Could you do single length irons exclusively for one season?

Yes, have done it and have really thought about doing it again.

Absolutely. I did it for one season and could easily do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you do single length irons exclusively for one season?

I see a lot of mentions about adjustment and it really confuses me. Everybody swings a 7 iron and doesn't adjust. Its no different than hitting a bunch of 7 irons, right? The larger adjustment would be the idea that every club is a different length, I just think we are programmed a bit.

I agree. I think the adjustment concept is overplayed. I remember the adjustment period for me lasting less than one bucket of balls at the range.

I tinker too much. But part of me would love to try it.

I see a lot of mentions about adjustment and it really confuses me. Everybody swings a 7 iron and doesn't adjust. Its no different than hitting a bunch of 7 irons, right? The larger adjustment would be the idea that every club is a different length, I just think we are programmed a bit.

Oh absolutely - I'd say it's more me getting out of my own head for a bit. I've only tried the "short" irons a few times and that felt odd to me. Weirdly, hitting a 5i that was 7i length took zero time to get used to at demo day.

I would try a set for sure. I demo'd a set last year for a couple range sessions and a round of golf and found them very promising. They were stock stiff shafts however and didn't suit me. Also the lie angles weren't right for me. If I had a set fit for me and got to try out a bunch of different shafts to see which was best, I would do it.

I'm actually about 90% certain I'm going to give it a go for next year. The only problem I've got is that I don't have a fitter around here that comes highly recommended. So I'll most likely self fit and see how it goes.

I have played the Cobra OL for two seasons now. I would say the biggest adjustment was getting used to the flight of the ball from the higher lofted clubs. It was just too high.

It didn't take me long to get used to these clubs. Probably the most difficult was around the greens. Sometimes the club was too long, so I had to choke up to the end of the grip.

I really like these clubs and want to try the new F9s. I will continue to play OL clubs.

I doubt I would, let alone could.

Fully respect the idea and all that it entails, but I look at it the same as a long putter, which I refuse to use. Just my choice, and how I want to play the game.

I could not, I have zero interest in single length

I'm very intrigued by the single length concept. Being a sweeper, historically I'm plagued by poor ball striking on the vertical plane. Going single length would eliminate one of the variables so I think that could easily game a singe length set for a season.

My instructor uses a regular style set of irons. However, his gap, sand, and lob wedges are spec'd out exactly the same length/weight etc. to eliminate as many variables in the scoring clubs as he can. It seems to work really well for him.

As long as they were heads I liked playing then sure. I don't think it would be an issue at all. There would be a slight adjustment figuring out new distances with each club but that is no different than switching between different sets of variable length irons.

No, I am shorter 5'4" and play from a 6i on. The 6i would be nice to have at a 7i length but being a person who shortens all their irons already I couldn't imagine trying to wield a 37" GW.

Absolutely. I had issues with the hybrid when I tried them but it was such an easy transition with the irons for me.

Not so much single length irons because I do like hitting my wedges. But a hybrid set is something I'm considering for 2019.

Lighter shaft than an iron, more forgiveness all across the face, easy to elevate. I would honestly be in full ponder mode to go up to like an 8 or 9hybrid or something like that.

I am all for people who want to try this though, it does seem cool.

I owned the F7 OL and gamed them for a period of time (don't remember how long) and enjoyed my time with them. I could easily game a set of OL for a season. I believe in the methodology.

If I was going to play single length clubs, then yes, I would absolutely stick with them for at least a season. I think switching between single length and variable length would screw me up, so if I was going to do it, I’d find it quite easy. I’m not going to do it though.

So much this.

To answer Deans question, yes. I could and did effectively, this year I played OL irons all season until I felt the need to get used to traditional, and let me tell you: the switch back is harder than the switch to OL.

I don’t think I’d have trouble gaming them for a season. I’m just not sure how much difference it would make in my scores. As much as I would benefit from having a 4, 5, and 6i that would be easier to hit, I think it would be a detriment to me personally having short irons and wedges that are 7i length. But I’d give it a shot just to see how the OL swing would work out for me in the “short” irons.

I've never hit them so I honestly am not sure how I would do.

I wouldn't have a problem dedicating a season to trying out one length irons. I think the biggest adjustment would be the longer wedges on shots that I usually would try to play with some touch around the green.

I just completed a year of One Length and I think the only thing I had to get used to is the trajectory of each One Length club vs Variable. With variable length irons you get slower and steeper as the clubs get shorter and this steepening of your swing has a role in trajectory and descent angle. With your longer variable irons your swing speed increases and swing plain flattens out giving you a lower angle of attack and this cause the ball to launch a bit higher.

When you play One Length, your AoA and speed will be just about the same for every club so the difference in launch will come more from loft and CG location than speed and angle of attack.

If you have a certain window you like seeing each club fly through you just need to make small adjustments to how you deliver loft at impact to create those windows. For myself I played the ball forward more on the longer irons to cause more of a sweeping motion, and I played lower irons / wedges with the ball back some to get a steeper AoA.

Overall, it took about two range sessions to get everything where I wanted. I shot my lifetime personal bests with One Length irons and had a handful of sub 70 rounds. If I had to only play one set of irons for the rest of my life it would be One Length for sure. Practice time is WAY shorter when you play One Length which is why I shot my PB with them, I practiced putting and driving more than irons.

If you do go One Length make sure to get fit, since all the clubs are the same, if ones off.. they are all off =)

I don't think I could. Biggest adjustment would be in the scoring irons for me, and I'm not sure I'd want to make those tougher to hit since I use them the most.

Back