Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they got the memo. I was out running errands in one of those counties earlier today and the local full service car wash was absolutely packed, people are out and about like it was Sunday afternoon. Saw a lot of yard service trucks out making their rounds too. Had to go to a couple different grocery stores to get what we needed and people are still buying up all the bottled water and TP for reasons I still don't understand. Maybe they think corona virus works like a hurricane or something. Saw people out on the golf course as I drove by too. Made me wish I was one of them.

When it's 85F and sunny, people want to get out. I did a 40 minute walk and I kept social distancing. I noticed that guys are less likely to keep it - as soon as I saw someone, I got more than 6 feet away. I looked at a trio of women together and they did not want to get too close, although they did not respect social distancing with each other -- weird.

If you need a copy of a letter to edit, let me know.

When the liquor stores are not considered essential except for beer, you turn to other methods. Wife wasn’t taking any chances

C5B80B3E-E71A-480C-A855-0646871FD144.jpeg
Six bottles should hold over for a couple days 😂

I would much rather see it handled on a county by county basis.
County by county makes a lot more sense. A county containing densely-populated urban centers is different from a sparsely-populated rural county, and "one size fits all" measures may not be appropriate for both.

County by county makes a lot more sense. A county containing densely-populated urban centers is different from a sparsely-populated rural county, and "one size fits all" measures may not be appropriate for both.
Yeah, here is a map of the county by county Covid-19 cases. Hennepin County, home of Minneapolis and 100+ cases is dark blue. Far and away the most densely populated part of the state. And while I can see it possibly being necessary there, the rest of the state is relatively unaffected as of yet.

1585085252547.png

I can't imagine how this would effect us if we were still working. I'm sure it would be stressful and my best wished for all in that situation.
Being retired is a whole different situation.

I may have mentioned it on another thread, but our local supermarket opens from 5 to 7 AM three days a week just for seniors. There's actually a cop at the door making sure that only seniors enter the store. It's supposed to limit our exposure in some way.

I went this morning. 5 AM is just as close to a bedtime as it is to a rising time for me, so there was that,
but being with just other elderly people was certainly different. [Well, except for weekday golf at our club.]
We get a chance to buy some toilet paper before the young folks take it all.
I spent nearly four hundred bucks, and considering we've been getting take out two or three nights a week, that's quite a few bags of food for two old people and a dog.
I didn't want to have to go again too soon, because we're talking 5 AM.

One surprise was that prices were normal. There was no gouging or profiteering on the crisis.

Oh, and they don't let us use our own re-useable fabric shopping bags right now. They're not allowed to touch them, so, environmentalists be damned, it was all plastic bags.

Now that there are only 1 million people in my health region, a document they just came out with minutes ago is pretty scary. They say even if they are 50% wrong the numbers are pretty substantial for loss of life and health.
This document assumes only 30% of population is infected.

1585086097529.png

Well.....my wife got the official notice today that she is furloughed indefinitely. One more of thousands and thousands financially impacted. Hitting the non-profit sector really hard.

Yeah, here is a map of the county by county Covid-19 cases. Hennepin County, home of Minneapolis and 100+ cases is dark blue. Far and away the most densely populated part of the state. And while I can see it possibly being necessary there, the rest of the state is relatively unaffected as of yet.
Here is a map of our state with confirmed cases as of today. Maricopa and Pinal Counties contain the greater Phoenix metropolitan area, with a population around 4.7 million. Maricopa County has a population density of 461 per square mile. Greenlee County has a population of around 8,500 for the entire county, with the largest town being 3,300, and a population density of 5 per square mile. Mohave County, the fifth-largest county in the contiguous United States, has a population of around 155,000 and a density of around 6 per square mile.

Greenlee and Mohave counties currently have zero confirmed Wuhan Virus cases, while Maricopa and Pinal counties have a combined 221 confirmed cases. All of those counties have different needs, and to apply a set of 'one size fits all' regulations to all of them would be ridiculous and unnecessary.

COVID AZ 03-24-20.png

As long as you stay in your County and don't let in outsiders ... it may work

“The coronavirus is not mutating significantly as it circulates through the human population, according to scientists who are closely studying the novel pathogen’s genetic code. That relative stability suggests the virus is less likely to become more or less dangerous as it spreads, and represents encouraging news for researchers hoping to create a long-lasting vaccine.”

over a million Canadians applied for EI last week, up from 30,000 normally

stimulus bill stalled by the Opposition in Parliament (wow no idea that was going to happen!:greenalien:)

Getting more and more difficult to keep my 6 yr old away from neighbor kids. She just wants to play and obviously doesn't understand why I keep saying no.

:(
My 5 year old daughter saw the neighbor kids out and she wanted to go play with them soooooo bad. I had to say no and then listen/watch her cry. Not fun

Last edited:

Pretty solid report based on math using what we know from the countries who have seen their peaks and are now on the way back down.

Long, but one of the best things I've personally read regarding quarantine and harsh rules for social distancing.

BC:

78 new cases, 617 confirmed, 59 in hospital (23 in ICU), no new deaths (13 total, 10 at Lynn Valley Care Centre)

173 now "fully recovered"

acute/critical bed capacity at 53-66% (down from 103% typical)

3500+ tests daily

Heard on the way home that WestJet let go 7000 employees?

I'm not exactly a member of the airline fan club, but ouch.

lol. It's a little less complicated here. The entire state is shelter in place unless you're an essential worker.
Which is why the Governor had to order all of the State Parks and beaches closed since they were packed all weekend.
Apparently, CA peeps need to enjoy their CV-19 vacation in close proximity with others. :rolleyes:

Tip of the iceberg. Hopefully it’s temporary & most can get their jobs back when this passes.

I've heard Air Canada could be well above that. They let go 5100 last week and that was basically just cabin crew. Heard there could be thousands again later this week or early next week.

Tip of the iceberg. Hopefully it’s temporary & most can get their jobs back when this passes.
There was something about a lot of early retirements and buyouts and such...but I didn't catch all the details.

Either way, this is very real for soooo many people.

The panic buying is really starting to get to me.

I manage a couple group houses for the disabled, small nonprofit company.

Can't get PPE because it goes to the hospitals first, I get that but my staff is reusing mask until they fall apart.

Can't get forehead thermometers to screen staff when they enter houses, the ones we use have probe covers which are also on backorder everywhere.

Luckily we have a local grocery store that works with us and lifts products limits for when we go grocery shopping but still can't find certain items.

We are ok, well stocked and will get by, I have a great staff....but I like to rant.

Grim find: Bodies of virus victims in Spanish nursing homes

Hope nothing like this happens in the United Sates.

College has announced that the college will be closed to students as of end of day Friday. A week too late, but progress.
In all honesty, the students we have coming in are ignoring all social distancing, lounging around, and there is really no reason to be here except for free wifi.

We figure right now our supervisor is keeping everyone at work until his boss comes out of self-quarantine after travel on Monday. Luckily I have been transferred to help another department who has all sorts of work to do. My old department is super close to the chopping block right now.
If you get sent home, they want you to use vacation time still, which is BS. If you send us home, pay us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back