Do Dress Codes bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around here, there is a direct correlation between dress code and course conditions.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

No offense, but this is laughable. I have the same feeling about playing basketball on the gym floor with non-basketball shoes. Nobody wants the game to grow more than I do, but I also feel dress codes have their place.

If I put children in little league or soccer or basketball, tennis or anything else, the first thing they learn and receive is their uniform. If I dont like said unform, I dont say "Its okay lil Jimmy, you play in jeans".

Uniforms distinguish the difference in teams/ have safety equipment. It has nothing to do with comfort.
A golf outfit does neither for someone that wants to wear jeans.

I have no doubt that you want to grow the game you started this sight for for that reason, but your attitude here seems to contradict that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think dress codes help discourage "class" thinking. I'm sure guys in the jeans and t-shirts look at the guys dressed like a tour player and think who does he think he is and we already know how a lot of people feel about the jeans and T-shirt look. A little off topic but I wish more public schools would adopt a dress code. Kids worry way too much about the clothes they wear every day.

Uniforms distinguish the difference in teams/ have safety equipment. It has nothing to do with comfort.

I have no doubt that you want to grow the game you started this sight for for that reason, but your attitude here seems to contradict that.

Life requires different styles of dress for different situations. Don't like wearing slacks and a tie? Well I guess you won't take that higher paying job that requires it. Won't wear a jacket to dinner? I guess you're not eating at the nice restaurant. Have an aversion to wearing a pair of pants that aren't denim? I guess you're not playing the best courses because of it.

Life is about choices. You can choose to dress a certain way and places (not just golf courses) can choose to exclude you from their business. You can still work, eat and play golf but you're not going to do the best of any of them without being willing to dress the part.

Life requires different styles of dress for different situations. Don't like wearing slacks and a tie? Well I guess you won't take that higher paying job that requires it. Won't wear a jacket to dinner? I guess you're not eating at the nice restaurant. Have an aversion to wearing a pair of pants that aren't denim? I guess you're not playing the best courses because of it.

Life is about choices. You can choose to dress a certain way and places (not just golf courses) can choose to exclude you from their business. You can still work, eat and play golf but you're not going to do the best of any of them without being willing to dress the part.

I'm boarding a plane so can't respond although Bullitt hit the nail on the head. Some of this stuff is downright funny.

I mean should I also feel that pace of play should not be dictated because a newcomer to the game might not want to feel rushed? Or is one allowed to feel that dress codes, like all local and course rules absolutely have a place in this amazing game that can create bonds unlike any other.

Maybe its just because I was raised by 'old fashioned' parents, but I enjoy courses with a dress code.

I think a certain amount of decorum is fitting for the game of golf, and even the best courses around here don't have any crazy restrictions.
If having to wear a collared shirt and no denim keeps you off the course, you weren't going to golf much anyways.

And no, I don't really care about growing the game of golf. In our little corner of the world golf is booming...it's hard enough to get a tee time.

I spend all day wearing a uniform. Uniforms are how most things function. Boardrooms, battlefields, lawn care, the basketball court, they all have uniforms. They're what's best suited for the environment. Note that's not necessarily the most comfortable. It's simply the best suited. Courses determine what's best stored for their environment. Don't like it, well, you volunteered to play golf there.

You are correct Steve, if you choose to play at a course that has a dress code then it should be followed. But on the same note, if you choose to play on a course with no dress code then you should not expect everyone to be dressed in what you consider to be proper golf attire.

That's fine there are plenty of over places that are more than happy to take my money, I'm looking at it from a standpoint of the game is already struggling to attract new players so why make it harder?

I just asked my coworker that enjoys golf, is a solid 90s shooter but just doesn't get to golf often, if I invited him to go golfing after work but he would have to wear golf slacks/and a collared shirt would he go? He said there would be no way he go. So right there is someone who already enjoys the game turned off from going out. Yep seems like a great way to grow the game. Perhaps we should also go back to the days where woman weren't able to golf.

Personally I find the bright colors and all orange more distracting from the game, maybe we should ban that also, go with a dress code of only blue or khaki pants with a white or black polo. White shoes and belt only. Then we can really bring the whole team uniform argument into play.

I will start by when I'm at home I love the whole golf clothes get up. As I have more golf slacks/ polos than a man really needs. I find that to be part of the fun in golf is looking the part.

Now I state again I hate dress codes and have left a golf course when they said they required a collared shirt even when having one in the car. If my $50+ isn't good enough for you in a tshirt/work shirt than I suppose it's not good enough for you in a collared shirt.

