custom putter maker aficianados?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
For those here at THP who buy and, or use custom ,one of a kind, putters produced by Byron Morgan, Kari Lajosi, David Mills, Lamont Mann, Gene Nead etc... my question is why ?
Is it that you want a unique head shape ? Specific head weight ?Unique head material ?Unique shaft orientation? Unique finish? Unique alignment aids? Personal stamps and, or, engravings ?
The reason I've bought my custom putters was to own particular head weights (not offered by OEM brands). Also, alignment preferences such as naked tops or site dots are usually hard to find within the OEM brand stock lines of putters.

the idea of someone spending a great deal of time and attention on something that I putt with is enormously interesting to me.

Putters are basic enough to accommodate such a thing.

My question is, if price isn't a concern, why not?

Some of us just love putters. The beauty, the simplicity mixed with fine details, limitless customization, and something truly unique in a world of stock.

the idea of someone spending a great deal of time and attention on something that I putt with is enormously interesting to me.

Go for it !

My question is, if price isn't a concern, why not?

I think the answer to that is most consumers trust the most well known brand names, such as Cameron, Odyssey, TM, Ping. And usually those same consumers believe it is most prestigious to play with the recognizable brand names that Tour players use.

There's multiple reasons and I'm sure they're different for everybody. It's fun and cool to have unique stuff so there's a bit of a hipster mentality to it for sure, but mostly I just enjoy having a say in every aspect of a putter from weight, neck type, toe hang, finish, milling, stamping etc. Even if it ends up being similar to something you could buy off the shelf - this one was made for me specifically. If you shop around a full custom can be had for right around the price of many retail milled putters, so sometimes it's not even about spending more money.

That being said, I've had really mixed experiences with a lot of putter makers which can really take the shine off it. A lot of trust and luck involved.

I think the answer to that is most consumers trust the most well known brand names, such as Cameron, Odyssey, TM, Ping. And usually those same consumers believe it is most prestigious to play with the recognizable brand names that Tour players use.
Do they also get paid by those brands to play them? ;)

That being said, I've had really mixed experiences with a lot of putter makers which can really take the shine off it. A lot of trust and luck involved.
Truer words, man. Oye.

I understand that part of it. I view it a lot like I do with any of the equipment. Seeing the design segment and knowing that technology is being pushed, is a lot of time and something I enjoy following.

I understand that part of it. I view it a lot like I do with any of the equipment. Seeing the design segment and knowing that technology is being pushed, is a lot of time and something I enjoy following.
Absolutely understand and agree. MOI, insert tech... It's all there to be had.

for me its the ability to create something beautiful. I used to have a couple, but unfortunately have had to sell them. I still have one. My byron. It has a wonderful finish to it and has a stamping to commemorate my family.

Cant get something I would consider beautiful from your typical stock OEM putter. Even the garage at Odyssey/Toulon is pretty limited in terms of finishes and other options (unless it's really changed since I last looked at it haha).

Regarding "mixed experiences with a lot of putter makers" , I try to remember these guys are craftsmen. So, when ordering a putter from a craftsman I don't expect to receive the communication or customer service I would get from a salesman or businessman.
Dealing with custom putter makers reminds me of the times I've commissioned art work, such as portrait of the family dog or some local theme art to decorate a vacation rental property. Usually communication is a little challenging, making for not a typical buyer-seller business deal, but I've found that in the end the product I receive is worth it.

Regarding "mixed experiences with a lot of putter makers" , I try to remember these guys are craftsmen. So, when ordering a putter from a craftsman I don't expect to receive the communication or customer service I would get from a salesman or businessman.
Dealing with custom putter makers reminds me of the times I've commissioned art work, such as portrait of the family dog or some local theme art to decorate a vacation rental property. Usually communication is a little challenging, making for not a typical buyer-seller business deal, but I've found that in the end the product I receive is worth it.
Agree 100%, but my issues aren't with the customer service as much as they are with the product itself. Even with the appropriate expectations going in, it's not too much to ask for them to not screw up the CNC work, or use the cheapest metal they can get their hands on etc etc. My biggest gripe with guys like Lajosi, Byron, Kingston etc is that in the event that they make a mistake the product still gets sent out. They either have no quality control, or they don't think the customer will care, or both.

Reactions: JB
Do they also get paid by those brands to play them? ;)

On the PGA Tour pay for play is definitely prevalent, but actual facts are hard to verify.

On the PGA Tour pay for play is definitely prevalent, but actual facts are hard to verify.
Debatable. Very debatable.

Prize pools are real. Sponsorships are real. Those things can't be denied. Its a big reason SC is as "revered" as it is, and I say that owning 2 Circle-T's.

Heres a perfect example I just saw on my Instagram feed.

Cherry bombs are off center horizontally and vertically. I highly doubt that was a customer request.
They should be ashamed of that, yet it will get sent out.
af95055b5de7802456ad69da57b97b5e.jpg

Debatable. Very debatable.

Prize pools are real. Sponsorships are real. Those things can't be denied. Its a big reason SC is as "revered" as it is, and I say that owning 2 Circle-T's.

I think they are one of the only ones in the putter game still doing it though. It definitely works.

You are right, tech is something many consumers have an interest in and want to buy. And technology benefit claims could even be the number one reason many consumers buy a particular putter (or any club).
I do, but most people probably don't consider head weight or face milling (two factors offered by custom putter makers) , as "technology".

I think they are one of the only ones in the putter game still doing it though. It definitely works.

Absolutely it does, its what made the brand what it is, maybe the most brilliant putter marketing ever.

Heres a perfect example I just saw on my Instagram feed.

Cherry bombs are off center horizontally and vertically. I highly doubt that was a customer request.
They should be ashamed of that, yet it will get sent out.

I read you, but I've never looked at Kingston or bought one of that company's putters.
My only customs are from Byron and also Lajosi. Both of those makers have sent me sensational putters.
At one time I owned a custom Scotty Cameron 009. I sold it because my Byron and Lajosi putters looked and performed as well as my custom Scotty.

I figured Odyssey and TM pay players to use their putters , but that's just an assumption I've made.

I figured Odyssey and TM pay players to use their putters , but that's just an assumption I've made.
He's speaking pay to play "prize pools" rather than sponsorship to a brand.

He's speaking pay to play "prize pools" rather than sponsorship to a brand.

Correct. All brands have full sponsored players. The non-sponsored athletes that are using them, are not compensated outside of pay to play pools and winners pools. I believe SC is the only alternative there, although TaylorMade might still offer one.

Kingston does make quality putters from what I have seen/heard about them.

Byron will have the occasional issue but typically does excellent work as does lajosi and lamont.

Correct. All brands have full sponsored players. The non-sponsored athletes that are using them, are not compensated outside of pay to play pools and winners pools. I believe SC is the only alternative there, although TaylorMade might still offer one.
If not, they might want to consider doing it to guarantee play of their top model with what is coming from another brand. hahahaha

Back