Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that April 6th could be the day that we attempt to turn the country back on... Once the data shows the downside of the curve, which is probably 7-8 days behind Italy.
There are reports that April 11 is the expected peak fpday in Oregon. Some school districts are quietly planning for kids to return at the end of April.

And yet day care centers are staying open to care for kids of health care professionals. I understand the intent, but isn't there a better solution than in effect throwing 40 new samples into a community petri dish every day?
In Ohio they are limiting it to 6 children per room, and the centers must get a special license for the pandemic. One of the places we take our son applied and was approved. They serve a bunch of medical professionals since they are located in the heart of Clevelands medical center.

My vet just called to reschedule Arrow's yearly wellness visit. They said they are doing curbside visits. You pull up, they take him into the office, you wait in the car, they do their exam, bring him back to you, and then the vet calls to discuss the visit and they take payment over the phone. Pretty efficient, and nice to know they are still there to help if a pet is in need.

Since Arrow isn't due for any shots, it's just a wellness check we decided to just push his appointment back a few weeks, but I like that they are still there for pets, but also taking as many precautions as possible.
We had a dog with a follow-up vet appointment yesterday due to an eye issue he has. They did the exact same thing. The vet is currently honoring existing appointments but anything elective or standard checkups are being delayed.

WA state imposed a Stay at Home rule last night at 530pm effective immediately for individuals and in 48 hours for non-essential business. Of course this is WA state so wineries, distilleries and Pot shops are considered essential. lol
The Denver mayor tried closing these yesterday & within minutes there were huge lines at everyone of them. So he had to resend that part.

Meant to share this last night. Some HOAs around me being quite serious.

View attachment 8933452
View attachment 8933453
Denver did the same thing at all there public parks. Luckily on this side of the mountain we haven't had either one of these yet & the colf courses are still open.

I was hoping the many minds here brighter than mine had some ideas about the health care/day care dilemma. I am not sure there are better alternatives. Where possible, I imagine health care workers are making alternate arrangements, such as with relatives, friends, or neighbors. It is a very difficult issue, but at the same time it seems to provide a wide-open route for transmission among workers at multiple facilities. Facilities with on-site day care would seem to be less likely to be a transmission route across facilities, but that is not how our day care is structured, by and large.

I was hoping the many minds here brighter than mine had some ideas about the health care/day care dilemma. I am not sure there are better alternatives. Where possible, I imagine health care workers are making alternate arrangements, such as with relatives, friends, or neighbors. It is a very difficult issue, but at the same time it seems to provide a wide-open route for transmission among workers at multiple facilities. Facilities with on-site day care would seem to be less likely to be a transmission route across facilities, but that is not how our day care is structured, by and large.
Our daycare (only for hospital workers) told us to look for alternate care. What they did offer was a flat rate for the week, or we could pay by the day (and we would be charged at the end of the week using whatever number of was lower). Instead, since I'm working from home at the moment, we opted to keep the kids home and use the money we saved to bring in our babysitter for ~6 hrs a day. She can do homework, and otherwise just keep the kids busy while I work. It's not an ideal situation, but we feel more comfortable than sending the kids to the daycare.

Our governor is an anti vaccine ******* moron taking almost no real precautions and next week at this time it WILL be bad for Oklahoma.
That's scary, I hope he wakes up before too many people are harmed by his decisions.

The daycare thing is tough. My sister has a friend who is an ER doctor. She has to be at work, and her husband is in the Navy and just came back from overseas and has a fever and a cough, so he is being quarantined. They have a 1 year old, and since they only live where they live because of the Navy, they have no family around to help out. All their friends have to work (medical or Navy also), so the childcare situation is really hard for them.

I can tell you we are a different country, with different demographics, different culture, different population with a different willingness to act or have things forced on us, etc. Was everything done perfectly by our government? No, of course not. The 20/20 hindsight by some is beyond old.
I'm well aware that we're a different country. My point was that the numbers YOU provided didn't mean much outside of some proper context. The other thing is, the virus don't give two shakes about what we are willing to do, or not to do, as a culture/population. That's not an opinion, it's a sobering fact.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the police have backed off on speed traps / radar patrols? I got thinking on the drive in this morning that I never saw one last week. Usually I see at least a Sheriff or State Trooper everyday radaring speeders.

I'm well aware that we're a different country. My point was that the numbers YOU provided didn't mean much outside of some proper context. The other thing is, the virus don't give two shakes about what we are willing to do, or not to do, as a culture/population. That's not an opinion, it's a sobering fact.
That was exactly the point - the numbers I gave were intended to show the statements made by someone else didn’t mean much without context.

So, about 2 weeks before this virus went crazy we had a 6:00 am meeting. Outside before it started i watched the mercedes bus pull in with division pres, 5 vp’s, and 10 hr people. New it was bad. Anyway they announced our plant closure and i knew i was done. What do you care about lean and CI if your shutting down. Next day i started what turned into 14 interviews and a trip to Minneapolis for another job. Unfortunately, 2 days after the trip they figured out that it was hitting the fan and pulled job until end of yr at least. My wife is a teacher and she is home until the 6th of april and then it will be online teaching with her class probably until the end of the year. It is going to a little crazy in my house. Luckily, kids are done with college and out on their own. One in California and the other is a pot grower in michigan ( maybe i will do visit him and see what type of “munchies” we can get into. So, what are some of the pains you are going through? I am guessing that those with young kids in a lockdown state are ready to go play a very slow round of golf to get away. Lets hear some of the stories. Maybe as a group we can help with ideas or just help each other get through this mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched NY ‘s governor’s daily press briefing. The numbers here in NY ( more than 20,000 cases ) are astronomical compared to the rest of the country. Although the majority is in the city, or its surrounding counties. About 140 cases here in Albany.

