Craziest Shot You Ever Saw

Caper

Reaction score
Handicap
Inspired a shot that a buddy of mine hit this past weekend, I thought I would start this thread. Could be a shot you hit, a friend hit, group behind/ahead of you, or even one by the pros. Basically, a shot that you feel could not be duplicated or replicated again.

Here is mine. Playing in a scramble this past weekend, our best drive on the par 4, 5th hole, ended up being in the trees on the left. The other one was long gone in the woods on the right. We had basically no shot out, so I chipped even further left to the #3 fairway. Since my shot was safe, my partner decided to try to play through the trees to the fairway. There were about 30-50 trees in his way and no straight line or clear path out. Just trees everywhere. He was also standing with his back resting against the trunk of the tree. He hit a shot that looked like something from the Matrix, drawing around every tree and landing in the middle of the fairway, 100 yards away, with 100 yards in. We (he) hit to 3 feet from there and tapped in for par. If I didn't see it, I wouldn't believe it. Next time I am on that hole I will take a picture of what he hit through.

haha is this "Craziest shot" in a good way, or a bad way?!

Awful: After mocking my dad for stinging a drive through a flock of geese without hitting a single one only a week before, his friend proceeded to 'miss' his drive shank style, hitting a goose about 15 feet away, ricocheting into ANOTHER goose 2 feet away from that, killing them both instantly. Karma says what?

Awesome: I have a friend who seems to miss a lot of shots (by way of not hitting them pure) but rarely gets into trouble because of it. We have a par 3 on my course that is 95% over water and he managed to skip the ball a handful of times with another low screaming 'miss' of his, hitting a rock as it neared the bank and landing within probably 10 feet of the hole. Better lucky than good I guess.

Not as awesome but noteworthy: I have seen low screamers crank off the pin and become fairly easy putts and they always entertain me. My favourites are the ones that hit the flag itself on the fly and drop into tap in length.. Doesn't happen often, but I celebrate it when I see it haha!

I watched a guy hit one realllllly thin like a rocket over the green. It proceeded to smack into a weather shelter at about 100mph, ricochet straight back to the green and ended up about 20ft from the hole.

Edit: Just remembered one I skipped across a pond onto a par 3 for birdie. And by skipped, I mean like six times, landed on the bank, kicked up and onto the green.

Last edited:
Playing a match last year I hit a hybrid off the tee and pushed in into the woods. I was about 100 yards out after that tee shot and was lucky enough to find my ball (330 yard uphill par 4, this was) and I decided I needed to get close to the green from where I was, which was fairly thick woods. I had a spot to punch the ball through with a PW that was about, oh, probably the size of the computer screen you are reading this on, so I went for it. I hit it and never heard a thing. I look at my opponent who is standing on the hill watching and his eyes were huge. I had hit the ball to about 5 feet off the green, and 2 putted for par :D

Craziest one I ever SAW:
Golf Team member hit our 550 yard par 5 in 2: Driver - Driver....

Saw a playing partner chip in from about 60yds out. Not that crazy in itself. The "crazy" part was that it ricocheted off of my ball that was already on the green. Maybe it was a "you had to be there moment?"

Great idea for a thread.

The other night our threesome decided to play a few more holes after the turn. After playing 13 we decided to skip over and play 18 before it got completely dark. One of my friends suggested hitting an approach to the 17th green from the cart path near the 13th green. The 145-yard shot would be from the rough, over some trees, a creek, and a sand trap. It was too dark to see where our balls landed, but when we got up to hole there were only two balls on the green. We assumed one of the shots went long, but after looking for a minute or two my friend decided to look in the hole. There it was. He had holed a 145-yard shot on the fly from an area where he, nor anyone else who had ever played that hole, had ever been before. I told him it was the greatest shot I never saw, and also the best shot that didn't count for anything. You just never know in this game.

Inspired a shot that a buddy of mine hit this past weekend, I thought I would start this thread. Could be a shot you hit, a friend hit, group behind/ahead of you, or even one by the pros. Basically, a shot that you feel could not be duplicated or replicated again.