I feel that everyone that thinks a dress code should be required everywhere truly does care about growing the game of golf. And you can argue it all you want, but it's the truth. Some of my favorite rounds are with people in jeans and work boots.

So you guys can sit there on your elitist chair and watch the game die all because you're glad "they kept the rif-raf away that wanted to wear jeans and tshirt"

Just like most people who chose to dress down are not rif-raf, disrespectful, nor display a lack of etiquette,
most people who dress up are not elitist, snobby, nor stuck up.
The stereotyping works both ways.

Regardless of an individuals social class and social behavior, I still maintain the belief that when people are together in any type of gathering and/or public as well as personal environments they will in general display more or less different levels of (their relative normal) behavior depending the atmosphere they are in which in part can indeed be driven by the attire worn to help create the atmosphere. Not at all to mean terrible behavior vs good behavior but perhaps even simply good vs better.

Even people who normally display a little less than acceptable behaviors will in general (when up dressing) tend to display a little better behavior. People who normally do display good behaviors will (when up dressing) tend to display an even better one. What ever levels of behavioral etiquettes one normally displays, it imo usually will increase for the better when in an atmosphere where the people are dressed more up than down. People just feel more compelled to be on "their" (relatively speaking) better behaviors and self checking them or being more aware of them vs being a bit more free with it all when dressed down.

Sure there are the elitists and snobs and there are also the rif-raf and idiots but most of us (regardless of attire) fall somewhere in between the two extremes and are in general decent well behaved people (I hope). Although as I mentioned earlier I feel there is less and less of it nowadays imo.
But we certainly do imo adjust up or down, or perform a self check and maintenance on our (relative) behavior accordingly at different times and places according to the atmosphere we are in and one in which we must up dress is imo one which usually helps to create an atmosphere where our behavioral etiquettes are better self checked and displayed .

None of this makes anyone an elitist snob if they believe in this nor does it make anyone rif-raf if they don't. But imo I don't think there is any denying that down or up dressing does work to create desired atmospheres which then cause us to adjust our behavior accordingly.

If a given golf course (or any establishment for that matter) desires to create an atmosphere where its guests or patrons are to display their better behavior etiquettes and wish to discourage any lessor behavior etiquettes, one of the ways of doing so is to require or suggest a certain dress code. It simply lets you know that a certain level of behavior is expected. Sure you can end up with a tad more of the elitist snob percentage, but when nothing is enforced you can just the same also end up with the tad more of the rif-raf percentage. However neither of those are most people, but most people (who fit in between) will raise their awareness of their level of behavior etiquettes accordingly.

Last edited:
It makes so little sense to me that clothing dictates if you play golf or not.

A collared shirt and slacks from the Hogan brand can be had for $30 bucks or so. Not a big investment. This is just like the argument of clubs being too expensive. It doesn't hold any water in my eyes. If someone wants to play golf and there is a dress code, it isn't difficult to spend $30 bucks on an outfit that can be worn in many other situations as well.

It does sound like many of the other "arguments" here. Taylor you hit the nail on the head golf clothes are not expensive. The Rock Revival jeans I wear make golf clothes seem cheap.

It makes so little sense to me that clothing dictates if you play golf or not.

A collared shirt and slacks from the Hogan brand can be had for $30 bucks or so. Not a big investment. This is just like the argument of clubs being too expensive. It doesn't hold any water in my eyes. If someone wants to play golf and there is a dress code, it isn't difficult to spend $30 bucks on an outfit that can be worn in many other situations as well.

It is kind of funny reading all the comments that don't actually answer the initial question!!!

Do dress codes bother me? NO... There, I answered the question... I am someone who follows rules, and if I don't like the rules of a game, an establishment, a business etc, then I avoid that situation. So if you don't like dress codes in golf, don't play those courses, plain and simple.

BUT many of you are addressing the SHOULD GOLF COURSES HAVE DRESS CODES? question...

And I say no, there is no need at all. A lot of tennis clubs used to be all white, I used to be belong to one, white shirts, white shoes, white crew length socks... BORING! And those policies changed, and now you can play wearing anything you want.

I have yet to read a single reason explaining WHY a course needs a dress code... Because there isn't... It is strictly about appearance, which is purely superficial.

We always say golf is a sport you play on your own and you are trying to beat yourself, so why not worry about what you wear and how you act and how you play and forget about everyone else. Let them do their own thing.

How does me golfing in jeans and a tank top affect your enjoyment of the game? I am a 3 handicap and often golf in my bathing suit, t-shirt and flip flops... Does that bother you?

This world would be a much better place if people stop trying to control others!!!

