We have quite a few excellent courses here but I've played them all except for two:
-Hickory Hills CC. Exclusive old $club so I need better friends. No idea if actual course is great but am intrigued because of the HOFers who developed their games there.
-Payne's Valley. We had a group (3 or 4? consecutive tee times) all lined up to play it just after the Tiger, JT, Rory, Rose debut but the course cancelled us the night before. Too much rain. It's since been closed for the winter but I'm roughing out details to play it two, maybe three times, after it reopens this spring.

Moraine Country Club
But in real world it would be Browns Run as it just opened to the public not to long ago.
I was just thinking, NCR, Dayton CC, and Moraine CC as well... almost got to NCR a few years ago. My son's HS golf coach had us set to play but a huge storm shut it down...

There had been two private courses that were in this category but I was able to get on both this past season.

Edit - I’m wrong and stupidly so. Portland Golf Club is like 5 miles from me and it’s the last private in the city I haven’t played. PGC hosted a Ryder Cup amd PGA Championship in the 1940s, a senior US Open in the 1980s and several other prominent events. I would love to play PGC.

Last edited:
I was just thinking, NCR, Dayton CC, and Moraine CC as well... almost got to NCR a few years ago. My son's HS golf coach had us set to play but a huge storm shut it down...
I’ve manage to play NCR twice in scrambles managed to play both courses in total.

I am hoping I can run into someone this season who would like to invite me there haha. My old firm did a project at the clubhouse that we had another engineer working on. I wish I would have been on it, might have scored an invite that way!

Dang! That would have been your chance for sure.

Cordillera Ranch, a Texas Hill Country Course located in Boerne TX (NW of San Antonio). This is a Jack Nicklaus designed course. It's definitely at the top of my local course bucket list but totally private.
Cordillera Ranch 16.PNG

I've got 4 years of eligibility left!

I think Wynn is worth playing, but the cost is the question. I got on without getting a room, but then again I didn't have to pay for the round either. One of my buddies knew a guy that caddied there and he got us on. We just had to pay the caddy fee.

Cascata is incredible. Definitely play there if you can. Because of Covid and the lack of high-rollers coming to town, they've been running a lot of resident specials. It was $125 + caddy gratuity (they recommend $50), so $175 total. Still more than I like to pay for a round, but its worth it once or twice a year.

4 years of eligibility left...what are you waiting for?! 😁

And appreciate the info! I'll probably hold off on Wynn unless there's some sort of deal with the hotel. Cascata will be on the short-list however (y)

Ha ha. there is no course within 30 minutes of me that I have not played.

4 years of eligibility left...what are you waiting for?! 😁

And appreciate the info! I'll probably hold off on Wynn unless there's some sort of deal with the hotel. Cascata will be on the short-list however (y)
A few of my friends have played Cascata and they all say it’s an amazingly good course.

Had my tee time queued up last night for next Sunday since I was up at midnight at Corica. Got an 815 AM tee time in my cart and my log in didn't sign in and by the time I got in someone had sniped it. Ended up booking another course that I haven't played that is supposed to be nice. Blue Rock Springs - West course. I played the East course and it was great. Guy I played with played both all the time and said as good as the East was he liked the West way more.

Had to think a little bit about this. I've played Youngstown CC, Squaw Creek CC, Avalon Lakes, Trumbull CC, Tippecanoe CC, which are all the private clubs in the area, except for one! The Lake Club I have never been able to play! Another might be New Castle CC, just across the state line in PA. It's the only Tillinghast layout in the immediate area. But, this has become doable. The parent company, Avalon Lakes, now owns 6 or 7 formerly private, equity courses in the area, They have an interesting business model. If I show up at Avalon Lakes with a hundy and a half in my pocket, guess what? I can play! As a non-member! They now own New Castle CC!

Plus, there's an outfit called Penn Ohio Golf Trails, who is local, and yet I didn't find out about them until last year. They book stay & play, or just play packages at a ton of NE Ohio and NW PA courses. I'll be checking them out this year to see what I can book for my buddies and me!

Walden on Lake Conroe. Never had a chance to play it but it recently went from private to semi private so that’s got to be a sign. Once it’s warmer though because lake golf right now ain’t nobody got time for that.

The Honors. Private and $$$ for my budget.

Played all the public courses in Chattanooga and there are several private courses that I could probably swing an invite if I pestered the right people, but The Honors is the one I’ll never get to play a round. Have several friends that work/worked there and have told me forget it, ain’t happening.

Squire Creek CC

What course is relatively close to you (let's say with in 30 minutes) that you have never played, but wanted to?
Karsten Creek 😭

Palma Ceia Golf and Country Club...

This year I'm hopeful.

Colonial Country Club in Ft. Worth Texas - I live about 25mins away from it.

Duke University in Durham, NC.

Next week we move into our new home in Oakcreek, AZ. We play at Oakcreek CC and Sedona Golf Resort all the time (playing at SGR on Saturday) but haven't played at Seven Canyons yet.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

The Honors. Private and $$$ for my budget.

Played all the public courses in Chattanooga and there are several private courses that I could probably swing an invite if I pestered the right people, but The Honors is the one I’ll never get to play a round. Have several friends that work/worked there and have told me forget it, ain’t happening.

There's a course like that in this area. Kirtland Country Club, basically east and a little south of Cleveland, is legendary around here! When I was selling fine wine, I called on a customer whose husband was the pro at Kirtland! OMG! I started hinting around and hinting around, but she didn't seem to be picking up on it. So, one day, I asked her straight out if there was any way that her husband could get me on the course. No way! That place is seriously private, and if you're not a member, you're not playing there!

I've played every course within an hour of where I live.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Back