Here is mine. Playing in a scramble this past weekend, our best drive on the par 4, 5th hole, ended up being in the trees on the left. The other one was long gone in the woods on the right. We had basically no shot out, so I chipped even further left to the #3 fairway. Since my shot was safe, my partner decided to try to play through the trees to the fairway. There were about 30-50 trees in his way and no straight line or clear path out. Just trees everywhere. He was also standing with his back resting against the trunk of the tree. He hit a shot that looked like something from the Matrix, drawing around every tree and landing in the middle of the fairway, 100 yards away, with 100 yards in. We (he) hit to 3 feet from there and tapped in for par. If I didn't see it, I wouldn't believe it. Next time I am on that hole I will take a picture of what he hit through.

Wow. Awesome shot and great thread.

For me, the craziest shot would have to be a shot of my own. It was December and VERY cold out, but we decided to go play because I was only home from college for a couple weeks. All of the water hazards were frozen solid and it actually snowed on us for a couple holes. On the Par 3 #17 you have to hit over water to a tough green. I told them I was going to hit off the ice and onto the green, a bank shot. The hole was about 140ish yards that day, so I chose PW to land short on ice. Well, I called it! It bounced off the ice and finished about 8ft from the hole, and I made the putt. An Icy Birdie.

Also that day, I hit a ball that went about 4 ft onto the "water" hazard. I checked the ice and it was probably 6+" thick, so I hit my shot off of the ice onto the green. Here is a pic, please don't comment on apparel, I know its bad lol. I was home from college and we were freezing so we just wore whatever we could find that would keep us warm.

photostream

My most recent crazy shot was this past Saturday. My ball ended up on the right side of the fairway, about 2' behind a good sized cedar tree. I elected to try a huge cut shot with my 4-iron even though the fairway slopes downhill from my location. To my partner's amazement, I pulled off the shot and ended up making par on the hole (par 5).
One of my best that I can remember came at Glenwood Country Club (in Glenwood, AR) on the par 4 18th hole. The hole is narrow with tree lined fairways, with my tee shot finding the trees on the right. There was one opening about 3' wide that would require a slight draw (not my shot at the time) to make to to the green. I executed the shot to near perfection, narrowly missing an eagle and leaving myself a short birdie putt. That birdie remains the only time that I've shot less than bogey on what has become my nemisis hole at that course.

My friend was playing a match and his opponent hit his tee shot on a par 3 onto a frozen green, the ball bounced through the green, hit a step and came back straight into the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 5 years ago I was golfing with a few buddies. We came up to a par 3. My friend completely topped his first shot... it literally rolled about a foot off of the tee box (like 10 yards). His next shot landed on the green, took one bounce, and landed in the hole. It had to have been the greatest birdie I've ever seen on a par 3! I just remember him collapsing to the ground in shock...it might as well have been a hole-in-one from that distance...haha.

so mine is actually a combination of 2 shots. im on 17 and there is water to the right so naturally i hit this horrible slice and its heading right toward the water. it strikes the rocks around the ponds and bounces back right into the middle of the fairway. Now i was just out playing with my buddy so i decided a "do-over" was in order since i has not happy with the contact. So take 2 and i hit this slice (now i dont i have ever hit a slice before in my life) and right toward all the trees it goes. It hits a tree and bounces right into the middle of the fairway within 5 ft of the first shot. I decided i should just play from that spot.

Couple weeks ago in our Sunday Loop group behind us the one guy was hitting a low punch to the green from under a tree. I kid you not the ball ends up hitting the rope to keep the carts from the green and stops right there. Couldn't hit that shot again with a million chances.

Yoccos Drag putt a 72 footer for Eagle!

damn that was sick

The one that sticks out the most is when a group of us were playing a couple years ago and my buddy Robert, who is about an 8 handicap, hooked one in the trees on a short par 4. We all go in the trees to help him find his ball and after about 3 mins everyone except Robert gives up search and suggests he take a drop. Determined to find it he probably spent close to the full 5 mins looking for it and since we were riding together I helped in the search. He spots the ball and has what in my opinion was nothing more than a punch out back in the fairway. He had a bunch of trees between him and the hole and probably around 120 yards. I could tell he was going to go for it though and he pulls a 5 iron and hits a punch fade through a small gap and the ball ends up around 8 feet from the hole. Makes the birdie put and gets back in the cart. Here I am laughing about about it and he asked what was so funny so I told him "I thought you were dead in the trees there and you make a birdie!". He looks at me as serious as can be and says, "I had a gap in the trees".

Saw a guy thin one into a telephone poll that was a good 20yds in front of him and to the side, the ball ricocheted right back and hit him in the mouth. A couple of his teeth went through his upper lip, we didn't finish the round.

