Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
it doesn't, and that's not a projection;)
You know why we don’t talk about Canada or their politics? Because it’s inconsequential to most Americans, irrelevant... We don’t care.

Be nice guys

no l
You know why we don’t talk about Canada or their politics? Because it’s inconsequential to most Americans, irrelevant... We don’t care.
no lockdown here, ICU patients approaching zero, no garbage politics involved! BC is great, you should move here. :)

“The policies have created the greatest global economic disruption in history, with trillions of dollars of lost economic output. These financial losses have been falsely portrayed as purely economic. To the contrary, using numerous National Institutes of Health Public Access publications, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Bureau of Labor Statistics data, and various actuarial tables, we calculate that these policies will cause devastating non-economic consequences that will total millions of accumulated years of life lost in the United States, far beyond what the virus itself has caused.”

Waiting for this mandate

I can tell you as someone that’s had to wear a face mask to work for ~a month now, today is my first day mask-less and wearing a face shield. So much better. Some days I work up to 15 hours , today I’m about 10.5 in and it’s the first day in a month I haven’t been gasping for air half the day. Even with disposable lightweight surgical masks, when I’d hit any level of physical exertion, I was like a fish out of water.

So if given the choice, there’s a clear winner for me. Thankfully I do have the choice. I’d still prefer to wear neither.

Florida:

Population—22,000,000
Income tax—0%
China Virus cases—50,100
Virus deaths—2,200+

New York:

Population—19,500,000
Income tax—8%
China Virus cases—366,350
Virus deaths—29,000+

Seems like one State handed this crisis better than the other... I know, I know wait two weeks on the Florida data...

What’s the point of this comparison? Everyone knows the virus was circulating in the metro NY area weeks before it was even known to be in the US. Are you trying to say that Florida took effective measures that flattened the curve when they saw what was happening in NY? As JB said, population density (& I’ll add, timing) is everything.

What’s the point of this comparison? Everyone knows the virus was circulating in the metro NY area weeks before it was even known to be in the US. Are you trying to say that Florida took effective measures that flattened the curve when they saw what was happening in NY? As JB said, population density (& I’ll add, timing) is everything.
It’s easy to discount what DeSantis has done from afar, but it has been fantastic for those here. Working with Mayors. Allowing flexibility where necessary and the two areas took exact opposite approaches to retirement areas.

I can tell you as someone that’s had to wear a face mask to work for ~a month now, today is my first day mask-less and wearing a face shield. So much better. Some days I work up to 15 hours , today I’m about 10.5 in and it’s the first day in a month I haven’t been gasping for air half the day. Even with disposable lightweight surgical masks, when I’d hit any level of physical exertion, I was like a fish out of water.

So if given the choice, there’s a clear winner for me. Thankfully I do have the choice. I’d still prefer to wear neither.

I can see a kids size for schools until this thing is vanquished.

Weird world.

"Face shields may be easier to wear than masks, he said, comparing them with wearing glasses or a hat. They wrap around a small portion of a person’s forehead rather than covering more than half their face with material that can create the urge to itch.

Many people also wear masks incorrectly, letting them dangle off the tips of their noses, or concealing just their mouths. People also tend to readjust face masks frequently, or remove them to communicate with others, which increases their risk of being exposed or infecting others, he said. And while cloth masks can prevent people from spreading germs to others, they don’t usually protect the wearer from infection.

Face shields can also aid people who depend on lip-reading, Dr. Perencevich said. They may be slightly dorky-looking, but the shields allow facial expressions and lip movements to remain visible, while serving as an obvious reminder to maintain social distancing."

What comparison do you think I’m making?

One of the options our kid's school is considering for August is splitting the classrooms in 2. Half the class go one day, the other half take virtual classes that day. Next day they switch. I prefer that over full virtual by a lot. My girl will be starting Kindergarten so any day she is taking virtual classes one of us has to stop whatever we're doing to help her.

I'm happy for Florida, but It's a tough comparison to make. From memory, the Corona came from Italy with slightly different RNA - may be more virulent than Chinese original. It arrived early and without an announcement, meaning no one knew it had arrived in NYC for some time, giving it plenty of time to infect a very high density NYC population where people were in close proximity to each other on a daily basis.

