Did the USGA Overdo It with the Knee Drop?

What's knee height?
Tallest - Shortest.jpg

How much can I bend my knees before it's no longer knee height?
side hill drop.jpg

What if I'm on a slope like this?
Slope.jpg
If you drop on one side it's an easy 6+ foot drop. On the other side, you're basically placing the ball.

I don’t think it’s just the USGA who make changes to the rules of golf ?

My issue is that it ‘feels’ like you are trying to cheat, not letting others see what you are doing. The old way, if someone was across the fairway, seemed like a grand statement of “I’m taking a drop”

I don't think the essence/intention of the rule is wrong. But penalty for dropping too high, geez. From common sense point of view, knee high should be considered the lowest height you can drop. If one should drop at all, as stated you already got penalty in most of the cases, why not just place it and continue?

I think the bad part is exactly knee height. Anything between knee and shoulder would be fine.

I really hate this rule. I wish they'd left it alone or wrote it "any height above the knee."

If you're not making the walk of shame back to the tee after losing a ball in the woods and just dropping somewhere taking a 2 stroke penalty instead you're not playing golf according to the rules anyway. If you do that it's a DQ for the round. (what you should do is write down par + HC for the hole) Drop a ball for practice the rest of the hole but you can't count those strokes. In such a case does dropping from knee height matter? I don't think so. I'm assuming this is where most people end up making drops.

I really hate this rule. I wish they'd left it alone or wrote it "any height above the knee."

If you're not making the walk of shame back to the tee after losing a ball in the woods and just dropping somewhere taking a 2 stroke penalty instead you're not playing golf according to the rules anyway. If you do that it's a DQ for the round. (what you should do is write down par + HC for the hole) Drop a ball for practice the rest of the hole but you can't count those strokes. In such a case does dropping from knee height matter? I don't think so. I'm assuming this is where most people end up making drops.

Best idea I've heard "any height above knee"

On your other point, practicing is breaking rules too ... (Rule 7)

Gotta hate rules sometimes :)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I don’t like the rule either but at my course the vast majority of drops are from water hazards, not lost ball or O.B. There are also unplayable lie or ground under repair drops.

Should have just said anywhere between knee and shoulder height and have it done with. I do enjoy my gammy knee drops though ;)

Coaching HS kids, it’s hilarious to watch them taking awkward knee drops.

I know in a couple years it’ll be second nature, but, I think they wiffed on this one.

Absolutely yes they overdid it. This is one of the changes that was not needed at all.

I don't know. Maybe I'm not as bothered by it as some. I think give it another season or two and it will be second nature for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's dumb... getting your hand to exactly knee height, no closer to the hole, and dropping a ball without hitting yourself is very awkward. I never saw anyone in my local games have issues with the previous shoulder height drops?

I'm okay with it. I think it did what it intended to do. I've grown tired of players stretching the rules to get every little edge they can get when it comes to drops, relief, etc. It seems like most of the objection is people thinking it looks funny (Because standing straight up with an outstretched arm looked perfectly natural).

Since I'm all for as much gamesmanship as possible, I say let their opponent place the ball. I can see a few placed...with emphasis....deep in the grass. LOL.

No question that they definitely overdid it. My guess is they change this again to something less stupid very soon. They've just been the target of too much public (and professional) ridicule from day 1 to stand firm on this decision. Easy fix to just define a range of acceptable drop heights. If waist height is the upper limit it would do enough to prevent most of the 'drops' that were intended to deliberately roll out of the drop zone.

This is my least favorite rule change by a mile. It looks and feels ridiculously awkward. I have short arms, so I feel like I have to curtsy to perform a drop.

Anything above knee would have been fine. Or below waist. A range between the two. I don't care too much so long as it doesn't require you to bend awkwardly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree with this. Anywhere from knee to waist should be fine.

Yep, anything above the knee. A no brainer really, since there isn’t a competitive advantage to dropping higher.

The reason it was lowered from shoulder height was to reduce the force of gravity on the drop. The goal (as I understand it) was to reduce the two drops and then place, which was a trending tactic.
If pace of play was the issue, I'd be fine with going straight to placing the ball.

Not sure if was mentioned (slim alert on me), but knee drops just look "off" to me, everyone has a different ratio of leg/torso/arm length, so the stance can be awkward. I would think a middle ground is drop around waist height, but no lower than the knee and no higher than the shoulder. If you go below knee or above shoulder, drop again and after 2 drops place if you need to still.

"Did the USGA screw up the...."

Yes.

I think they messed up a little by not saying anything above the knee. When I first heard of the change I thought guys would be dropping like I always do. I take a ball outta my pocket and throw it down no big deal. I feel like you should able to place the Ball honestly

Like I said. I don't keep a handicap. Most of my rounds are solo so I can't record them anyway so I really don't care about this rule. Clubs play too early in the morning and I can't function before 9:00 am. I tried to talk my old club into 1:30 tee off time so we'd finish in time for happy hour. 40% agreed. 60% had stuff to do in the afternoon. If I'm playing match with someone I'll do this as close as possible.

I’m in the minority here, but I don’t mind it at all. I think once people get over the awkward drops it will be much better. Should see way less drop/drop/place situations and eventually I think it does help pace, just not right now.

As far as the awkward drops, it really cracks me up! If someone asked me to touch my knee, I’m not gonna bend over sideways to try to do it. So I don’t understand why people are trying to take drops this way and making it much more awkward than it has to be.

It's dumb... getting your hand to exactly knee height, no closer to the hole, and dropping a ball without hitting yourself is very awkward. I never saw anyone in my local games have issues with the previous shoulder height drops?

The rule does not indicate knee "cap" height, just "knee height". Take a look at a picture of a knee...It runs a couple of inches above and below the patella (knee cap). You can just about get there by hanging your arm straight down your side.

"any height at or above the knee" would have been sufficient IMO

The rule does not indicate knee "cap" height, just "knee height". Take a look at a picture of a knee...It runs a couple of inches above and below the patella (knee cap). You can just about get there by hanging your arm straight down your side.

Unless you have T-Rex arms like me, haha! Just measured: 8.5 inches from finger tips to knee cap. :(

I think some of the awkwardness comes in because you also have to drop it off to the side so it doesn't hit you. I think between knee height and waist would accomplish the intended goal (less drop/drop/place situations) and remove the awkwardness of the drop. But that's just me. :)

Back