It is kind of funny reading all the comments that don't actually answer the initial question!!!

Do dress codes bother me? NO... There, I answered the question... I am someone who follows rules, and if I don't like the rules of a game, an establishment, a business etc, then I avoid that situation. So if you don't like dress codes in golf, don't play those courses, plain and simple.

BUT many of you are addressing the SHOULD GOLF COURSES HAVE DRESS CODES? question...

And I say no, there is no need at all. A lot of tennis clubs used to be all white, I used to be belong to one, white shirts, white shoes, white crew length socks... BORING! And those policies changed, and now you can play wearing anything you want.

I have yet to read a single reason explaining WHY a course needs a dress code... Because there isn't... It is strictly about appearance, which is purely superficial.

We always say golf is a sport you play on your own and you are trying to beat yourself, so why not worry about what you wear and how you act and how you play and forget about everyone else. Let them do their own thing.

How does me golfing in jeans and a tank top affect your enjoyment of the game? I am a 3 handicap and often golf in my bathing suit, t-shirt and flip flops... Does that bother you?

This world would be a much better place if people stop trying to control others!!!

The simple answer is that golf courses are businesses and have the right to dictate what is appropriate attire to enter. I have no issues with dress codes, because the business is allowed to choose their rules. If they want their image to be more upscale, then so be it. If you don't want to abide by their standards, don't play there. It's really that simple.

I will state again that I have seen a direct correlation between course conditions and dress codes. When courses really care about the way their course looks, they tend to care about how their patrons look as well. The two seem to go hand in hand around here.

There are a few courses in my area that allow jeans (even sleeveless shirts) out on the course but those courses are an exception, they are owned by the county and are cheap/decent options for people. I personally will always wear a golf polo and golf shorts/pants.

Just like most people who chose to dress down are not rif-raf, disrespectful, nor display a lack of etiquette,
most people who dress up are not elitist, snobby, nor stuck up.
The stereotyping works both ways.

Regardless of an individuals social class and social behavior, I still maintain the belief that when people are together in any type of gathering and/or public as well as personal environments they will in general display more or less different levels of (their relative normal) behavior depending the atmosphere they are in which in part can indeed be driven by the attire worn to help create the atmosphere. Not at all to mean terrible behavior vs good behavior but perhaps even simply good vs better.

Even people who normally display a little less than acceptable behaviors will in general (when up dressing) tend to display a little better behavior. People who normally do display good behaviors will (when up dressing) tend to display an even better one. What ever levels of behavioral etiquettes one normally displays, it imo usually will increase for the better when in an atmosphere where the people are dressed more up than down. People just feel more compelled to be on "their" (relatively speaking) better behaviors and self checking them or being more aware of them vs being a bit more free with it all when dressed down.

Sure there are the elitists and snobs and there are also the rif-raf and idiots but most of us (regardless of attire) fall somewhere in between the two extremes and are in general decent well behaved people (I hope). Although as I mentioned earlier I feel there is less and less of it nowadays imo.
But we certainly do imo adjust up or down, or perform a self check and maintenance on our (relative) behavior accordingly at different times and places according to the atmosphere we are in and one in which we must up dress is imo one which usually helps to create an atmosphere where our behavioral etiquettes are better self checked and displayed .

None of this makes anyone an elitist snob if they believe in this nor does it make anyone rif-raf if they don't. But imo I don't think there is any denying that down or up dressing does work to create desired atmospheres which then cause us to adjust our behavior accordingly.

I'm not saying elitist is the person dress up to go to the golf course. But the person looking at someone in jeans and a skynard tshirt on the golf course in disgust exudes a certain snobbery reserved for an elitist.

I'm been to more than my fair share of weddings where everyone is dressed up and everyone forgets about good behavior so dressing well does not always lead to good behavior.

As stated above I enjoy the dressing the part. But what I don't enjoy is not knowing wether I can invite a bother, or uncle, or coworker someplace nice to golf because of a dress code. I also rarely ever have golf clothes with me when I'm traveling for work( 8-10 months a year roughly). So I'm not supposed to be able to golf now, when I know I have just as much if not more golf course etiquette as 90% of the people there.

That's fine there are plenty of over places that are more than happy to take my money, I'm looking at it from a standpoint of the game is already struggling to attract new players so why make it harder?

I just asked my coworker that enjoys golf, is a solid 90s shooter but just doesn't get to golf often, if I invited him to go golfing after work but he would have to wear golf slacks/and a collared shirt would he go? He said there would be no way he go. So right there is someone who already enjoys the game turned off from going out. Yep seems like a great way to grow the game. Perhaps we should also go back to the days where woman weren't able to golf.