Saw a guy throw a club down in anger, the shaft broke in two and one end bounced up and stuck in his arm. A water fountain erupted from his arm and he was rushed to the hospital.

Think twice next time before you try that hero shot or throw a club!

Great idea for a thread.

The other night our threesome decided to play a few more holes after the turn. After playing 13 we decided to skip over and play 18 before it got completely dark. One of my friends suggested hitting an approach to the 17th green from the cart path near the 13th green. The 145-yard shot would be from the rough, over some trees, a creek, and a sand trap. It was too dark to see where our balls landed, but when we got up to hole there were only two balls on the green. We assumed one of the shots went long, but after looking for a minute or two my friend decided to look in the hole. There it was. He had holed a 145-yard shot on the fly from an area where he, nor anyone else who had ever played that hole, had ever been before. I told him it was the greatest shot I never saw, and also the best shot that didn't count for anything. You just never know in this game.

WOW!!! What are the chances? Although in golf, sometimes the chances don't matter one bit.

Here is one I have never seen, but heard about on several instances. Folks, you cannot make this up:

My father does not golf. He has played 3 times in the last 25-30 years. His very first time, first hole, first shot ever was one of the best I ever heard. He was golfing with a group who have played all their lives and had to ask what club to hit on the first hole. It was a 600 yard par 5 so naturally they suggested a driver might be the best choice. He proceeded to tee it up and take a few practice swings. His playing partners said the swing looked good and told him to hit. He winds up, takes his swing, and makes golf history. He hit it on the very toe of the driver, the ball went immediately right on a 90* angle, hits the wooden yardage sign on the hole, ricochets back narrowly missing the heads of the guys he is playing with, bounces about 50 yards on the cart path, someone opens the door to exit the proshop at the exact moment that the ball arrives at the door and it bounces in and lands on the foot of the pro.

He walked in to get it and the pro gave him a hard time saying he had to play it as it lies. My father know nothing about golf, who still had the driver in hand, proceeds to wind up. Thank God the pro grabbed the shaft before tragedy ensued.

That is a shot I would have paid money to see.

I step up to the tee with water all the way down the left side and hitting a draw at the time set up to hit down the right edge. Hit a nice one and it gets past all the woods on the right almost, the last tree it could hit it does 50 yards off the trunk straight out into the lake. My cousin immediately starts giving me crap as I have lost so many I am down to one ball so I bet dinner that she can't hit the fairway, she steps up and pulls one straight out over the water where it hits a large granite boulder sticking up out of the water about five feet around and twenty yards offshore, it bounces 90* back toward the fairway where it lands dead center about 150 out from the green.

I thinned my second shot on a long par 4 into the water. Rather than drop back to almost 200 yards for a level lie in the fairway I drop about 100 yards out onto the downslope. I setup nicely and then in my downwing I loose my footing and thin the ball hard. Its a low liner that hits the pin up in the flag area and then comes down and lands right in cup for my par lol.

A few years ago I was playing a short par 4 with the green fronted by water (the water was about 20 foot wide)...A buddy had about 60 yards to the green...He hit a really fat sand wedge. The ball flew right into the middle of the water, struck a turtle and bounced up on the green....If I didn't see the shot/turtle, I wouldn't have believed it....

Par 3 with a power line running across the hole about mid way. Hit a great shoot, ball hit the power line and went straight down.

I was hitting golf balls at my school once and bet a guy $50 that I could hit an electric pole from about 175 away. Nailed it dead on. I could not do that again after 1000 more shots if I tried.

Years ago, when my wife was still playing golf, we were playing the 9th hole. It is a par 3. It's 167 from the whites and only 100 for the ladies. My wife pulled out her driver. I started to say something, but common sense overcame me. Never, NEVER try to suggest to your wife ANYTHING on the course!!!

Well, she smacked that ball with one of her best drives of the round. It flew well over the green, hit the restaurant wall on the fly above the ac unit, and bounced all the way back to the green! She missed her birdie putt, but made par!!! For several years her ball mark above that ac unit was there until they re-sided the building!!!

We got a mid-40s day in Feb. after a long cold spell. 188-yard par 3, all over water. 176 to carry water, 178 to front of green. A friend topped a 5w. It bounced a million times on the ice, climbed the bank, hit the flagstick and disappeared in the hole.

Lots of ridiculous shots witnessed throughout the years! Both crazy good and crazy bad!

Back