Could You Hate Iron Covers Less?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Here me out. It has become almost normal for custom driver covers, custom putter covers and even more covers in bags with hybrids.

Yet iron covers are still so hated. Could they be less hated if iron covers were not all generic crap? Meaning if they had skulls on them or weird 80s references? Or maybe 3 red dots which signifies both a liquor store in the south and a putter designer.

What do you think?

F5A5D70B-72BF-4727-BB05-7436D02C3771.gif

I don't know if I could. There's something therapeutic about the rhythmic chatter of irons in a bag.

My neighbor who is one of my best friends uses them.........I kid him about them. He thinks I'm just being funny. I'm not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't hate them. I used to use them, but kept losing them. Not my cup of tea any more.

I think they would be less hated however, unlike driver or putter, there's more than just 1 of them. The ability to customize/personalize a singular driver or singular putter or even a hybrid is much more common than calling out a 6 iron from all the other irons as needing a "special hat". Plus there's a concept that they are heavy chunks of metal and don't need protection unlike the prom queen ( putter ) or the star quarterback ( driver ).

That being said, I do have a set of generic ones that I only use for travel purposes. Once I get to where I am golfing, they come off until the clubs get packed up again.

Nope. Not a fan, never will be

I've never used them, nor has players that I play with. But, that being said, I do think more would be in use if there were some cool looking covers. I wouldn't want them like loudmouth pants or anything, but themed covers, brand specific, wouldn't be too much to handle.

Here me out. It has become almost normal for custom driver covers, custom putter covers and even more covers in bags with hybrids.

Yet iron covers are still so hated. Could they be less hated if iron covers were not all generic crap? Meaning if they had skulls on them or weird 80s references? Or maybe 3 red dots which signifies both a liquor store in the south and a putter designer.

What do you think?
The funny thing is, I still don't think iron covers bother me, as long as it doesn't take someone forever to get a clubhead on them.

All that said, I think there could be BIG improvements on how they look, and companies could have a lot of fun with it.

I got some for my Srixons when they were new. I use them only for traveling to and from the course. I take them all off and leave them in the trunk. Not hating on them, just using them for the sole purpose of traveling. Having a 14-way bag cuts down on chatter while on the course, so I don't need them.

I still use mine. Someone asked me why when I got all my clubs for free, stern reply was that it doesn’t make them any less valuable to me than the ones I buy.
Don’t need that crap in my life

Iron covers get a bad rap. Nothing wrong with the Club Glove covers. They are good quality, reasonable priced and don't fall off. And no, it does not slow down the pace slipping them off and on irons.

I'm not sure I can hate iron covers any more than I do. So I suppose that implies I could hate them less.

If you like them you like them. The only way this were to be "commonly" accepted would be to include them with the set. otherwise very gimicky.

If someone were to rock them, stay away from the fancy leather customs and get these...

1589211303657.png1589211361285.png

What do you think?

Some people just need something to hate. That won't change.

I'm currently gaming these...

20200511_103212.jpg

I think they would be less hated however, unlike driver or putter, there's more than just 1 of them. The ability to customize/personalize a singular driver or singular putter or even a hybrid is much more common than calling out a 6 iron from all the other irons as needing a "special hat". Plus there's a concept that they are heavy chunks of metal and don't need protection unlike the prom queen ( putter ) or the star quarterback ( driver ).

That being said, I do have a set of generic ones that I only use for travel purposes. Once I get to where I am golfing, they come off until the clubs get packed up again.

But is it only one? By the time someone (meaning the majority of golfers) has one for their driver. Two for FW woods. 1-2 for hybrids and one for putter, it is nearly 50% of the bag, right?

I'm a scientist, I never speak, tend to refrain from speaking in absolutes. That said, I still own my cheesy rubber iron covers from the late 80s. They live a solitary life buried deep in a forgotten box in the back of a closet. I highly doubt that I would resurrect them from the closet dungeon or put a modern take on iron covers to use.

Last edited:
I think most know that I am a big believer and user in iron covers.

I do think if people had custom or unique fun Iron covers, more people would use and accept.

Say, you had a set of Pac-Man iron covers with the Ghosts for short irons, or a set of Donkey Kong, or something else that people in their 30-50's relate to, I think they would be BIG sellers.

I have a set of knit blue iron covers and I really like them. They're a bit different, and I'm missing one for a wedge. But I like them, and there are several that look better than some of the "custom" driver covers I've seen.

But is it only one? By the time someone (meaning the majority of golfers) has one for their driver. Two for FW woods. 1-2 for hybrids and one for putter, it is nearly 50% of the bag, right?

Possibly. Depends on your bag make up I suppose. For me, its 4 covers total: Dr, 5w, 3h, putter. I have no doubt if some of the custom cover vendors decided to throw out whole iron set covers, people would buy them. I would not. I like the clean look of consistent irons seperating dr/fw/hy and putters. Makes for a nice thirds from a design perspective. :D

Swag should put out 50 of them. If the sell in seconds. You know it can be done.

Like most things in the game of golf (or even life if we want to go deeper), if it doesn't impact me, I don't care. Unless it slows someone down noticeably during a round I don't care if he has head covers on his irons, or pasties on his nipples.

JB's got a point here folks: between my driver, fairway, 3 hybrids and putter I have six clubs with headcovers on them. That only leaves seven irons in the buff.

Full disclosure: I have on two occasions (when first obtaining new clubs) used the Club Glove covers but soon thereafter discontinued their use. Not because I was mocked or anything, but more from a convenience factor. Sure, the covers were easy on/off, but you had to mindfully put it in your pocket after removal, then if you needed to wipe the club after making your shot it just seemed to make the process that much more "involved" in some way. Besides, I also discovered that I enjoy the chatter of clubs as I stride down the fairway to my ball.

Drivers, woods and hybrids usually use covers (IMO) in order to protect the paint and/or design finish of the club, as these clubs generally have a much larger surface area so manufacturers use this to differentiate their product from the competition. Putters, well they are generally viewed as a "finesse" club, so we don't want to be looking down at a club that looks like it's been rolling around in someone's trunk. Also putters can be a serious investment money wise; most people who buy high-end products (ie. cars) tend to make provisions to make sure they remain as new as possible.

Here's a thought: if you compare the cost of clubs on a per-club basis does it then make sense that the driver/woods/putter deserve protection?

Back