Lack of knowedge about the virus made it worse; ignorance grew the virus, etc. SIP or Distancing took place too late. I wonder if climate made a difference.

My nephew worked in NYC and got out; quarantined and tested for two weeks before leaving home in Dallas. He said it was nothing but ambulance sirens in NYC.

I'm happy for Florida, but It's a tough comparison to make. From memory, the Corona came from Italy with slightly different RNA - may be more virulent than Chinese original. It arrived early and without an announcement, meaning no one knew it had arrived in NYC for some time, giving it plenty of time to infect a very high density NYC population where people were in close proximity to each other on a daily basis.

Lack of knowedge about the virus made it worse; ignorance grew the virus, etc. SIP or Distancing took place too late. I wonder if climate made a difference.

My nephew worked in NYC and got out; quarantined and tested for two weeks before leaving home in Dallas. He said it was nothing but ambulance sirens in NYC.

Isnt this extremely different than what so many here said previously though, that as a nation we were very late to respond.

The critical part for some in here of that region came with after it was known, advisement to go out to eat, go see a show, etc.

the decisions on retirement centers in that area are still the most baffling thing I have seen to date.

It’s easy to discount what DeSantis has done from afar, but it has been fantastic for those here. Working with Mayors. Allowing flexibility where necessary and the two areas took exact opposite approaches to retirement areas.

I think it’s clear that the difference in approach to the retirement areas has proven to be exponentially important. Credit to DeSantis for making what seems like a no-brainer call (but clearly wasn’t).

You are comparing population, income tax rates, infection counts and death counts. It’s right there in the data points offered.

When my.son was getting ready for a stem cell transplant my wife and I had to wear a mask and glove at all times in the room with him. We were in the room with him at least 20 hours a day for 6 weeks. Try sleeping on a prison mattress while wearing gloves and a mask and hoping your child wakes up tomorrow!!!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Isnt this extremely different than what so many here said previously though, that as a nation we were very late to respond.

The critical part for some in here of that region came with after it was known, advisement to go out to eat, go see a show, etc.

the decisions on retirement centers in that area are still the most baffling thing I have seen to date.

Agree.

And the whole nursing home is even more than what we hear. Since my mother recently died in a nursing home during Covid (but not from Covid), they let us in to say good bye - she was comatose by this time, and we could not even visit our Dad to brief him and he needs a hearing aid, screaming over the phone does not work, this whole thing is frustrating. Can't take him out to get a hearing aid (that he keeps on losing or the dementia patients keep on taking). If we were to take him out for a hearing aid, they would not let him back. Apparently, these docs don't make house calls.

When my.son was getting ready for a stem cell transplant my wife and I had to wear a mask and glove at all times in the room with him. We were in the room with him at least 20 hours a day for 6 weeks. Try sleeping on a prison mattress while wearing gloves and a mask and hoping your child wakes up tomorrow!!!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Yikes. Hope all is well now.

Florida:

Population—22,000,000
Income tax—0%
China Virus cases—50,100
Virus deaths—2,200+

New York:

Population—19,500,000
Income tax—8%
China Virus cases—366,350
Virus deaths—29,000+

Seems like one State handed this crisis better than the other... I know, I know wait two weeks on the Florida data... 😉

What do you hope to achieve by calling it the China Virus vs Covid19?

What do you hope to achieve by calling it the China Virus vs Covid19?
Maybe he's just using the name that most of the mainstream media used for several weeks when this all began?

Maybe he's just using the name that most of the mainstream media used for several weeks when this all began?

Seems like a stretch since it's had a name since at least February.

he's being daft

Ignore the political part of the discussion, that's not my point and not what I'm trying to bring to the discussion. The point is that CNN was referring to it as "the Chinese coronavirus" and admitting that it originated in Wuhan:

Numerous other networks (MSNBC, CNBC, CBS News, PBS) made similar references (again, ignore the political conversation - not the point, not what I'm trying to bring into the conversation, and not why I included it):

Inconvenient truths are inconvenient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back