly-Z, 13 of 14 FWs and the distance is right there with the 2014 GBB. This driver is very straight for me, it is more difficult for me to draw than the GBB but easier to cut the ball.

Got in 18 today with the Fly-Z, 13 of 14 FWs and the distance is right there with the 2014 GBB. This driver is very straight for me, it is more difficult for me to draw than the GBB but easier to cut the ball.

Im assuming you mean the regular Big Bertha from 2014, not the GBB?
That is awesome DD. It was a VERY forgiving driver.

Back