Watched NY ‘s governor’s daily press briefing. The numbers here in NY ( more than 20,000 cases ) are astronomical compared to the rest of the country. Although the majority is in the city, or its surrounding counties. About 140 cases here in Albany.
It is just common sense that the larger masses in tighter spaces like major cities are going to have more cases. I have friends living in NYC and I do worry about them a bit. Only a few cases in the area where I live and none in my county as of yet. I think all total there are like 5-6 confirmed cases in the areas surrounding me.

Good argument for overall testing, and isolation in densely populated areas.

NYS has 49.7% of the nation's cases. It has administered 27.4% of the total tests in the United States to date. Our positive result rate of 27.4% (I double-checked that) is among the nation's highest.

Source: https://covidtracking.com/data/

[
It is just common sense that the larger masses in tighter spaces like major cities are going to have more cases. I have friends living in NYC and I do worry about them a bit. Only a few cases in the area where I live and none in my county as of yet. I think all total there are like 5-6 confirmed cases in the areas surrounding me.
Good argument for overall testing, and isolation in densely populated areas.

NYS has 49.7% of the nation's cases. It has administered 27.4% of the total tests in the United States to date. Our positive result rate of 27.4% (I double-checked that) is among the nation's highest.

Source: https://covidtracking.com/data/

I didn’t know the rate as far as positives but I was aware that more than 1/4 of tests conducted in US were done in NY.

That was exactly the point - the numbers I gave were intended to show the statements made by someone else didn’t mean much without context.
So lets do this ... lets take the numbers you provided and the population density numbers I provided. In total, what conclusions can we draw from the data? Which country, the US or Korea, has to this point, the better pandemic response.

I hope - HOPE - the US puts together a resposne the envy of the world. So far though, I don't see anything to convince me that's going to be the case.

I wonder if there's any correlation that New York City and New Orleans have a pretty high infection rate, and both cities are both pretty gross sanitation wise?

I wonder if there's any correlation that New York City and New Orleans have a pretty high infection rate, and both cities are both pretty gross sanitation wise?

Disney has taken advantage of the shutdown to begin filming a live-action version of Ratatouille:

Last edited:
So lets do this ... lets take the numbers you provided and the population density numbers I provided. In total, what conclusions can we draw from the data? Which country, the US or Korea, has to this point, the better pandemic response.

I hope - HOPE - the US puts together a resposne the envy of the world. So far though, I don't see anything to convince me that's going to be the case.

"
The United States was ranked the best-prepared country in the world to handle a pandemic in late 2019 by the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) and the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security (JHCHS) -- an assessment seemingly at odds with claims by Democrats that the Trump administration left the country vulnerable to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

The Global Health Security Index was was "developed with guidance from an international panel of experts from 13 countries, with research by the Economist Intelligence Unit," The Washington Post reported last year. "More than 100 researchers spent a year collecting and validating publicly available data.”

At the same time, the paper noted that the U.S. score was still not perfect, and that "factors driving down the U.S. score include the risks of social unrest and terrorism, and low public confidence in government."

Source: https://www.ghsindex.org/country/united-states/

Compared to South Korea, who was 9th.

...I hope - HOPE - the US puts together a resposne the envy of the world. So far though, I don't see anything to convince me that's going to be the case.
According to a study by Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, the U.S. isn't doing so bad: https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/02/27/trum...-coronaviruscovid-19-649-em0-art1-dtd-health/

...The U.S. scored 83.5 and ranked No. 1 in five of six categories: prevention, early detection and reporting, rapid response and mitigation, sufficient and robust health system, and compliance with international norms...

My vet just called to reschedule Arrow's yearly wellness visit. They said they are doing curbside visits. You pull up, they take him into the office, you wait in the car, they do their exam, bring him back to you, and then the vet calls to discuss the visit and they take payment over the phone. Pretty efficient, and nice to know they are still there to help if a pet is in need.

Since Arrow isn't due for any shots, it's just a wellness check we decided to just push his appointment back a few weeks, but I like that they are still there for pets, but also taking as many precautions as possible.

That's sensible. I hope more jurisdictions follow this policy.

On another note, my physical therapy has been cancelled, as well as two other doctor appointments. Which is no real surprise.

"
The United States was ranked the best-prepared country in the world to handle a pandemic in late 2019 by the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) and the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security (JHCHS) -- an assessment seemingly at odds with claims by Democrats that the Trump administration left the country vulnerable to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

The Global Health Security Index was was "developed with guidance from an international panel of experts from 13 countries, with research by the Economist Intelligence Unit," The Washington Post reported last year. "More than 100 researchers spent a year collecting and validating publicly available data.”

At the same time, the paper noted that the U.S. score was still not perfect, and that "factors driving down the U.S. score include the risks of social unrest and terrorism, and low public confidence in government."

Source: https://www.ghsindex.org/country/united-states/

Compared to South Korea, who was 9th.
I'm sure I don't need to explain to you that a ranking prior to a pandemic, is not an actual measure of the response during a pandemic.

We're sitting here in this thread complaining about the lack of testing and the length of time it takes to get test results, and then turn around and say "But we ranked #1!"?

According to a study by Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, the U.S. isn't doing so bad: https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/02/27/trum...-coronaviruscovid-19-649-em0-art1-dtd-health/
You do realize that ranking came out in October. It's not a ranking for the current pandemic response.

I don't think it is so surprising that South Korea has the infrastructure for a mass casualty event. They have had tens of millions living within range of a madman's artillery for almost 70 years.

I was texting with a Chinese colleague today and we were comapring notes on isoaltion. During the conversation he said he was not surprised that China, [South] Korea, and Japan handled this better than the US, because they have seen similar events more frequently than the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back