Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prove it. We can all make up things that fits our world view, some of us just choose not to.
What do you think is fictional? Are you saying CA would NEVER allow illegals into the CA health system, especially COVID cases? Is that your point?

Im confused, they are US citizens, which is what the original article said. Why would we not let them back in for treatment?
Sure someone can speculate that they aren't who they say they are, but that currently is without any merit or facts.
Why would it be hard to track and identify U.S. Citizens?

Every report that you link to says they are citizens. So playing the hypothetical game that they might not be seems odd.

I have no idea on the validity of whether they are or are not US citizens, but more important to me is why are they being counted as US cases if they are coming from Mexico? That just seems to artificially inflate the numbers for the counties they are being treated in.

I have no idea on the validity of whether they are or are not US citizens, but more important to me is why are they being counted as US cases if they are coming from Mexico? That just seems to artificially inflate the numbers for the counties they are being treated in.

I mean, who cares? Are we picking nits or what? In the big scheme of things, does it matter? It probably brings down the death percentage, if anything. Cases are probably undercounted everywhere.

It just looks bad for us because we are supposed to be better at testing and keeping these viruses under control, and we are not in this case. But people in more disciplined societies are doing a better job - we are an unruly, divisive crowd, it is what it is, we are who we are at this time in our history. Hope we get our sh$t together soon.

What do you think is fictional? Are you saying CA would NEVER allow illegals into the CA health system, especially COVID cases? Is that your point?

I think your assertion is fictional, yes. There is a big difference between "would" and "did".

From your article...“'There are a number of U.S. citizens living in Mexicali that will have an address in the United States, because they are U.S. citizens,' Lewis said. 'It’s difficult to track and actually identify them.'” and "Herring, of Imperial County, acknowledged that the region is a bi-national community, but said it is 'difficult to quantify and put an actual number to' how many patients at the hospitals had traveled from Mexico to seek care.'"

Any Riverside County California residents here? I’d be appalled.

Unfortunately, we are now seeing the number of hospitalization rise. Hopefully, the treatment has improved so that the number of death does not resemble the beginning of pandemic.

Well, it's Bad News Monday if True... Herd Immunity not achievable. World is put on a vaccine waiting list.

From the summary:

In light of these findings, any proposed approach to achieve herd immunity through natural infection is not only highly unethical, but also unachievable. With a large majority of the population being infection naive, virus circulation can quickly return to early pandemic dimensions in a second wave once measures are lifted. In addition, the geographical variability and the dynamic of weekly increasing seroprevalence rates during the early phase of the pandemic highlight that these studies are only snapshots in time and space, and reflect the circumstances of the period in which they were done. As we are still in the midst of an unprecedented global health crisis, such seroprevalence data will continue to be necessary for public health authorities to estimate exposure rates, especially in areas with little testing capacity for acute cases. If and when a vaccine is widely available, ongoing seroprevalence studies will be able to provide information about the extent and duration of vaccine-induced herd immunity.

Well, it's Bad News Monday if True... Herd Immunity not achievable. World is put on a vaccine waiting list.

From the summary:

In light of these findings, any proposed approach to achieve herd immunity through natural infection is not only highly unethical, but also unachievable. With a large majority of the population being infection naive, virus circulation can quickly return to early pandemic dimensions in a second wave once measures are lifted. In addition, the geographical variability and the dynamic of weekly increasing seroprevalence rates during the early phase of the pandemic highlight that these studies are only snapshots in time and space, and reflect the circumstances of the period in which they were done. As we are still in the midst of an unprecedented global health crisis, such seroprevalence data will continue to be necessary for public health authorities to estimate exposure rates, especially in areas with little testing capacity for acute cases. If and when a vaccine is widely available, ongoing seroprevalence studies will be able to provide information about the extent and duration of vaccine-induced herd immunity.

Has anyone gotten sick twice?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

The parent company of Men’s Wearhouse and Jos. A. Bank elected not to pay its senior notes on time. They are having a very slow bounce back from covid. 30 days to determine if they want to pay or enter bankruptcy.

They also missed out on all those prom, graduation and wedding suits. I had a friend who worked for Jos. A Bank and spring was their busiest season.

The prevailing consensus is a qualified no. There's still much to learn on that front, however.
"There is no conclusive evidence as yet that people can become reinfected with Covid-19 but researchers are studying thousands of patients to try and reach a definitive conclusion."
"Experts say that the perplexing results don’t necessarily establish that a person can become infected twice, the positive results following negative tests may be a quirk related to the type of test that was used. In the U.S. nearly all the diagnostic tests look for snippets of the virus' RNA or genetic code.

However, according to guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "detection of viral RNA does not necessarily mean that infectious virus is present." In other words, the test may be picking up a piece of the viral RNA that's been left behind, rather than a fully intact, infectious virus particle.

A second positive test after a negative result may mean the virus is simply taking its time leaving the body, doctors said, and is no longer able to infect others. "It's possible that people could shed remnants of the virus for some period of time. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with them or that they are contagious," said Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville."

Unfortunately, we are now seeing the number of hospitalization rise. Hopefully, the treatment has improved so that the number of death does not resemble the beginning of pandemic.

"Texas reported more than 8,000 people hospitalized with Covid-19 on Sunday, a record number of admissions and among the highest in the U.S."

-shocking considering Texas is a pretty small state....
and as has been repeated, it's not covid hospitalizations, it's people in the hospital with covid.

some interesting numbers posted on another forum i frequent.

