Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

No I have never played these shafts. I really trust the fitter and I liked the results with the shafts.

Why is this shaft so unique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me...... they feel quite stiff throughout the swing, but then buttery smooth through the hitting zone. They play very stiff in the butt and mid section of the shaft, then the tips are soft. Just a unique shaft. I didnt mind them in my irons but found them too unique for the short wedges.

For me...... they feel quite stiff throughout the swing, but then buttery smooth through the hitting zone. They play very stiff in the butt and mid section of the shaft, then the tips are soft. Just a unique shaft. I didnt mind them in my irons but found them too unique for the short wedges.

I had the C-taper lite in my Apex CF 16 and I was launching the ball too low. The Nippon gets the ball in better launch angle. I am looking forward to hitting these in about week. They need to get built at Cobra. I will let you now my thoughts on it

Can I ask a more general OL question?

I have a lovely set of OL KTFB in my bag with the stock AMT steel shafts.

I've been reading that people have sent shafts back to cobra for reshafting OL clubs. Is this the smartest way to do it? Can you buy new shafts from them or do you have to provide the new shafts? Is it cheaper to just buy a new set?

I sent mine back. The info out there on reshafting OL is inconsistent and I wouldn't trust a shop that doesn't normally do it to do mine.

It was cheaper than buying a new eBay set. Cobra paid shipping both ways. I was without them about 2 weeks total. If you use shafts that are available on their website they will have them in stock.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I sent mine back. The info out there on reshafting OL is inconsistent and I wouldn't trust a shop that doesn't normally do it to do mine.

It was cheaper than buying a new eBay set. Cobra paid shipping both ways. I was without them about 2 weeks total. If you use shafts that are available on their website they will have them in stock.

Can I ask what you switched to? How much did they charge per shaft?

Can I ask what you switched to? How much did they charge per shaft?
I went to C Taper Lites. It was less than $50 all in per shaft, including removal and new grips.

I've kind of been neglecting these ever since getting the F9 long irons in to mess around with, but I had some AWESOME swings tonight with the 6 and 7 irons.

Worked on a bit of a statue drill to eliminate some backswing nonsense, and what followed was incredible contact and launch. Dead straight, deep, and absolutely lavish off the face.

My eagerness to get these on course grows by the hour. Here's hoping the weather turns and I can really get these dialed.

I've kind of been neglecting these ever since getting the F9 long irons in to mess around with, but I had some AWESOME swings tonight with the 6 and 7 irons.

Worked on a bit of a statue drill to eliminate some backswing nonsense, and what followed was incredible contact and launch. Dead straight, deep, and absolutely lavish off the face.

My eagerness to get these on course grows by the hour. Here's hoping the weather turns and I can really get these dialed.

the straight flight is what has impressed me the most about these clubs. even with less-than-ideal swings, these would always hold the line beautifully.

the straight flight is what has impressed me the most about these clubs. even with less-than-ideal swings, these would always hold the line beautifully.

That was my first experience with them, in a sim at Cobra HQ. Dead crazy straight every single time. Nuts.

That was my first experience with them, in a sim at Cobra HQ. Dead crazy straight every single time. Nuts.

only thing i never did see that others saw was the high trajectory. these were pretty low-flying for me unless i really stayed behind the ball. that said, i never had an issue holding greens so no biggie.

So I got my 4 utility and 5-PW about two weeks ago but wasn't enamoured with the all black look and had to walk around the house holding a club in hand to get used to them just like the PM Grind wedges when I first bought them. Plus I had two anchors for teeth implants installed (if you grind your teeth in your sleep wear a mouth guard!!) so I was in agony and in no mood to hit golf balls. I really like how the clubs look from the top but I don't care for the all black look. Perhaps going with my usual white/black MCC will fix that.

Feeling like I would eventually sell them I took only the 4 utility and the PW to the range after two weeks of thinking I wasted my money. I started with the PW as I assumed it would be the hardest to adjust to but right off the bat I was hitting high 130-135 yard shots and they felt great. I was hitting the same spot on the face over and over and the AMT felt so smoof. My buddy hit the PW as well and was impressed as well. So feeling good I went ahead and pulled out the 4 utility and all those good feelings left! I was very erratic with it. A push was 180 yards, a well struck shot was 205-210 yards and a couple went 220 yards. I asked a buddy to hit the 4 iron and he was a consistent 205 which he said was his usual 4 iron distance.

So I was leaning towards selling them but took out the 4 iron for a second session and found myself hitting it much more consistently. I was getting a good 205-210 with a medium trajectory. The higher lofted irons go really high but the 4 utility definitely is a bit on the lower side. This second session was a tease and I've decided the set requires more testing.

So I got my 4 utility and 5-PW about two weeks ago but wasn't enamoured with the all black look and had to walk around the house holding a club in hand to get used to them just like the PM Grind wedges when I first bought them. Plus I had two anchors for teeth implants installed (if you grind your teeth in your sleep wear a mouth guard!!) so I was in agony and in no mood to hit golf balls. I really like how the clubs look from the top but I don't care for the all black look. Perhaps going with my usual white/black MCC will fix that.