Personally I find the bright colors and all orange more distracting from the game, maybe we should ban that also, go with a dress code of only blue or khaki pants with a white or black polo. White shoes and belt only. Then we can really bring the whole team uniform argument into play.

Ok let me pose this question to you since your so afraid to scare golfers away, what if a golfer wanted to hit 2 balls on every hole since he wants to get 2 rounds in in one since he could only play once a week. Would you want to play behind him? NO I'm sure you wouldn't but that's what he wants to do so why discourage him from the game.

There are a few courses in my area that allow jeans (even sleeveless shirts) out on the course but those courses are an exception, they are owned by the county and are cheap/decent options for people. I personally will always wear a golf polo and golf shorts/pants.
Those kind of courses are not always the exception. There are ten courses within twenty-five miles of my house, only one of those has a dress code. Coincidentally, it's the only one of the ten I have never played.

I'm not saying elitist is the person dress up to go to the golf course. But the person looking at someone in jeans and a skynard tshirt on the golf course in disgust exudes a certain snobbery reserved for an elitist.

I'm been to more than my fair share of weddings where everyone is dressed up and everyone forgets about good behavior so dressing well does not always lead to good behavior.

As stated above I enjoy the dressing the part. But what I don't enjoy is not knowing wether I can invite a bother, or uncle, or coworker someplace nice to golf because of a dress code. I also rarely ever have golf clothes with me when I'm traveling for work( 8-10 months a year roughly). So I'm not supposed to be able to golf now, when I know I have just as much if not more golf course etiquette as 90% of the people there.

Does packing a polo and slacks really take up that much room in your suitcase? I pack a set of golf clothes on every work trip because I never know if I will be able to play.

As for your friend uncle whatever.. It's not difficult or expensive to buy a golf polo and slacks. One or two of each is plenty for a casual golfer and won't break the bank. That argument just isn't a very strong one IMO

But why not just pack a couple polos and khaki shorts when you travel, it really isn't hard.

I just think golf is built around respect, respect for the rules, fellow players, the course. In our society one way you show respect us through the way you dress. That's why we wear nice clothes for church, court, funerals, and other events where we are paying respect.

I'm not saying you can't show respect for the course etc in jeans and a time and a t shirt. I've played at courses either no or unenforced dress codes, and have played with some great dudes. But there is no doubt in my mind that overall etiquette and treatment of the course is better at the ones with a dress code.

Does packing a polo and slacks really take up that much room in your suitcase? I pack a set of golf clothes on every work trip because I never know if I will be able to play.

As for your friend uncle whatever.. It's not difficult or expensive to buy a golf polo and slacks. One or two of each is plenty for a casual golfer and won't break the bank. That argument just isn't a very strong one IMO

So now someone has to spend more money on an already expensive game to appease you? Seems pretty snobby.

Ok let me pose this question to you since your so afraid to scare golfers away, what if a golfer wanted to hit 2 balls on every hole since he wants to get 2 rounds in in one since he could only play once a week. Would you want to play behind him? NO I'm sure you wouldn't but that's what he wants to do so why discourage him from the game.

I don't care, I'd ask politely to play through as I always do, there are very few people that are able to keep pace with me when I'm by myself so I'm used to playing through. If that is what that person needs to stay interested in golf so be it. Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm even able to bring my kids to the course, as I'm afraid there are to many uptight people that will be offended he they aren't in a polo and khakis swinging aimless at a golf ball.

So now someone has to spend more money on an already expensive game to appease you? Seems pretty snobby.
If one can afford the pricey outlays that golf already requires (clubs, balls, course fees) ... they can afford to buy a collared shirt and a pair of dress shorts (which can double as a golf outfit) from WalMart. No matter what way you slice it, and how badly golf wants to grow the game ... this sport requires a level of expense most others do not.

I often hit 2 or 3 approach shots on each hole when I'm playing evening rounds with my 9 year old daughter. Our average round takes about 70 minutes.

You mean I have to buy a shirt and tie to meet the dress code at work? I already spent a lot of money on the Masters Degree that's required and bought a car so that I can get back and forth to the job. Isn't that enough?

Pretty weak rationale.

You mean I have to buy a shirt and tie to meet the dress code at work? I already spent a lot of money on the Masters Degree that's required and bought a car so that I can get back and forth to the job. Isn't that enough?

Pretty weak rationale.

You are comparing a way to make to living/money to hobby/way to spend money. There is no comparing the two. It's apples in oranges. Quit trying to put the round peg on the square hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back