I just found out I'm 5% goat. WTF?

Just ordered tests for my wife and I...I’m probably 100% white trash hillbilly

A fun fact that my daughter discovered when researching her ancestors for a biology class.

My great, great grandparents were born in the county of Roscommon Ireland which has the smallest population of any county in Ireland. At the time she discovered this we lived on Roscommon Court in California, a street with the same spelling and only 2 other homes on it. A very strange coincidence!

Evidently they came to the U.S. during the Great Famine of the 1840’s where about 1/3 of the population of that region of Ireland was wiped out.
32af8ce8a17e9cd76e15e126bf8e61d3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A fun fact that my daughter discovered when researching her ancestors for a biology class.

My great, great grandparents were born in the county of Roscommon Ireland which has the smallest population of any county in Ireland. At the time she discovered this we lived on Roscommon Court in California, a street with the same spelling and only 2 other homes on it. A very strange coincidence!

Evidently they came to the U.S. during the Great Famine of the 1840’s where about 1/3 of the population of that region of Ireland was wiped out.
32af8ce8a17e9cd76e15e126bf8e61d3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay.... that is freaky weird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine says 100% A Hole!!!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I bet some of the folks on here that say they are opposed to having their DNA tested to learn about their ancestry, probably have their iPhones or On Star set for location tracking

I bet some of the folks on here that say they are opposed to having their DNA tested to learn about their ancestry, probably have their iPhones or On Star set for location tracking
I do. My issue with the dna being out there is it is forever. It's not just impacting me today, but it could impact my kids in 30 years.

I'm not a tinfoil hat kinda guy, there are just too many questions for me to ignorw just for some fun information.

No Onstar but I use an iPhone and pay attention to what can and can’t use my location, and no facebook apps.

DNA is something else, it just doesn’t need to be part of the equation of my data out there.

The idea of privacy with any of your personal info is a joke. I’ve worked in “big data” for almost the last 10 years and have seen behind the curtain of companies like Facebook, Google, Uber, AT&T, Cerner, etc...just give up. You’d be better just listing your SSN on your Facebook page.

How do these test make you aware of cousins or family members or what not? I know I'm a good bit Italian. I'd be curious to know what else, but not sure how they match you up with relatives you didn't know about. Can someone enlighten me on that process? Does it rely on those relatives having done something with the same service?

Also, does it tell you when your ancestors came over or do you find that out by doing research? I guess, how much work is done for you when you do that DNA test kit?

How do these test make you aware of cousins or family members or what not? I know I'm a good bit Italian. I'd be curious to know what else, but not sure how they match you up with relatives you didn't know about. Can someone enlighten me on that process? Does it rely on those relatives having done something with the same service?

Also, does it tell you when your ancestors came over or do you find that out by doing research? I guess, how much work is done for you when you do that DNA test kit?

As long as you know the names of some of your ancestors, you can then go on ancestry.com and find other relatives in your family tree. Then you can find out which ones immigrated and when. Once you start learning and finding out more of who your ancestors were, you can then start to build an online family tree which will then produce historic documents for you which will give you further details about your ancestors and show you even more of them that you never heard of. Every time you learn of one new name that connects to your family tree, it usually leads to others and takes you further and further back in your historical ancestrial time line. So far I have the names of many of my relatives as far back as the late 16th century and hope to go back even further in time. It takes patience however and time spent researching.

As long as you know the names of some of your ancestors, you can then go on ancestry.com and find other relatives in your family tree. Then you can find out which ones immigrated and when. Once you start learning and finding out more of who your ancestors were, you can then start to build an online family tree which will then produce historic documents for you which will give you further details about your ancestors and show you even more of them that you never heard of. Every time you learn of one new name that connects to your family tree, it usually leads to others and takes you further and further back in your historical ancestrial time line. So far I have the names of many of my relatives as far back as the late 16th century and hope to go back even further in time. It takes patience however and time spent researching.

But from what I'm reading in your response, that's not necessarily DNA test is it? Correct me if I'm not following, but that seems like more of ancestry.com and research.

I'm going to take one in the hopes I am 1/1024 Native American and can get a job at Harvard and become a US Senator

But from what I'm reading in your response, that's not necessarily DNA test is it? Correct me if I'm not following, but that seems like more of ancestry.com and research.

That is correct.

My wife did one just because, there was a .01% unknown in there. I told her I knew she was an alien!!!!!!

I haven't bothered to get one done because as an earthbound extraterrestrial I don't want the government knocking at my door. :)

It's 2 things and people do one or the other or both. One is a DNA Heritage test and the other would be a Family Tree. On the DNA test, if you choose to, you can "share" your results and it will show all your 4th cousins and stuff that have also used that same service. The DNA tests are only good for 6 generations, since those are all you'd really still have DNA from.

The other is a Family Tree builder, you just start with yourself and parents/gp's/gpp's and their birth dates and within a short time it will start bringing you back birth, marriage, death cert, census, military records as well as other people's trees to re-use and "accept" their hints. That is where there is a major problem with all these services. Once you get before 1700, everyone's trees on Ancestry start looking the same and begin pointing back to the same Lords, Knights, Princesses and Ladies and so forth (because their families are the ones who would have actually kept records), and then people confirm those trees as aligning with their own and including misspellings etc, and so forth and then you have no idea what you are actually "confirming" with their "hints" and "matches." I wouldn't bother building a family tree back before 1700, unless you absolutely can verify the records, which you probably can't - unless perhaps you hire some professional researchers.

23andMe only has the DNA Heritage Test.

Ancestry.com's strong point is their tree builder and especially their layout, they also have a DNA Heritage Test, but it's quite a bit more generalized over 23andMe. One strength of Ancestry's setup, however, is if you have built your tree and also used their DNA test it will show you other people (called a circle) that have also built a tree that pointed to those same ancestors AND whom you share some DNA (again, only good to back around 1800). So in that respect it can help you at least verify some of your earlier tree entries. They also include "migrations" if your tree points back to specific times/areas and other folks you share DNA with also have those same patterns. In my case, both my father's parents from Missouri have ancestors in the tree back to the mid-1600's Virginia colonies and that shows up since thousands of others I share DNA with also have as well. A lot of people pay Ancestry for a year, build out their tree, then export the gedcom file (along with the supporting records) into a desktop Tree program.

MyHeritage also does both the tree, test, cousin-findin' but their layout is not very good and their results even more generalized.

Here is a comparison of my own 23andMe, Ancestry, and MyHeritage ethnicity results. Note that Ancestry's "England, Wales & Northwestern Europe" also covers major parts of France/Netherlands/Belgium/Germany, etc.

3rUejfh.jpg
ltCoxDQ.jpg
GoCIZco.jpg

You can also use your raw DNA file into other tools like Gedcom Genesis for heritage and also into Promothease for the health results.

Last edited:
I got my test results back! They confirmed some of what I already knew (moms lineage) and it’s interesting to see more about my dads side. I’m a mutt fo sho ! #mixedkid

bb3be984954e690c452f1d1ba61ee7c9.jpg

af246c560bc9b4bb156ef8f417dd6146.jpg

That's pretty cool y"man...I'm awaiting my results...

Mine will say, "Broadly Hillbilly"

Cliffs? Yes, I’m lazy.

It talks about a lot of the concerns people have with DNA tests, but in a manner that's not super conspiratorial!

Cliffs? Yes, I’m lazy.

There is no “un-share” button. So think about the consequences of sharing your genetic material.

It’s a well written article.

Back