Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver

trackman numbers. they're not awful, but the misses were big right swipes.

10.5, atmost blue 65s.

chs 99.8
ball speed 149.0
spin 2,737
carry 241.1
total 265.0
launch 12.1
smash 1.49
aoa 1.7
path -2.3
face 1.4

i actually like those numbers a good bit. maybe could use a few hundred less rpms of spin, but honestly if i can get that path moving just a little more to the right i think the spin would take care of itself and this would be a bomber. so the potential is there, i just didn't like the way he had it set up. i wish he had done a lot more tweaking, because again i think this one would have been the winner of the day.

Those are close to the numbers I was getting. I had a couple more degrees launch. You had about a mile more ball speed. My spin was just under 2700. I was going to suggest the same as Dan. Get the 9 degree head, which is supposed to be lower spin, and then crank it to 10 or 11. It might get you right where you want to be.

Those are close to the numbers I was getting. I had a couple more degrees launch. You had about a mile more ball speed. My spin was just under 2700. I was going to suggest the same as Dan. Get the 9 degree head, which is supposed to be lower spin, and then crank it to 10 or 11. It might get you right where you want to be.

heavy weight forward iirc

10.5, atmost blue 65s.

chs 99.8
ball speed 149.0
spin 2,737
carry 241.1
total 265.0
launch 12.1
smash 1.49
aoa 1.7
path -2.3
face 1.4

i actually like those numbers a good bit. maybe could use a few hundred less rpms of spin, but honestly if i can get that path moving just a little more to the right i think the spin would take care of itself and this would be a bomber. so the potential is there, i just didn't like the way he had it set up. i wish he had done a lot more tweaking, because again i think this one would have been the winner of the day.

I’m downright giddy seeing those numbers - as it’s would be similar for me - however your spin is lower which if my spin was that i think my distance would improve

heavy forward.

tried oban purple 65 04, fubuki t 60 s, vts grey 6f4, and the atmos blue. in other heads we tried black tie, and aldila rogue elite orange.

atmos blue, wait for it, blew the others out of the water. slower club speed, but more carry and more total distance. it's the shaft in the head i tried with jb and wardy late last year and loved. so i think that's the one. i wonder if a slightly longer build and a heavier head set to higher launch would be the answer. longer build for flatter swing, heavier head for better feel, and higher launch for more closed face at impact.

I think heavy forward might be it for me with spin without sacrificing anything else - the other aspects of the swing are curious as well

heavy weight forward iirc

Putting this through it’s paces with different weights is a must

Technically no. I'd get a 9 degree and bump it to 10 or 11. It would technically close the face a bit (smartpad not considered) and instead of shutting it down you'd potentially hit it down the line because mentally you're seeing closed and swing a bit open.

I've done it with a few drivers. I think visually we get comfortable with what we look at and can struggle changing tech/visual/head.

This is why i went with the 10.5 head vs the 12 where I’ve been historically also based on the spin #s I was seeing - if/when I grab the ladies head for the thriver experiment it will be 12 set to 14

Those are similar numbers I got on TrackMan with that head and weight configuration. I never even tried the Atmos Blue because the fitter said he thought it would spin off the planet haha.

I thought the feel sound whatever you want to call it was better with the weight in the back. Didn’t really want to be forced to keep the weight forward. Figured the 9* head would give me more “options” haha

Now I’m wondering if I should have gone 9.0 head lol

The one big box fitting on trackman I had was the 9.0 head set at 9.0* weight forward with the smoke shaft and I thought it was the goofiest thing ever but the numbers were the best from that config

Now I’m wondering if I should have gone 9.0 head lol

The one big box fitting on trackman I had was the 9.0 head set at 9.0* weight forward with the smoke shaft and I thought it was the goofiest thing ever but the numbers were the best from that config

Lol I just went with my gut. I played the F8+ last year and loved it. I have also played drivers in the past that seemed to work better for me when it was a 9* head lofted up than a standard 10.5. Callaway DBD 815 and XR Pro come to mind. That and like I said I was seeing spin numbers a few hundred rpm’s above where I’d like them with the weight forward which basically leaves me no choice to leave it there. Maybe it will still end up there or maybe I will be able to play it with the weight in the back where I prefer it to be.

