Ryan555

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I'm used to being one of, if not the only one, who went through Scouts. I started off in Tiger Cubs when I was in first grade and moved all the way through, becoming an Eagle Scout shortly before my 18th birthday. I was fully involved in everything from the beginning, earning as much as I could and going to everything I could. I firmly believe that if it weren't for Scouts, I wouldn't be the man I am today. So, tuesday evening I signed my 7 year old son up for scouts. I cannot express how much I am looking forward to going through this with him. I am so excited that I have even volunteered to be the Den leader for the new group of Tiger Cubs that have come in, which should prove interesting, as I am one of the least organized people you will ever meet. My son was so excited when we went to the informational meeting that he couldn't sit still and kept asking question during the meeting.

Sorry, I just had to get it out there about my, and my son's, excitement for this and was wondering if anyone else has gone through the program as a boy and then turned around and went through it as an adult as well.

I was in scouts as well as a kid but that was thirty five/forty years ago for me. We had great leaders and I also agree that it makes you a better person later in life. Should really be fun for your son with your involvement. I'm sure it will give him some great memories when he is much older.

That is what I am hoping for. I know many of the memories I have from being a kid revolve around scouts, especially some of the time I spent with my dad.

So, I'm used to being one of, if not the only one, who went through Scouts. I started off in Tiger Cubs when I was in first grade and moved all the way through, becoming an Eagle Scout shortly before my 18th birthday. I was fully involved in everything from the beginning, earning as much as I could and going to everything I could. I firmly believe that if it weren't for Scouts, I wouldn't be the man I am today. So, tuesday evening I signed my 7 year old son up for scouts. I cannot express how much I am looking forward to going through this with him. I am so excited that I have even volunteered to be the Den leader for the new group of Tiger Cubs that have come in, which should prove interesting, as I am one of the least organized people you will ever meet. My son was so excited when we went to the informational meeting that he couldn't sit still and kept asking question during the meeting.

Sorry, I just had to get it out there about my, and my son's, excitement for this and was wondering if anyone else has gone through the program as a boy and then turned around and went through it as an adult as well.

I also started as a Tiger Cub and went on to earn the rank of Eagle Scout. Scouts has taken me places and given me the skills that no other organization could. I'm excited for you and your son to take the journey together. I can't wait untill I have kids and have them become Cub Scouts. Good luck and have fun.

Side Note: Ironically I never earned the Golfing Merit Badge.

Side Note: Ironically I never earned the Golfing Merit Badge.

Me neither. I didn't even play golf until after I was done with high school and couldn't earn badges anymore. lol

That is what I am hoping for. I know many of the memories I have from being a kid revolve around scouts, especially some of the time I spent with my dad.

That is what is important. My grandparents lived on a lake when I was growing up so I have great memories of those times spent with them and my dad fishing and boating.

One of my scout leaders is 85 now and I have told him I have great memories of him taking us camping & fishing when we were kids.

Same can be said of the memories I have with my grandparents and parents when it comes to golf. The bottom line is to do with this stuff with your kids. My dad played golf with his buddies just like we do now, but he always set aside a day or two a week to be with me and my brother. That was a special time.

As they say, nothing lasts forever, but the memories do.

Another thing that I'm hoping comes of this is friendship. I have 3 really close friends, and 2 of them I have known since we were young, and both of them I was involved in with scout. I went all the way through the program with one. We had our Eagle court of honors together, and earned everything at about the same pace. His father was one of my leaders, whom I still see often and we still discuss our times on different campouts and our time at camp every summer. My friend has a son who is a couple years older than my boy, but he and I still discussed the possiblity of our boys being in scouts together. Unfortunately, they live in a different part of the state now.

I too was a scout from a young age and am and Eagle Scout. I am currently a Boy Scout Master and I have to say that there are so many aspects of the scouting program that I think the kids of today will benefit from. I know that Scouts positively influenced my life and I have seen it influence many of today's kids in a positive way. I applaude you for getting your kid into scouts, he will thank you some day.

I think it's a great program for kids to be in. I grew up doing scouts as a kid, earning my eagle scout and learned invaluable lessons in those years. In a generation where kids would rather play video games, it's a great program to get kids outside and learn respect for the outdoors. I don't have kids, but if / when I do I will defiantly getting them involved.

Mark me down as another who went from cub scouts all the way to Eagle Scout. I loved my time in scouts and a was a scout master when my son was in cub scouts.

I got my Eagle on my 17th Birthday. Scouts brought me everywhere from the Floirda Keys all the way to Switzerland. I am very thankful for the time I spent experiencing things while in Scouts.

I don't hold the program in as high a regard as I used to, but this is not the time nor place to discuss it.

I never participated in Cub Scouts as a kid, but my youngest son had a few friends that were Cub Scouts so he joined. He was a Cub Scout from third to sixth grade. A few of the scouts are still his close friends but now that they're in high school none of them are in scouting anymore. Lots of these same kids are on his JV football and lacrosse teams.

He learned a lot from scouting, from shooting BB guns, to starting fires, to cooking by campfire. I participated in a couple of Father/Son outings which is big for me since I'm a city boy. We had a blast - those are times I'll never forget. Good times, good times.

was in the scouts for a long time -started in tiger cubs. only made it to life scout though. i just wanted to camp and could do that with my dad anytime i wanted. He was the scoutmaster for many years. but i did learn a lot from it. still using my knot skills at work. I had some great times and still am proud that if i get lost in the woods and know i could bear grill it for a couple days if need be!

I participated in cub scouts receiving my Webelos badges and the Arrow of Light, but I never made the jump to boy scouts. Almost 30 years later, I still have a lot of great memories.

Ryan, best wishes for to you and your son.

My boy will join up when he is a little older. I was not a Scout, but I want my kids to have the experience. My daughter is a Daisy and she is enjoying it so far.

Wow this brings back memories.... I was a Cub from 72'-74'. I remember having a fantastic time, with cook outs, the yearly jamboree, camping, astronomy nights and a bunch of other things. I am sure just like now, it completely depends on who the cub leaders are. I joined scouts afterwards, but only stayed a few months- just wasn't the same fun. If I am in a place where they have cubs, I would certainly encourage my son to join.

As another Eagle Scout, I have a ton of good memories. One of my favorite things I went to a National Jamboree, back in 98 I think. Also logged a lot of miles on the Appalachian Trail, and continue to go on backpacking trips every couple of years.

If I have a son someday I'm definitely going to get him involved. You learn all kinds of things that you wouldn't otherwise have a chance to. It wasn't always glamorous being in the scouts, especially once I was in highschool as they weren't really regarded too highly but I never really cared.

I was a cub scout way back---did the scout thing through HS too--learned a lots of good stuff---have found that scouting programs are only as good as the volunteers that lead the groups--like most things I guess

I was never a Scout myself when I was a boy, but I did get to be a Wolf Den Leader for a number of years. That was always fun!

Back