Cobra King LTD Driver - THP Review

love the sound and the feel. but my swing really struggles to work with the lower launch. still want it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about the 590 in the LTD?

Oh and that sound! So good!

Too light, I'm going to stay in the 70's weight wise, even for this little tinkering...plus I shipped it to Wardy so it was being used. Its not going to displace my GBB, but its fun to hit now and again for sure.

The port hole looks big enough to get a dye grinder in there for some internal face shaving...

Why? I just don't understand why anyone would want to do this.

My god I want to hit this thing.

So, the sound on this one is freaking addicting. SO addicting, to the point that everyone in the group today commented on it.

I ended up set to 11.5 w/ the HZRDUS Black and really will likely go 12, even then, I'd like a couple more degrees launch.

love the sound and the feel. but my swing really struggles to work with the lower launch. still want it though!

I asked this already regarding the LTD fairways, but isn't the Zero CG design supposed to create effortless launch? If this launches low does that mean the tech doesn't work?

I asked this already regarding the LTD fairways, but isn't the Zero CG design supposed to create effortless launch? If this launches low does that mean the tech doesn't work?
No swing is the same, no club is one size fits all. There is no hard and fast answer there, for me, Ive not hit it on my LM yet but would bet I'm spinning in the low 2000 range and hitting it at a mid flight, for me and my needs, that is very very low spin for the launch I see.

Just because it says effortless launch doesn't mean everyone will launch it 16*. Plus, I'm playing a HZRDUS black 70 6.5 in it, hahaha

I want to get back on lm, and with a non douche employee at a big box store who is actually willing to spend some time with me.

I do feel like most people who have posted lm data in comparison to other clubs usually see the ltd as a low-low club. for whatever that's worth.

I get that for sure. Its just odd that the first club to achieve zero CG is met with multiple reports of low launch.
I'm eager to hit it myself and see where it fits for me.

Comments about less then desirable sound and feel of the F6+ have this one back on my hit list. Will be fun to hit them both whenever they get on shelves here. I see a new cobra driver in my future just not sure which one yet

Bump for Rambler... .Soooooo much thought in this thread, and I really expect Jman to be gushing in here within the next few days as well haha
Yeah, I decided to keep an open mind after initially dismissing. It's good. More time is required, though... so I went ahead and picked one up from RBG. :alien:

So, the sound on this one is freaking addicting. SO addicting, to the point that everyone in the group today commented on it.

I ended up set to 11.5 w/ the HZRDUS Black and really will likely go 12, even then, I'd like a couple more degrees launch.
These comments didn't help me stay away.

It's always nice to have options.. At least that's what I tell the wife.
Soooo true. And with the LTD, the color scheme matches the driver shaft I was fit into - Fuel. So, we'll see what the Rogue does for me before I further experiment.

Soooo true. And with the LTD, the color scheme matches the driver shaft I was fit into - Fuel. So, we'll see what the Rogue does for me before I further experiment.

Nice!! My LTD is a little beat up, after falling onto a vent from my desk. Ugh.

Have been seriously pondering sending it to Continental.

Oohhhh! A continental finish on it could be amazing

Hmmmmm... now if Continental could match the graphics, but with different colors...

I get that for sure. Its just odd that the first club to achieve zero CG is met with multiple reports of low launch.
I'm eager to hit it myself and see where it fits for me.

I have the HZRDUS in my LTD and I launch it plenty high - around 14 degrees with low 2000 spin. I could get a couple more degrees up on the launch but I like what I am seeing currently. Personally, I would not classify this as low launch head, more of a true mid-launch. But your swing may vary.

I have the HZRDUS in my LTD and I launch it plenty high - around 14 degrees with low 2000 spin. I could get a couple more degrees up on the launch but I like what I am seeing currently. Personally, I would not classify this as low launch head, more of a true mid-launch. But your swing may vary.

Yes I would agree with the mid launch. I cranked my Pro LTD down to 7 for kicks. Now that was a low launch!!

I don't really have much thought into how/what/why on this one, but am curious. Would that make the club illegal for tournament play?

It would have to be tested...I was looking through the port hole and noticed a thicker section in the center, while the off center face was thinner. I was thinking that buzzing down the center thicker area may hot the face up to max, perhaps that what it is designed for so Tour Players can get the most out of a head that is made sub COR?

Last edited:

Happy to hear this, as I really want to like this driver! How do you like the LTD vs. the F6+? I played the Fly Z+ for half of last year but never fell in love with the 2 shafts I had for it. My very limited swings with the LTD at a Golfsmith over Christmas left me impressed but I haven't taken the time to demo it outside yet. Hopefully I'll be able to do that soon as I really love the looks of it!

Here are some LTD numbers from a few months back. This was when I was swinging too much inside out, so some shots are not that great. The shaft was a tad too soft for me also. What was impressive is the distance it was putting out at 45 long (I think it was). My problem was getting launch up so I played it up near my left foot more than usual. I sure liked the forged face and impact feeling, the misses flew the best of nearly any driver I have tried before.
I still have this on the radar and may pick up a used one on the bay. I feel with a lighter longer stable x shaft at 45.75, with a low bend point it may work for me. I just need more peak height for my high draw shot. I do think for me, set up right it could beat GBB with its consistency over the face in relation to my swing. I like GBB for it sleeve and getting good face loft in the + positions. I did own the Fly-Z+ and liked it a lot, apart from LA, however I did get roll out long. Perhaps some THP's can install the Grandura 590 in it for a good test...and post LM numbers?

023_zpsdg5kwh83.jpg

Last edited:
It would have to be tested...I was looking through the port hole and noticed a thicker section in the center, while the off center face was thinner. I was thinking that buzzing down the center thicker area may hot the face up to max, perhaps that what it is designed for so Tour Players can get the most out of a head that is made sub COR?

No. You would then take the center past max. The variable thickness is there for a reason, allowing the vertical and lateral margins of the club face to generate and retain better ball speeds while keeping the center under COR standards.

Tour players get more out of heads BECAUSE THEY ARE TOUR PLAYERS.

Because of manufacturing tolerances Imo you can find some heads not at max cor that designed and built just below it.Imo I think in some heads there is more left to gain. This is not my point my point is this a port hole where you can possibly lshave the face from the inside again testing would prove this.

[Www QUOTE=Jman;4276494]No. You would then take the center past max. The variable thickness is there for a reason, allowing the vertical and lateral margins of the club face to generate and retain better ball speeds while keeping the center under COR standards.

Tour players get more out of heads BECAUSE THEY ARE TOUR PLAYERS.[/QUOTE]

Because of manufacturing tolerances Imo you can find some heads not at max cor that designed and built just below it.Imo I think in some heads there is more left to gain. This is not my point my point is this a port hole where you can possibly lshave the face from the inside again testing would prove this.

[Www QUOTE=Jman;4276494]No. You would then take the center past max. The variable thickness is there for a reason, allowing the vertical and lateral margins of the club face to generate and retain better ball speeds while keeping the center under COR standards.

Tour players get more out of heads BECAUSE THEY ARE TOUR PLAYERS.

Hey, I say if you want to do that to a 449.00 driver, more power to you.

Torn between this and the 816 DBD as the driver move for me this year, if I make one. Need to get both on a LM against my gamer something terrible.

Back