Do Dress Codes bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone is saying that people need to adhere to a certain dress code for ALL courses. At least I have not interpreted that so far. But if a course chooses to have a dress code, it needs to be respected. If there is not one, then nobody should have a problem.
There have definitely been posts that said that.

I still can't believe McD's threw me out for wearing the same top RF's girl was wearing. So snobby.

You should have worn the 70s style halter top like I told you to.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

There have definitely been posts that said that.
A few people have said that they are not down with people wearing jeans on any golf course. And ... that's their opinion. Fortunately we're all allowed an opinion, and honestly none of us are going to have the capacity to turn those opinions into hard and fast laws that lock us all into a certain form/fashion when out on the course. So why worry about it?

The restaurant analogy is a good one, hadn't thought of that.

I don't think anyone here is harping on someone who is "trying out" golf, going to a muni in jeans and a shirt and beating the ball around the course. But anyone who expects to walk up to a country club or high end public course with that same attitude needs to fall back on the argument put out by a few about dress code at a restaurant, because it is the perfect analogy, IMO.

I think I should be allowed to fly nude. It harms no other person on the plane. It's their elites attitude that won't allow me to fly nude that keeps me from flying more. My money should be all that matters.

In fact sub fly with golf. Why can't I just play golf naked. Or eat naked. Or why do I have to wear clothes at all?

I think I should be allowed to fly nude. It harms no other person on the plane. It's their elites attitude that won't allow me to fly nude that keeps me from flying more. My money should be all that matters.

In fact sub fly with golf. Why can't I just play golf naked. Or eat naked. Or why do I have to wear clothes at all?

The MAN is holding us down!

IMO there are two different arguments going on right now, just because I don't get offended if I see someone in jeans and a t-shirt playing golf at my local public course, doesn't mean I am OK with someone throwing a fit because they can't wear that same outfit out on higher end courses. I also think that, as someone becomes more serious about playing and getting better at the game, that the dress code becomes more acceptable to them.

It is a good job I am not eating my lunch....that is an image I do not want to see!!!!! :sick:

IMO there are two different arguments going on right now, just because I don't get offended if I see someone in jeans and a t-shirt playing golf at my local public course, doesn't mean I am OK with someone throwing a fit because they can't wear that same outfit out on higher end courses. I also think that, as someone becomes more serious about playing and getting better at the game, that the dress code becomes more acceptable to them.

I agree with this all Brad, mainly because I myself went through the last part. I could care less what someone wears if its within the code of the course, now, if I go to a really nice course and shell out some solid cash for a round and see someone in jeans and T's, then I'd definitely take issue.

So when a restaurant says "No shirt, no shoes, no service" it's snobby because they appreciate customers walk into the door fully dressed?

Yep just like Rosa Parks was told to get to the back of the bus. That was also a rule. Is that right? Get with the times. And we wonder why kids don't find it fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep just like Rosa Parks was told to get to the back of the bus. That was also a rule. Is that right? Get with the times. And we wonder why kids don't find it fun.

Kids don't find it fun because they have to wear a polo? Give me a break dude... That has NOTHING to do with it.

It would make getting though airport security quicker.But where do you put your golf tees.
The MAN is holding us down!

Are you really linking the fact that one needs to wear a shirt in a restaurant to the civil rights movement?

The civil rights movement wasn't about making life fun. It was about making life fair. Holy guacamole, I can't believe this line of argumentation. But let me ask you this ... when was the last time someone was lynched for wanting to wear jeans to an upscale golf club? I'd fathom the answer is NEVER. Come up with a new argument, honestly.

Kids don't find it fun because they have to wear a polo? Give me a break dude... That has NOTHING to do with it.

Not the polo, the stuck up attitudes of people on the course. Saying how dare they play in jeans, while drinking beers and taking as many mulligans as they want. Because that's not how gentleman play the game.

I agree with this all Brad, mainly because I myself went through the last part. I could care less what someone wears if its within the code of the course, now, if I go to a really nice course and shell out some solid cash for a round and see someone in jeans and T's, then I'd definitely take issue.

For sure dude. If you're going to take your wife out to a nice dinner, you put a bit more effort in it, get dressed up, pay attention to the little things. If we're grabbing a bite to eat at a local pub, I'm not as worried about wearing jeans and a t shirt. It's the same thing with golf.

In fact, when I play golf with some of my friends that "aren't as serious" I actually tone down how I play a bit, I won't bring my towel with me to the green, I will tone down my outfit a bit, and my attitude in general.

Flying nude?

Guess I could make a health and safety argument. Can you imagine what the person sitting in that seat on the next flight may experience? Ugh.

My ex-wife #2 was a flight attendants, and back in the '80's, men wore shorts that were too short - i.e., see '80's basketball and you get the idea.

I wore shorts on one of her flights.

She said, "Do not wear shorts, ever again on a plane, Can you imagine your sweat and hair for the next passenger? No!"

Thirty years later, she and those words still haunt me, and I have never worn shorts again on a flight.

Use common sense and decorum. Think of others besides your wants.

Not the polo, the stuck up attitudes of people on the course. Saying how dare they play in jeans, while drinking beers and taking as many mulligans as they want. Because that's not how gentleman play the game.

I give up... Simple as this, if you don't want to play in a polo and golf shorts (something virtually everyone should own) then don't play at the course easy as that. I play regularly with multiple friends who just took up the game and dressing the part is something they all enjoy. It isn't contributing to people not playing, if they don't want to play because they have to wear a certain outfit then it isn't the courses problem.

I guess those same people wouldn't go eat at a nice steakhouse if it required a collared shirt either. It just isn't a very good argument, and certainly not one I could ever see leading to less and less people playing.

Less people are playing because of the time commitment, and because instant gratification in my generation is a big thing.. Golf is hard, people don't like to suck at stuff.

Are you really linking the fact that one needs to wear a shirt in a restaurant to the civil rights movement?

No I'm linking a dumb rule from the past to a dumb rule in the present. Telling someone what to wear, where to sit, etc just to appease a select few is ridiculous. I've made opinions heard I really don't have much else to add, hope no one sees me in my Kid Rock shirt and work boots on the course, I'd had to be shamed for not fitting in.

Can I wear So Fine jeans to the course?
Stupid 80's movie about jeans with clear pockets. Popped right in my head after reading the above.

Thanks a lot Bin Laden!

I had the opposite experience the other day. I belong to a club with a pretty strict dress code. Up until a couple of years ago, you were not allowed on the property wearing denim. Now you can wear it to arrive but you had better be making your way to the locker room to change pronto!

I was in a rural town and stopped by a cigar shop. I was wearing a baggy polo shirt untucked, some casual khaki shorts (almost….wait for it….cargo shorts!) and boat shoes. At least three people asked me if I was on the way to the golf course!

Because this is EXACTLY like the Civil Rights Movement. Terrific analogy...

You're comparing a dress code on a golf course to Rosa Parks? Wow, I had no idea jeans and tshirts were that important to some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back