Total deaths per state (Worldometers) as of 7/6/20 (Deaths per 1 million people in parentheses)

New York: 32,262 (1658)
New Jersey: 15,279 (1720)
Massachusetts: 8,183 (1187)
Illinois: 7,230 (571)
Pennsylvania: 6,805 (532)
California: 6,373 (161)
Michigan: 6218 (623)
Connecticut: 4335 (1216)
Florida: 3778 (176)
Louisiana: 3302 (710)
Maryland: 3246 (537)
Ohio: 2935 (251)
Georgia: 2860 (269)
Indiana: 2698 (401)
Texas: 2675 (92)

Cases Total

NY: 423k
CA: 265k
FL: 206k
TX: 201k
NJ: 177k
IL: 148k
MA: 110k
AZ: 101k

The prevailing consensus is a qualified no. There's still much to learn on that front, however.
"There is no conclusive evidence as yet that people can become reinfected with Covid-19 but researchers are studying thousands of patients to try and reach a definitive conclusion."
"Experts say that the perplexing results don’t necessarily establish that a person can become infected twice, the positive results following negative tests may be a quirk related to the type of test that was used. In the U.S. nearly all the diagnostic tests look for snippets of the virus' RNA or genetic code.

However, according to guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "detection of viral RNA does not necessarily mean that infectious virus is present." In other words, the test may be picking up a piece of the viral RNA that's been left behind, rather than a fully intact, infectious virus particle.

A second positive test after a negative result may mean the virus is simply taking its time leaving the body, doctors said, and is no longer able to infect others. "It's possible that people could shed remnants of the virus for some period of time. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with them or that they are contagious," said Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville."

Next week those people giving off positives after a negative will be able to infect you. In fact they’ll probably definitely maybe eventually be found to be superspreaders.

Hard to believe anything anymore from anybody. I trust my dog to give me the weather. If she comes in quickly and wants to snuggle, it’s cold out. If she comes in quickly and she’s wet, it’s raining. If she stays out so long that I forgot I put her out, I know it’s time to grab my golf clubs and hit the course!

Do you guys have Covid-specific hospitals there as well? The nurse they always interview for the local tv channels is always from the same Covid-specific hospital that was supposed to be for overflow.

From the summary:

Are you giving up that easily? That article has more holes in it than swiss cheese. I wish you hadn't just posted the summary. Its not at all what is therein.

It's great that 80% of us, they suspect, have not had it. But, that, to me, says this isn't as aggressively contagious as they once said. Elder care in our state is darn near 80%. Are they piping it in there? Good grief. "End of the month clearance" as my keenly observant/morbid relatives would say.
More questions than answers with that article. I wouldn't lose any sleep over that one.
The analysis of wastewater seems much more applicable. Seroprevelance has so many variables, they can once again move the goalposts all they want with it.
The question of genetic susceptibility and spread alone means different seroprevelance for some groups than others.

Statistics. A dangerous weapon.

Do you guys have Covid-specific hospitals there as well? The nurse they always interview for the local tv channels is always from the same Covid-specific hospital that was supposed to be for overflow.

Are you giving up that easily? That article has more holes in it than swiss cheese. I wish you hadn't just posted the summary. Its not at all what is therein.

It's great that 80% of us, they suspect, have not had it. But, that, to me, says this isn't as aggressively contagious as they once said. Elder care in our state is darn near 80%. Are they piping it in there? Good grief. "End of the month clearance" as my keenly observant/morbid relatives would say.
More questions than answers with that article. I wouldn't lose any sleep over that one.
The analysis of wastewater seems much more applicable. Seroprevelance has so many variables, they can once again move the goalposts all they want with it.
The question of genetic susceptibility and spread alone means different seroprevelance for some groups than others.

Statistics. A dangerous weapon.

Seriously? It's just saying that not enough people are infected to reach herd immunity -- so far at this time.

You guys can keep on believing or wanting to get sick. I've heard too many horror stories of this sickness and its after-effects that may stay with you the remainder of your life.

Get sick. Go for it.

I'd rather take a more conservative approach.

I think he's just asking a sincere question if people have been getting it more than once.

I liked the part of the Lancet article where it talked about the other coronaviruses that also are in us all the time.

You guys can keep on believing or wanting to get sick. I've heard too many horror stories of this sickness and its after-effects that may stay with you the remainder of your life.

Get sick. Go for it.

I'd rather take a more conservative approach.
My wife had it in March. I slept next to her every single night. My son, has had leukemia twice, also came in contact with her as well. Neither of us have gotten sick. He's 14 so can't get tested, however, I've had both tests twice and they came back negative. Guess I am immune to it all together. Pretty sure I'm not the only one either.

I think he's just asking a sincere question if people have been getting it more than once.

I liked the part of the Lancet article where it talked about the other coronaviruses that also are in us all the time.
It was a legit question. I can only assume that his answer is no. At least he didn't call me a ra.....

One consideration about testing: What are they going to do with your number? What are they going to mandate to you that you must follow as a "positive."
I'll never get tested if I can help it, nor will I ever say that I even think I had it.

One consideration about testing: What are they going to do with your number? What are they going to mandate to you that you must follow as a "positive."
I'll never get tested if I can help it, nor will I ever say that I even think I had it.
Why be afraid of a result?

The Texas Medical Association released a list of activities and relative risk. The only definitive conclusion I can draw is we need to be on the golf course!

Not sure how they came up with it, but I do like that golf is a lower risk activity (like we didn’t already know that!)

Attachments

• 4CD4B4E2-8B2F-44F6-930F-4DDA84B979B7.jpeg
    4CD4B4E2-8B2F-44F6-930F-4DDA84B979B7.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back