Could you do single length irons exclusively for one season?

I had a set of single length and single weight clubs by Sounder back in 1980....I was turned on to them by Seve playing Sounders. I played pretty well with them but had them stolen out of my car...I didn't replace them

Hoping to find a decent price on a 4i, 5i, and 6i single length iron starter set. I don't want to shell out a lot of money for a trial, and I hit the 7 on up just fine. Black friday is coming soon!!!

hey @Jman you ready yet?

I definitely could, and would love to try. I love the idea.

Last edited:
we should tag @MWard as well. I hear he's been thinking about it.

I'll do it, if I can set them on fire afterwards. You should probably make them Ping irons too so I can shed tears of joy even more as they catch ablaze.

Live look at @MWard as his mind can't process single length as it is a bit preoccupied.

1 8.14.57 AM.jpg

I absolutely could and plan on purchasing One Length in the early spring. I can’t wait. I don’t think there will be much adjustment at all aside from remembering to set up for a 7 iron each time, which will become second nature after a round or two.

Live look at @MWard as his mind can't process single length as it is a bit preoccupied.

View attachment 8980626

Let me know when the amount of players who have been successful with them reach more than 3 players. Maybe we can go into speed and strength required to hit certain trajectories too?

Let me know when the amount of players who have been successful with them reach more than 3 players. Maybe we can go into speed and strength required to hit certain trajectories too?

Oh right, I forgot we are supposed to only follow tour golf.
Otherwise, a TON of them, as they have sold thousands of sets.
I dont have speed or strength of a tour player and have no problem with trajectories and have posted the data.
So has @JDax who doesnt use them.

Oh right, I forgot we are supposed to only follow tour golf.
Otherwise, a TON of them, as they have sold thousands of sets.
I dont have speed or strength of a tour player and have no problem with trajectories and have posted the data.
So has @JDax who doesnt use them.

And that's you. I have said numerous times that they do not work for me. I have **** distance control with the short irons, and the 5 iron doesn't hold a green. As someone who has zero trouble holding greens, I have an issue with that. They simply do not perform for me like they do others. May those who use them be happy.

And that's you. I have said numerous times that they do not work for me. I have **** distance control with the short irons, and the 5 iron doesn't hold a green. As someone who has zero trouble holding greens, I have an issue with that. They simply do not perform for me like they do others. May those who use them be happy.

But you havent tried them since the early launch...Which is what you said.
But to use the idea that going longer in a club means more fat shots, when you have 4" of length difference in your set now doesn't fly.

But you havent tried them since the early launch...Which is what you said.
But to use the idea that going longer in a club means more fat shots, when you have 4" of length difference in your set now doesn't fly.

So I should get CBX wedges, OL irons, and see how 2021 treats my game? How about I just fix a bad habit, which is causing the entire issue to begin with, and then just be happy with my irons and wedges, which were doing just fine before I started trying to hit it farther?

So I should get CBX wedges, OL irons, and see how 2021 treats my game? How about I just fix a bad habit, which is causing the entire issue to begin with, and then just be happy with my irons and wedges, which were doing just fine before I started trying to hit it farther?

Where did I say go more forgiving?
You came into the thread and said you would play them if given to you and then set them on fire. OL isn't a design to get more forgiveness.
Although that video @Canadan shot on CBX showed something interesting...You may want to check that one out.

Where did I say go more forgiving?
You came into the thread and said you would play them if given to you and then set them on fire. OL isn't a design to get more forgiveness.

The Speedback OL is a little thicker than the apex pro. Kinda goes hand in hand that they’d be more forgiving just by default of the iron for comparison. I assumed that was given.

If they wrecked my game, yes, I would want to set them on fire. That’s a fair response to years of work negatively affected.

The Speedback OL is a little thicker than the apex pro. Kinda goes hand in hand that they’d be more forgiving just by default of the iron for comparison. I assumed that was given.

If they wrecked my game, yes, I would want to set them on fire. That’s a fair response to years of work negatively affected.

Why would years of work be negatively impacted? You have and use a 7 iron.
And they make OL in Forged TEC.

Yikes...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Why would years of work be negatively impacted? You have and use a 7 iron.
And they make OL in Forged TEC.

Yikes...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Then I look forward to the next OL testing then.

As far as wrecking my game, it very well could. Wouldn’t know till they came in, would I?

I have a borrowed set of single length irons I'm going to put some time in with. Maybe 2-3 months worth.

During this 2-3 month period is enough time for me to make an informed decision. 3-4 hundred swings (practice/play) a week is more than enough time.

A years worth of play/practice wouldn't do me much good, unless they became my everyday gamers.

Depending on what I find out using them during this time period, could have a big impact on any future purchases I might make.

I honestly have no idea. I don't think I could commit to the concept without at least being able to get some on course testing done with say a 5 iron and a 9 iron to see how different it would be. I believe all the fitting carts (at least around here), only have a 7 iron available. I just don't think I would be able to drop the $1k+ to try it. I mean, it's an interesting concept and in theory, I imagine it would work fine. But, I don't know how my brain would react and if it would be too big of a mental hurdle for me to overcome.

Yes I could. I'm sure it would be a little weird at first having the wedges longer but after a little time to adjust I think that could be overcome. The 58* would be weird having longer though as I pretty much only use it out of the bunker or when a flop to a tucked pin is needed. It would be interesting to see if going with and 8i length vs. 7i would make any difference. My 8i is probably my favorite club behind my PW and the length of it feel great for some reason.

Back