Feeling like I would eventually sell them I took only the 4 utility and the PW to the range after two weeks of thinking I wasted my money. I started with the PW as I assumed it would be the hardest to adjust to but right off the bat I was hitting high 130-135 yard shots and they felt great. I was hitting the same spot on the face over and over and the AMT felt so smoof. My buddy hit the PW as well and was impressed as well. So feeling good I went ahead and pulled out the 4 utility and all those good feelings left! I was very erratic with it. A push was 180 yards, a well struck shot was 205-210 yards and a couple went 220 yards. I asked a buddy to hit the 4 iron and he was a consistent 205 which he said was his usual 4 iron distance.

So I was leaning towards selling them but took out the 4 iron for a second session and found myself hitting it much more consistently. I was getting a good 205-210 with a medium trajectory. The higher lofted irons go really high but the 4 utility definitely is a bit on the lower side. This second session was a tease and I've decided the set requires more testing.

Dude please don't give up on them they are amazing irons. They feel so nice when struck well. Your one of the few people who seem to like the AMT shafts.

These clubs are amazing. But what do I know I am just a hacker.

Peace

My Forged Tec irons shipped Friday. They should be delivering Thursday and they will be on the range Friday

The smoother I swing with these irons, the more impressive they are.

Off the button they are still plenty unforgiving distance wise, but most of the times for me dead straight.
On the button they are super lively, very appealing, and accurate!

The wind was nuts today though. I had to double and triple down on clubbing up into 15-20mph winds to get my number out of them, but the straightness really allowed me to maintain accuracy.

Off the button they are still plenty unforgiving distance wise, but most of the times for me dead straight.

The wind was nuts today though. I had to double and triple down on clubbing up into 15-20mph winds to get my number out of them, but the straightness really allowed me to maintain accuracy.

are you seeing any patterns emerge for the distance loss you see on mishits? 1/2 club? full club? more? do you think this is more or less loss than other irons you have tested in this category?

are you seeing any patterns emerge for the distance loss you see on mishits? 1/2 club? full club? more? do you think this is more or less loss than other irons you have tested in this category?

To add to McLovin's question, what kind of trajectory are you seeing with this iron/shaft combo?

Hey All - just thought I'd followup for documentation purposes.

I bought a used set of FTB OL with the AMT steel shafts. I fell in love with my smacwrap shafts and the ease of which it allowed me to quickly grow my skill set (finally breaking 100 after a year of trying to be 18 hole consistent!)

I contacted Cobra and their re-shafting for stock graphite is approximately $30 a club + shipping. It basically equates my total investment in the set to just slightly below retail when they came out.

Hope everyone is hitting them straight!

Just got my Forged Tec set from Cobra. I will get these clubs on the range tomorrow. I am very excited

Just got my Forged Tec set from Cobra. I will get these clubs on the range tomorrow. I am very excited

Yeah man, play them well! The feeling of striking them on the button is so nice.

I hope you enjoy them they are fantastic clubs!

At the range tonight I continued to get these dialed in. They feel amazing when you find the center and are not very punishing when you don't. Plus, they still look incredible.. No finish wear anywhere

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

At the range tonight I continued to get these dialed in. They feel amazing when you find the center and are not very punishing when you don't. Plus, they still look incredible.. No finish wear anywhere

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Mine too. Look great, even though it's only been a few weeks.

Got these clubs out to the range. They are amazing!!! I cannot wait to get them on the course.

I hope you enjoy them they are fantastic clubs!

Even though you are a Pats fan I agree. These clubs are great. When you hit on the button it just goes. I like the shaft combo because it has me launching the ball higher.

Okay so I've held onto them (for now) but I took the PW and 4 utility out tonight and the PW was liquid hot magma. I was pureing it 135 on the dot with the highest PW ball flight I've ever had. I was hitting a nice draw and loved the feel and ball flight. The club is starting to set up to my liking. The 4 utility I am still struggling with. I looked at the sole and noticed the mat marks were favoring the toe despite being on the draw setting. I assumed that would make the club more upright but it sits flush on the mat at set-up and all my other clubs have always been slightly toe up. Looking at the specs it is 1 degree flatter than the Forged TEC 4 iron and two flatter than I need and that ain't gonna work. Anyone know if the utility can be bent upright? I feel like if I can get the lie angle to 64.5 I can make this set work. I'll probably fire off an e-mail to Cobra. Gotta get some MCC grips on these things too. The Lamkins ain't gonna cut it. I was thinking of getting the 8, 9 and PW in standard lengths but based on how I hit the PW I'm think GW, SW and LW in One Length might be the answer.

Well I'm here still waiting for my clubs. It'll be 3 weeks tomorrow iirc.
Last week I was told there were issues with the grips I wanted at Cobra (MCC+4 midsize) but was told they were put on the truck last Wed and should've been here yesterday or today at the latest. Called the shop again today and he said they have been sent today by plane without the grips and that the shop is going to put them on...

Last edited:
Back