Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our supermarket chain is opening from 5:30 AM to 7AM three days a week for seniors only...to minimize our exposure, I suppose.

That’s good. I thing a few of ours may be doing the same. Good way to avoid the millennials, lol. 5:30am + grocery store I’m sure is nowhere on the radar :)

I have a theory...
Which party occupied the WH during H1N1?

Respectfully: take that political s--- out of here. I was on the front lines during H1N1 as well. The spread of this virus has been much faster than that one, and we had some knowledge to go off of back then because it was a type of influenza. This is a novel virus and treatments are evolving as we speak. To compare the 2 is irresponsible.

can we get another thread with just actual facts of closures or federal / state orders? Wading through this thread and the BS arguing and Richard measuring is getting old when you have to read pages of back and forth with actual Information sprinkled in sparingly.

Agree completely.

What some people fail to realize is that the government can pull every economic lever that they want to right now and it's not going to mean a thing until people feel like they can go back to their regular lives.

Also, this was to be expected.

Our supermarket chain is opening from 5:30 AM to 7AM three days a week for seniors only...to minimize our exposure, I suppose.

They have done something similar around here, and our local Nextdoor postings (I call it youkidsgetoffmylawn.com) said the "senior hour" was busier than any other times of the day.

But yet they are keeping restaurants open? Close them down & let people start cooking.
Pickup only still I guess.

I heard that Ohio get 51% of their food or something like that so guess im not super surprised that's considered essential

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I'm conflicted on this one. On one hand, AOC of NY says to minimize our carbon footprint because climate change will kill us in 12 years. This was a "fact" in February so my current tinfoil hat in about 3 years old. However, we're now told warm temperatures could kill the virus. This means a new tinfoil hat everyday is appropriate. I'm so confused. What would you do?

Climate change was supposed to kill us by 2000. :)

That’s good. I thing a few of ours may be doing the same. Good way to avoid the millennials, lol. 5:30am + grocery store I’m sure is nowhere on the radar :)

We have the same thing, but it's from 6:00 to 7:30am. Weird being in the store with all these old people...wait, I'm an old person! lol

no Canadian athletes at Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics if no postponement

As of tonight, all non-essential businesses are ordered closed for 2 weeks mandatory. Grocery stores are rationing certain products like milk to 1 gallon per purchase.

Respectfully: take that political s--- out of here. I was on the front lines during H1N1 as well. The spread of this virus has been much faster than that one, and we had some knowledge to go off of back then because it was a type of influenza. This is a novel virus and treatments are evolving as we speak. To compare the 2 is irresponsible.

Coronaviruses have been around what though, 60 years per WHO? Yes, I understand they have evolved and such. Aka, Sars, Mers, and this little guy. SARS was what, early 2000’s? So in 15+ years, we weren’t able to learn our lesson a bit?

Cause we seem to have learned how to let things like social media turn serious things into disasters due to misinformation. Case in point, your colleagues can barely find masks when it’s been stated repeatedly that masks aren’t doing a damn thing to stop the spread of things, and people need to stop buying them so our medical professionals can have them for work.

Denying science doesn't make it not a fact.

I agree, if it is actually science. It's more like a religion. Not one, not one prediction in more than 40+ years of global warming hysteria has come to pass. I used to be a big proponent of global warming until I noticed none of the predictions were coming true. I did some research and found the "science" isn't all that settled after all.

Coronaviruses have been around what though, 60 years per WHO? Yes, I understand they have evolved and such. Aka, Sars, Mers, and this little guy. SARS was what, early 2000’s? So in 15+ years, we weren’t able to learn our lesson a bit?

Cause we seem to have learned how to let things like social media turn serious things into disasters due to misinformation. Case in point, your colleagues can barely find masks when it’s been stated repeatedly that masks aren’t doing a damn thing to stop the spread of things, and people need to stop buying them so our medical professionals can have them for work.

