Do we change clubs/gear too much?

ohio_striker

striped it
Reaction score
Handicap
i know people want the newest gear all the time. i am guilty of wanting the newest irons and drivers that come out.

my question is does it hurt our games? i would think that the more time you have with a club and the more reps you have with it the better you will be. people that change clubs every year or 2 by the time they get a good feel for them they change and have to start over.

I'm far too cheap to switch gear more than every several years, so this is no issue :D

my credit card bill would agree with that statement :alien:

Absolutely I know I do. The one thing I keep rather consistent is my irons. But everything else is a disaster.

A wise man in this industry once said.

There are two kinds of golfers. Those that think too much about their equipment and those that dont think enough about it.

There are two kinds of golfers. Those that think too much about their equipment and those that dont think enough about it.

well crap....were all in trouble LOL

I'm definitely the first kind!

Tapping from my IPhone

You only need to spend s short amount of time on here to find out MOST of the members change clubs incredibly often. I would love to be able to afford new clubs every year but that isn't gonna happen. I like to get my money's worth out of whatever I pay for.

Super true. Anyone else have dreams about clubs ? Oh. Me neither.

I'm in transition from the too little to too much. But it's more fun that way and it's always good to know more!

What's too much?

Guess it depends on the reason.

Changing annually the last few years has been pretty effin incredible I must say.

I've finally swung to the "thinks to little" side. I haven't changed a club in my bag in two years. I may swap out a club or two depending on the course, but I have no desire to purchase anything new. Latley I've been searching all the preowned sites and FleaBay to find spares of the ones that are in my bag now should something happen to them.

I think it depends on why I'm changing. If it's just to have the latest and greatest, then I'm probably hurting myself. If it's for a new technology, or if a club is designed to help a certain aspect of my game (today I'm thinking Cleveland Smart Sole wedge) then it can only help……right?

I think it depends on why I'm changing. If it's just to have the latest and greatest, then I'm probably hurting myself. If it's for a new technology, or if a club is designed to help a certain aspect of my game (today I'm thinking Cleveland Smart Sole wedge) then it can only help……right?

Watch the comertials enough and you'll start to believe that the latest and greatest always includes some new tech to improve a certian aspect of your game. So yes, you should buy them. lol

I don't necessarily think that more reps with a club makes you any better in the long run. An open face at impact is an open face at impact regardless of the age of clubs. For me though, buying new gear is part of the enjoyment of the game and puts a massive smile on my face. I think I stick to a pretty normal pattern and I don't think it's "too often"
Driver - every year
FWs/Hybos - I'll keep changing until I find something I love
Irons - Every 2-3 years
Wedges - Every 2 years
Putter - 5 years or so?

I'm always 'testing' new product. To actually make my bag permanently is another thing.

I don't necessarily think that more reps with a club makes you any better in the long run. An open face at impact is an open face at impact regardless of the age of clubs. For me though, buying new gear is part of the enjoyment of the game and puts a massive smile on my face. I think I stick to a pretty normal pattern and I don't think it's "too often"
Driver - every year
FWs/Hybos - I'll keep changing until I find something I love
Irons - Every 2-3 years
Wedges - Every 2 years
Putter - 5 years or so?

i think a driver/FW every year or so is a bit crazy i mean technology doesnt change that much maybe every 3 years a noticable diff. but hey if it brings you joy im all for it whatever makes people happy i mean thats why we play .

i think a driver/FW every year or so is a bit crazy i mean technology doesnt change that much maybe every 3 years a noticable diff. but hey if it brings you joy im all for it whatever makes people happy i mean thats why we play .
Yeah, I don't need a new driver every year at all. But there's just something about walking up to the 1st tee with a new driver that I love. I have problems hehe.

I have only recently started changing whats in the bag. Getting new irons after fitting on my birthday next weekend. Already purchased new driver and new putter last 3 months. .. to my defense my irons are about 8yrs old( titleist 690.mb) not sure the age but my fairway woods are callaways steelhead III with steel shafts and my putter was a scotty about 6 yrs old. So im actually excited with all the technology. The loft in irons excited me.. almost 4 degrees different in the gi line... I just hope I dont start a bad habbit in wanting "new and shiny"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Absolutely, and I wouldn't change it for ANYTHING.

I was one who didn't like to really swap equipment in and out all that often. Then THP came and I realized how much I was missing out on. In the last few years I've some really great equipment make it's way in and out of my bag. I still am of the feeling that if something performs you should keep it till something better comes along. But that feeling isn't as strong as it was before.

I always want the latest gear and cant help myself. This year alone I have had 4 sets of irons, 3 putters and 3 drivers. My current set of speedblades are the first set I was fitted for and I hope to have them for more than a year.

I just love ordering new stuff, getting excited for it to arrive like a kid waiting for Christmas and then getting it on the course. Then it wears off and then you start the cycle again, I really need help

My last set was with me for over 10 years and my latest investment with be with me for the next 10 unless i hit the lottery. i think some if this for some is like a kid in the candy store and if one has the resources to go for it then knock yourself out and have fun.

I do think frequent changes are far more for self gratification much more so than improvement. But i think by default some of it does help ones game. Simply because they get to use more clubs, more often and by default they simply stumble upon ones that feel better to them. Its not really imo that each years sets of clubs are all that much better. It is the arrow in the end and not the indian anyway but there is something to be said to have the club/shaft in your hand that works best for your swing and comfort and the more of them one is able to use the more chances they can determine which ones they work best with.

Honestly, I don't think I have been guilty of this - I gradually changed out my entire bag this year except the driver, but I desperately needed a refresh. With the exception of driver (which I changed last year because my old one busted), I hadn't bought a new club since 2008 until this year. My wedges especially badly needed a change - 5 years does a number on some wedge grooves.

That being said, I love the shiny as much as everyone else here. I don't think it's a big issue to change out gear frequently as long as you don't make any super radical changes. I also think that you can get away with changing driver/FW's/hybos more often than irons/wedges/putter, because as the clubs get shorter, more feel is involved, and therefore more familiarity is required with those clubs to play well with them.

LOL heck yes!

I just bought my 6th set of irons in three years. Lost track of hybrid and fairway woods. Way to many shafts.

It's a disease and THP is the enabler.
But I'm totally good with that.

Back