10.5, atmost blue 65s.

chs 99.8
ball speed 149.0
spin 2,737
carry 241.1
total 265.0
launch 12.1
smash 1.49
aoa 1.7
path -2.3
face 1.4

Hi, minority in this thread here to say, those numbers are actually pretty excellent for the club speed, launch, and AoA. It’s a range where spin is still your friend.

Sure, we all chase a few hundred less rpm, but sometimes to a point of diminishing returns. Particularly you living in an area where carry wins the day, that would produce some consistent carry numbers.

What I’m saying is, 2700 rpm isn’t high spin. Particularly if you look at a lot of the optimal fit charts out there.

Hi, minority in this thread here to say, those numbers are actually pretty excellent for the club speed, launch, and AoA. It’s a range where spin is still your friend.

Sure, we all chase a few hundred less rpm, but sometimes to a point of diminishing returns. Particularly you living in an area where carry wins the day, that would produce some consistent carry numbers.

What I’m saying is, 2700 rpm isn’t high spin. Particularly if you look at a lot of the optimal fit charts out there.

i don't disagree. those numbers are really good, but i couldn't get that path going the correct direction. if i can do that, this will be the beast i want it to be.

i don't disagree. those numbers are really good, but i couldn't get that path going the correct direction. if i can do that, this will be the beast i want it to be.

I remember you struggled a bit with your F8....what were your differences? Difference in shaft?

I remember you struggled a bit with your F8....what were your differences? Difference in shaft?

i did struggle with f8. initially i found some success, but eventually it was a struggle. the struggle is the same struggle i saw with most of the drivers i tested last week. path very ott, face open to path, glancing blow spinny slices. contact was usually super, but just couldn't get it to go straight. tried heavier weights, changing loft settings, swapping shafts, you name it. eventually i had to move on.

when i tested other drivers last week, i was surprised that each gave me pretty much the same results as the f8 last year, while my gamer was nothing but bliss.

and yet i still keep coming back to those three shots i hit with the f9 in tampa late last year. those were some of the best drives i had hit in a long time.

i did struggle with f8. initially i found some success, but eventually it was a struggle. the struggle is the same struggle i saw with most of the drivers i tested last week. path very ott, face open to path, glancing blow spinny slices. contact was usually super, but just couldn't get it to go straight. tried heavier weights, changing loft settings, swapping shafts, you name it. eventually i had to move on.

when i tested other drivers last week, i was surprised that each gave me pretty much the same results as the f8 last year, while my gamer was nothing but bliss.

and yet i still keep coming back to those three shots i hit with the f9 in tampa late last year. those were some of the best drives i had hit in a long time.

So does your swing change with your gamer or it just responds better to your swing flaws? Swing path issues can't be the fault of the driver haha

With all the success you are seeing with you G400 Max, and the struggle with others, I would think you would just stick with it and be happy. Many years ago (like 15) I had a driver that worked so well for me, but, I started chasing for something a little better. Foolishly, I traded it in. I never found another one that I hit as well, and then I stopped playing golf for about 7 years. We read stories about tour pros who would go through a pile of drivers or 3 woods with the same specs and there is only one that really works for them. Of course, their sensitivities and hand/eye coordination are not the same as most of us, but if there is one thing I have learned for me, don’t mess with a driver or a putter that really works until they go stone cold dead in my hands.

Last edited:
So does your swing change with your gamer or it just responds better to your swing flaws? Swing path issues can't be the fault of the driver haha

the fitter was kinda blown away and perplexed by how much better i was swinging with my gamer, and how much better the results were. we couldn't even come close. to me, yes that is some of a design thing, but i also have to think it's a build thing.