It's not that we haven't learned our lesson, it's that the system that we have isn't built well to handle surges like this.

Also, it's been going this way for a while, but some people think that whatever they read on the Internet is true. Many of us know that isn't the case.

#1 question at my restaurant: "are you really busy? you must be"

no, the entire industry is tanking (some places severely so) right now because there is very little spending going on; prepared food is a luxury and luxury spending is the first to go in times like this

#1 question at my restaurant: "are you really busy? you must be"

no, the entire industry is tanking (some places severely so) right now because there is very little spending going on; prepared food is a luxury and luxury spending is the first to go in times like this
I'm trying to order to go at least a handful of times a week, for lunch or dinner, specifically because I know these places are getting hammered hard. We're fortunate than most with two solid incomes that won't be impacted by COVID-19, at least not immediately, so we're trying to do our part to spread the wealth a bit. Not sure if it'll make a difference or not ... hopefully it will.

It's not that we haven't learned our lesson, it's that the system that we have isn't built well to handle surges like this.

Also, it's been going this way for a while, but some people think that whatever they read on the Internet is true. Many of us know that isn't the case.

Given how the plain old flu virus mutates every year, given that someone can be contagious, hop on a plane and be anywhere in the world in hours, you would think nations would be better prepared for an outbreak such as this...have a plan in place to hit the ground running when it hits.

I think the system is very much confirming that it’s not well handled for this kinda mess. It’s also frustrating that a lot of these people that are in panic are rushing to hospitals instead of their local doctor first. I wonder how the strain on things would decline if people weren’t panicking to extremes?

Case in point, your colleagues can barely find masks when it’s been stated repeatedly that masks aren’t doing a damn thing to stop the spread of things, and people need to stop buying them so our medical professionals can have them for work.
I still don't understand why masks were said to be ineffective to stop the spread of a droplet transmitted virus. Seems like it would catch anything the wearer would spray when talking or coughing, and prevent someone else's spray from entering your mouth and nose.

Also:

Early quarantines played a role here, too.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why masks were said to be ineffective to stop the spread of a droplet transmitted virus. Seems like it would catch anything the wearer would spray when talking or coughing, and prevent someone else's spray from entering your mouth and nose.

Also:

part of the problem is that a proper mask needs to be fitted properly. micro adjustments and general fidgeting reduce the benefits of a mask. however something is better than nothing, and really any bandana of some sort will be just as effective at limiting droplets and aerosols for the general populace

Agree completely.

What some people fail to realize is that the government can pull every economic lever that they want to right now and it's not going to mean a thing until people feel like they can go back to their regular lives.

Also, this was to be expected.

You aren’t the only one that remembers H1N1, the question revolved around the media coverage of those two events... If you think that the media’s coverage was the same then as now... Respectfully ,I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you...

You aren’t the only one that remembers H1N1, the question revolved around the media coverage of those two events... If you think that the media’s coverage was the same then as now... Respectfully ,I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you...
Can’t you also argue that the media in general these days has completely changed? In the past 11 years we have definitely gotten way more click baity and way more is on social media now.

Hell 11 years ago you still needed a college confirmed email address to get on Facebook (or that feature had just recently been removed), Twitter hadn’t really become much yet, and Instagram didn’t exist. To compare the two climates and make it political is a stretch IMO. The media climate these days due to social media has become a s*** storm.

The mayor of Moss Point, MS, has mandated a curfew "to protect you from yourselves".

The mayor of Moss Point, MS, has mandated a curfew "to protect you from yourselves".
I was taking a Hurricane relief team to Baton Rouge for my job during Katrina... Got stopped and held up by the police in Picayune, MS. I had a letter from the Government that deemed us essential, but it was touch and go there for a second, Good Times.

Normally I'd be pretty firmly planted in the "government should mind their own business" camp, but after everything I've read? Lock these morons in their house and put the key in a lockbox with a 30 day timer on it.

Good lord, terrible decisions will be the death of many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back