Could you do single length irons exclusively for one season?

It would be interesting to say the least. Properly fit I could probably do it. I wonder really how much adjustment is necessary to maintain the current HC.

after hitting yours i’m not sure i could. i didn’t mind the short irons, but the longer irons bothered me. i don’t think i could go through a whole season feeling uncomfortable with my clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would only do it if I realized improvement for my game reasonably quickly. If not, no way.

Not at all interested in hoping that my game conforms to new equipment. But that stands for all equipment, not just single-length.

I really want to do this, but I'm not sure I could last an entire season. I have three thoughts on this:

1. Set makeup. We all know about the trajectory differences due to same length. Bryson adapted to this by putting in 2 utility irons in place of his 4 and 5 iron.

2. Wedge length. Something about a 7 iron length lob wedge just seems odd to me. I guess it would lend itself to more square club faced green side shots.

3. Iron usage. When using shotscope and game golf it actually amazed me on how few iron shots you get per round. It makes sense when you think about it only par 3s and approaches. So I could really see it helping by minimizing the number of swings you have to learn.

I don't have a issue with my longer irons, but if ddec sends me a set, I would try it. :act-up: There shouldn't be too much of an adjustment if you've gotten fitted.

Sure, I think I could...biggest adjustment would maybe be wedges???

I'm very intrigued by the single length concept. Being a sweeper, historically I'm plagued by poor ball striking on the vertical plane. Going single length would eliminate one of the variables so I think that could easily game a singe length set for a season.

My instructor uses a regular style set of irons. However, his gap, sand, and lob wedges are spec'd out exactly the same length/weight etc. to eliminate as many variables in the scoring clubs as he can. It seems to work really well for him.

At one point, I had the same length/lie for my 9, PW, GW, SW, LW. Not sure now, but likely at least the same for my 4 wedges. No sure if the 9i is still the same lenght or 1/4" to 1/2" longer.

Not so much single length irons because I do like hitting my wedges. But a hybrid set is something I'm considering for 2019.

Lighter shaft than an iron, more forgiveness all across the face, easy to elevate. I would honestly be in full ponder mode to go up to like an 8 or 9hybrid or something like that.

I am all for people who want to try this though, it does seem cool.

Higher lofted hybrids are just so tough to look at. I think I may have bagged a 6h at one point, but somewhere after that, they just don't fit my eye. I built my little girl a PW hybrid a while back and it's just so difficult to look at...

Sure, no problem. I hit them when they first came out. Longer irons were more comfortable. Shorter irons like the 9 and PW would take a little getting used to but, like anything else I hit, I get over it pretty quickly. The 9 and PW went high...I would have to spend a day or two working on those but I'd be fine with it.

i would love to try the single length irons.
I think the biggest adjustment would be the "short" iron shots.

absolutely. I'm more and more intrigued by them. I need to get somewhere I can hit some.

I would definitely give it a shot. I've considered testing it out, seems like there is more opportunity for a consistent swing with them.

absolutely. I'm more and more intrigued by them. I need to get somewhere I can hit some.

While it's a bit bigger deal than hitting them in a store, Cobra has a trial program for their ONE Length clubs. It's $20 to try any of their OL sets, including custom options. You get 2 weeks to test them, and it sounds like you can get a little more time if needed. Then, either keep them for the full price minus 20, or send them back to Cobra (I think they cover shipping for sending them back too).

I definitely believe I could. Commit to it, go full bore, and see what the results were.

I don't have a issue with my longer irons, but if ddec sends me a set, I would try it. :act-up: There shouldn't be too much of an adjustment if you've gotten fitted.

I almost pulled the trigger on a used set of King Forged OLs, but I think that the KBS Tour FLT 120 shaft is way too different from what I've been fit into.

I'd do it if, I didn't have a dime in it. Be hard for me to drop a good some just to try it and have to do it for a full season. I see it as interesting.

Went and tried a set of f8 one lengths today. My only thoughts were, this is different. I would need to take them outside and put a few range sessions before feeling safe to try and play them on the course. Even though I play my irons short, the long irons being short were more unnerving than the pitching wedge being long. Intrigued, but would probably not like the flight differences.

So I am doing this. I switched a month ago from VL Forged Tecs to the Forged Tec Black One after my league ended. I haven't gotten much course time yet due to weather but have been on the range and in the simulator with them. I plan to practice all winter with them and be ready to go for spring and I'm sticking with it for 2019 no matter what.

I've done a ton of research and reading forum feedback from different sites and the following themes emerged.

1. Many people who try assume they are an easy button. After two range sessions and they don't magically hit every 4 iron perfect, they quit and dump them.

2. Lots of people have not gone past PW or GW and switch back to traditional wedges once they get over 50deg of loft. I am sticking with regular sand and lob wedges.

3. Several instances of trying one length, and then settling into clusters or reduced variation sets. Example, 4-6 at one length, 7-9 at another fixed length, wedges another length or a VL set with only 1/8 or 3/8 increments between clubs.

4. Launch and gapping for low irons can still be an issue for lower swing speeds, but the new Cobra hybrids and Utilities seem to solve it in most cases.

5. Cobra's marketing says one stance, one swing but that has varied results in practice. OL doesn't eliminate all the variables in setup, just reduces them.

I think if you are going to try it, you really need to commit to a full season otherwise your sample size is too small to really assess whether it's for you or not.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd like to say yes but I'm not sure I'd be able to commit for that long if I didn't see results after a few months. I think the concept is interesting for sure. The only place I'd imagine would be really different and require adjustment would be in wedges and getting used to a 7I length in those clubs.

I guess I could. It'd be weird teeing off with an iron every hole and putting with an iron or a wedge, but it could be done.

If someone gave them to me and I were fit for them (and my instructor was fine with it) then sure.

Its not something I see myself trying just because when I messed with the Cobra single lengths at my fitting for my Rouges it wasn't the right club for me at the time. As I get more lessons, more play and get stronger it might be something I move toward.

I'm pretty much one of those people that will hit whatever the fit is best. I prefer Callaway and Project X but if i get data that says something else is better, then that is where I will go.

Yes just did and have no regrets and no plans to go back.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

As I ponder irons for the season, I'm starting to think this could be a great way to go for me. Ponder engaged...

As I ponder irons for the season, I'm starting to think this could be a great way to go for me. Ponder engaged...

I would LOVE to see you take on something like this.
The long term article and updates that could come from it would be sick.

Back