With all the success you are seeing with you G400 Max, and the struggle with others, I would think you would just stick with it and be happy. Many years ago (like 15) I had a driver that worked so well for me, but, I started chasing for something a little better. Foolishly, I traded it in. I never found another one that I hit as well, and then I stopped playing golf for about 7 years. We read stories about tour pros who would go through a pile of drivers or 3 woods with the same specs and there is only one that really works for them. Of course, their sensitivities and hand/eye coordination are not the same as most of us, but if there is one thing I have learned for me, don’t mess with a driver or a putter that really works until they go stone cold dead in my hands.

yeah, it's not going anywhere. but with what i saw in the f9 last year, i do think it can work for me. i won't trade the gamer in, but i still think i'll be buying the f9.

Oh look what came in today and swapped to my Helium Proto

9debc5858b35c09d9a83aa88217fad53.jpg
9284b6c87febc044a27e19db170bcab0.jpg
695c296e2a58e380115d3b516eeff6ad.jpg
0634b7998a48e33fec42095feccafaaa.jpg

Still waiting on the weight kit to show up. Once that gets here we’ll fire up the monitor and start in. I got the 10.5 head and adjusted it down to 9.5. 14g gram up front to start.

I did take one swipe at a ball though......hopefully this is a good sign

fb0fef7f64faddfe0d3579c10ee97f96.jpg

More to come.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@2BFAST - #TeamAvalanche FTW!!!

My club builder hit me up to tell me My F9 is all set with a 6g weight up front to get it to D3. I'm really excited about putting this in play so USPS needs to hurry up!

Still waiting on the weight kit to show up. Once that gets here we’ll fire up the monitor and start in. I got the 10.5 head and adjusted it down to 9.5. 14g gram up front to start.

More to come.....

Dude that looks sliiiick with the black helium!!

Yea that avalanche looks so good

From my initial observation of it compared to my F8, it def is more "rounder/softer" around the edges of the face. Which is believed the purpose of this line to help increase club head speed. I was kinda bummed the weight kits didn't come in yet as I was getting geared up to get this going tomorrow but looks like I will have to wait until next weekend possibly.

Dude that looks sliiiick with the black helium!!

Yeah looks department its a knockout so far. But we all know that's part of the equation lol

I have a tensei pro orange paired with my f9 avalanche head. I bet it's a bomber. It's really too bad that it will never see the light of day, because it won't stop snowing...

I cannot wait to hear about how this works out. I have nothing else to but wait since it's 22* & blowing 15 mph here in town.

I wonder if it's timing with the Atmos? Any other options available?

I had a difficult time timing up the Atmos blue & black in this driver. It was spray city & high spin.
The Smoke & the Tensei Blue was fine.

I am sure others here will tell you, but shafts aren't going to change the launch/spin nearly as much as the head itself will.

One last thing I wanted to mention is thanks to the attached post, I am much more educated on shaft selection now since I’ve read everything I can on shafts. Still have a ways to go but I’m much better prepared now. In the past I’ve passed up a lot of good shafts based on their spin & launch profiles.

Even though I’m not the best golfer or have the prettiest swing, I’m fortunate enough to have optimum launch and spin driver numbers. During my testing, I found out that low/low launch and spin shafts didn’t differ that much (For Me) as mid or higher launching shafts. I settled on the Helium shaft and couldn’t be happier.

More to come.....

Bryan that is by far one of the sexiest drivers I've ever seen. That black Helium with the matte top and white/red bottom looks gorgeous. I've been teetering back and forth on yellow vs white and I seem to change every single day but you sir have sent more over the edge....for good this time.

Bryan that is by far one of the sexiest drivers I've ever seen. That black Helium with the matte top and white/red bottom looks gorgeous. I've been teetering back and forth on yellow vs white and I seem to change every single day but you sir have sent more over the edge....for good this time.

Thanks man. It’s def on point in the looks dept. Now I just to get it dialed in. Like I said when I get the weight kits in I’ll get some data to go over....

Dude!!! @2BFAST That could very well be the best looking F9 setup I’ve seen, well done buddy!

Dude!!! @2BFAST That could very well be the best looking F9 setup I’ve seen, well done buddy!

Thanks big daddy. Now let’s get it to perform

Back