Could You Go Side Saddle?

it would be fun to play around with like when I tried out a claw grip, but in the end I doubt I would putt better.

I was going to say that I didn’t recall you putting this way when we played?

@Hamfist shares my love of Imperial Stouts so it’s entirely possible you did putt that way though, but I THINK I would have noticed, lol.

I do remember @ntanygd760 expanding my vocabulary so I think I’d remember.

Good seeing you active on here!
6-8 week trial, my putting is like a roller coaster back to conventional at the moment.

Surely it is not illegal. All I can think of is, given there is no history of the sport. Somebody entirely new to the concept of putting. Would he place him self facing the target or have it beside him. Think of a free throw, bowling, darts.

Too much mechanical shenanigans in putting these days. just use reverse overlap so your dominant hand is on the grip and trust your hand to eye coordination. Like pitching pennies.

Surely it is not illegal. All I can think of is, given there is no history of the sport. Somebody entirely new to the concept of putting. Would he place him self facing the target or have it beside him. Think of a free throw, bowling, darts.
I typically had it to my side while looking at the target as to not stand on the line, the rest comes down to USGA requirements as far as how the shaft comes from the head and required bends

The forward facing concept really begins with that entire thought

I haven't read a single post in this thread, but I'm jumping in to say heeelllllll no. Id probably fall over and get a penalty or something.

I haven't read a single post in this thread, but I'm jumping in to say heeelllllll no. Id probably fall over and get a penalty or something.
I actually thought of you with this. Yeah I know that’s weird.

I actually thought of you with this. Yeah I know that’s weird.
It took me 12 years to be a terrible putter, using conventional methods. The last thing I need is to a) make putting harder and b) look stupider than I already do.

Nah. Hopefully, I never get that desperate.

no, i putt pretty well the regular way

It took me 12 years to be a terrible putter, using conventional methods. The last thing I need is to a) make putting harder and b) look stupider than I already do.
But if you break it down and take out all traditional thinking, wouldn’t it make sense in putting to be facing the target?

I'd try it on a practice green just to see how weird it felt.

It’s funny reading through the comments. To each his own off course. But I haven’t seen a single reason which let make traditional putting more sense as side saddling.

to not want to switch I can comprehend. To Indicate that the method is inferior I can not comprehend. Certainly without having given it a try.

When looking at it objectively, I can only conclude side saddle has to be the winning method. But it will take practice to make it perfect.

It’s funny reading through the comments. To each his own off course. But I haven’t seen a single reason which let make traditional putting more sense as side saddling.

to not want to switch I can comprehend. To Indicate that the method is inferior I can not comprehend. Certainly without having given it a try.

When looking at it objectively, I can only conclude side saddle has to be the winning method. But it will take practice to make it perfect.
One could say the same thing about One Length.

I've been putting side saddle for just shy of 2 years now. It takes a little time for distance control to translate over. Those who try it for a round or a couple shots on the practice green won't really get a chance for your body to adjust all your previous feel and control over. Plus you want a putter that is designed for it, most have too low of a lie angle. When I switched I made a commitment (to myself) to stick with it for 6 month minimum. Yes my buddies did give me ****. Yes when I started sinking more putts inside ten feet they did say "ok, maybe it's not so bad". I still have times of struggle when I'm just off but overall I have my distance dialed in pretty well and am happy with my choice and plan to putt this way indefinitely.

I’d say big No....I already have enough challenges with my Tim Conway look (short legs/long shorts) so I don’t need my putter to make me look more ridiculous 🤪.

I’ve tried it messing around with a buddy’s side saddle putter & I putted worse with it. Granted it was only a few minutes but the “view” would take some getting used to.

For those who say yes or no, and never tried it, how can you be so sure? I could probably get the job done, it would just take some practice. Although, I wouldn't go that route unless it started to catch on and was proven to be a better method for some people. I don't know why they put that obnoxious music on that Instagram video, it makes it hard to watch. :poop:
Your obnoxious is my amazing

I know what happened and what he said at the time. Given what we know about his personality, if he thought it was the best way I think he’d continue pursuing it.

As for the stats, the 2017 season he attempted to use it he was 145 in strokes gained putting. The switch to arm lock has been much better and the tweaks he’s made along the way to head and shaft really made a big difference.

BDC SGP:
2018 - 32nd
2019 - 28th
2020 - 10th
Yeah he has gotten better at putting, but it is subjective at best to say that it is solely due to him switching to a traditional putter. He would’ve gotten better with side saddling as well at the rate he works. His statements on him abandoning it, which you have read, are very clear and concise. To say that he hasn’t gone back to it cause this is better is a leap. He has stated very clearly that the growth of the game is in side saddling and that he doesn’t feel like dealing with the USGA. I 100% think he would’ve achieved the same stats and improved in the same way with his side saddle putter.

Last edited:
There aren't tons of threads on this topic so I thought it'd be fun to bump this one. Before getting selected for the Morgan Cup I was gaming a Bomar and really enjoying it. Since Cobra doesn't have a broomstick in their lineup I put this style on the shelf for this year.

I had a Stability long shaft in my Bomar which I pulled and sold to pay for a regular Stability shaft for the Cobra, so the Bomar head had been sitting on a shelf for a few months. Got the itch to build something this weekend so I installed the old steel shaft back in. I also cut down the shaft from 44.5" to 43" and installed a JumboMax 21" pistol armlock grip I had bought but never used. This grip allows the flat surface facing the hole like Bomar promotes while having grip to grip on the lower hand.

I think my putting stats are +/- the same between conventional and side saddle, and I'm quite happy with the Cobra, but it was fun to roll a few side saddle again. I'll remain loyal to the conventional Cobra this year for Morgan Cup victory reasons, but might have to have a shootout next spring for which style I go with.

I was using a Cobra Agera armlock from Aug of last year until the Quest Cup. AL against back arm with stance about 60 degrees open so almost still SS. At Quest Koske set up the laser and I was aiming left with that set up. Came home and set up laser and with my long putter side saddle lined up right at target so switched back.

I was using a Cobra Agera armlock from Aug of last year until the Quest Cup. AL against back arm with stance about 60 degrees open so almost still SS. At Quest Koske set up the laser and I was aiming left with that set up. Came home and set up laser and with my long putter side saddle lined up right at target so switched back.
In college I putted with an extreme open stance as I found I could see the line and have a better stoke that way for whatever reason. Was a stepping stone to side saddle in hindsight.

Back